The Student Room Group

Advice needed

Hello all,
Unfortunately I underperformed quite badly in the UKCAT which came as a bit of a surprise as I was doing quite well in the practice. I’m not really sure as to what I should do or whether I should just in general change my career path. I was planning on doing the BMAT but I am afraid I will underperform there too and since the exam is after my UCAS app sendoff, I’m not sure whether to take it and I have no idea what to do. Any advice would be greatly appreciated
Thank you :smile:
Original post by M.artynal
Hello all,
Unfortunately I underperformed quite badly in the UKCAT which came as a bit of a surprise as I was doing quite well in the practice. I’m not really sure as to what I should do or whether I should just in general change my career path. I was planning on doing the BMAT but I am afraid I will underperform there too and since the exam is after my UCAS app sendoff, I’m not sure whether to take it and I have no idea what to do. Any advice would be greatly appreciated
Thank you :smile:

What resources did you use to practice? Medify etc... How much time did you spend a day practising, and how early did you start preparing?
I bought a book and used medify mock exams. I started the book around early June but in all honesty I only started vigorous revision three weeks or so ago, honestly didn’t count the hours but I completed around 2,000 questions altogether
I bought a book and used medify mock exams. I started the book around early June but in all honesty I only started vigorous revision three weeks or so ago, honestly didn’t count the hours but I completed around 2,000 questions altogether

Right. Do you mind sharing your real avg score and the avg scores you got in medify?
We could compare it to Cutoffs (PM or on here)This would be helpful :smile:

Many medical schools don't have a large weighting on the UCAT, so maybe try applying to those.
Why not have a go at BMAT and throw in one or two BMAT unis?

If you really, really want to study medicine and are still considering it. Put some strategic applications in this year anyway, just have a go. If you don't get any offers, theres always a gap year where you can better prepare for the UCAT. Don't give up at this very early stage.
Medify is a shambles. I used them last year and was consistently getting +700 and Band 1s.

In the end, I got an average of 650 which wasn't too far off from what i was getting in my mocks but, I ended up going from band 1 to band 3. I think their marking is way too lenient.

That's why i've been using UCAT Ninja for the past month and I prefer it so much to the Medify UCAT tool as it really gives more 'constructive' feedback, and the techniques seem to work better for me.
Original post by IsrarAfzal186
Medify is a shambles. I used them last year and was consistently getting +700 and Band 1s.

In the end, I got an average of 650 which wasn't too far off from what i was getting in my mocks but, I ended up going from band 1 to band 3. I think their marking is way too lenient.

That's why i've been using UCAT Ninja for the past month and I prefer it so much to the Medify UCAT tool as it really gives more 'constructive' feedback, and the techniques seem to work better for me.

Yeah, that’s exactly the same boat I’m in, I was getting an average of 750 and band 1 consistently so I’m super disappointed
I think it's important that you use a number of resources to prepare for the UCAT. Although Medify is a great and reputable resource, it isn't perfect. I would definitely agree that the Medify SJT is too lenient in the type of questions being used. A combination of online courses, Medic mind, Medify, UCAT Ninja and medic portal are all great resources.
Yeah, that’s exactly the same boat I’m in, I was getting an average of 750 and band 1 consistently so I’m super disappointed

In terms of changing the career path, that's down to how you feel about it. If you're serious about going into medicine/dentistry, I would tell you to resit next year. If you're not too sure about going into that sort of field, maybe look at something like pharmacy or even apprenticeships.

There are many career paths out there, just have a look and decide from there because the only person who knows what you really want to pursue as a career... is you.
Original post by TSU - Mod
I think it's important that you use a number of resources to prepare for the UCAT. Although Medify is a great and reputable resource, it isn't perfect. I would definitely agree that the Medify SJT is too lenient in the type of questions being used. A combination of online courses, Medic mind, Medify, UCAT Ninja and medic portal are all great resources.

Thank you. It’s gonna take me a few days to decide what to do but everything I do has a risk, so if I don’t succeed this year I shall attempt the admissions process again next year, and hopefully do a little better somehow
In terms of changing the career path, that's down to how you feel about it. If you're serious about going into medicine/dentistry, I would tell you to resit next year. If you're not too sure about going into that sort of field, maybe look at something like pharmacy or even apprenticeships.

There are many career paths out there, just have a look and decide from there because the only person who knows what you really want to pursue as a career... is you.

Yes, thank you. I considered radiology but I honestly am a little lost, as I really don’t want to give up on medicine. I’m worried as I’m running out of time to make decisions at this point :/
Yes, thank you. I considered radiology but I honestly am a little lost, as I really don’t want to give up on medicine. I’m worried as I’m running out of time to make decisions at this point :/

This may sound a bit stupid but, try not too stress out too much and just make sure you pick what works best for YOU.

If you're torn between the two, get an insight into the two different career paths by talking to someone studying/working in those fields. You might even be able to find some on TSR!
This may sound a bit stupid but, try not too stress out too much and just make sure you pick what works best for YOU.

If you're torn between the two, get an insight into the two different career paths by talking to someone studying/working in those fields. You might even be able to find some on TSR!

Yeah I had a placement at the radiology departments and found it really interesting. I’m debating going into something like biochemistry but I’m not really sure what kind of jobs I could have following graduation
Yeah I had a placement at the radiology departments and found it really interesting. I’m debating going into something like biochemistry but I’m not really sure what kind of jobs I could have following graduation

https://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=3&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=2ahUKEwi625LD76jkAhXUlFwKHVnFBIcQFjACegQICxAH&url=https%3A%2F%2Fsire-search.com%2Fblogs%2Fbiochemistry-jobs-what-are-the-opportunities-after-graduating-1399638&usg=AOvVaw0-69IbNoBMDB7HuS-I6JHl

The link above should take you to a site where there's a list of jobs you can get post-graduation with a biochemistry degree

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending