The Official Formula One 2020 Season Thread Watch

quasa
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 months ago
Hey everyone, Ive decided to start the 2020 thread a bit early as the provisional calendar got released today. Feel free to post anything f1 or motoring related and remember, no offensive content unless it is soft banter.

Provisional Calender For The 2020 F1 Season

March 15 Melbourne, Australia
March 22 Sakhir, Bahrain
April 5 Hanoi, Vietnam
April 19 Shaghai, China
May 3 Zandvoort, Netherlands (Holland)
May 10 Circuit de Barcelona - Catalunya, Barcelona, Spain
May 24 Monte Carlo, Monaco
June 7 Baku, Azerbaijan
June 14 Circuit Gille Villenueve, Montreal, Canada
June 28 Paul Ricard (Le Castellet), France
July 5 Red Bull Ring, Spielberg, Austria
July 19 Silverstone, Great Britain
August 2 Hungaroring, Budapest, Hungary
August 30 Spa-Francorchamps, Belgium
September 6 Monza, Italy
September 20 Singapore Marina, Singapore
September 27 Sochi, Russia
October 11 Suzuka, Japan
October 25 COTA, Austin (Texas), USA
November 1 Autodromo Hermanos Rodriguez, Mexico City, Mexico
November 15 Interlagos, Sao Paolo, Brazil
November 29 Yas Marina, Abu Dhabi, UAE
Last edited by quasa; 5 months ago
Andrew97
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 5 months ago
Name:  5262C0FD-F4D8-4D5A-A2E0-0F587F785600.jpeg
Views: 54
Size:  87.2 KB

A slightly easier to read calendar.
quasa
Rep:
?
(Original post by Andrew97)
Name:  5262C0FD-F4D8-4D5A-A2E0-0F587F785600.jpeg
Views: 54
Size:  87.2 KB

A slightly easier to read calendar.
already edited whilst you were posting :lol:
quasa
Rep:
?
Provisional 2020 Team and Driver Lineups

Mercedes
44 - Lewis Hamilton (Reigning Champion)
77 - Valterri Bottas

Ferrari
5 - Sebastian Vettel
16 - Charles Leclerc

Red Bull
33 - Max Verstappen
23 - Alex Albon

Mclaren
55 - Carlos Sainz Jr.
4 - Lando Norris

Renault
3 - Daniel Ricciardo
31 - Estaban Ocon

Alpha Tauri
10 - Pierre Gasly
26 - Daniil Kvyat

Racing Point

11 - Segio Perez
19 - Lance Stroll

Alfa Romeo
7 - Kimi Raikkonen
99- Antonio Giovinazzi

Haas
20 - Kevin Magnussen
8 - Romain Grosjean

Williams
63 - George Russell
6- Nicholas Latifi (R)
Last edited by quasa; 4 weeks ago
Andrew97
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
Grosjean confirmed at Haas alongside Kmag, and Kubica won’t be in a Williams.
quasa
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 months ago
The driver list is updated and tbh, most teams are staying the same as they ended 2019, the only exceptions being Ocon replacing Hulkenberg at Renault and Latifi joining Williams in the place fo Kubica. (so only 1 rookie in f1 for 2020 so far).

In terms of the newbie's career, it is largely unimpressive in the junior categories (he was in F2/ GP2 since 2016 but had 8 races in 2015 and 2 in 2014). He is currently the favourite to finish runner-up in F2 in 2019 (de Vries won the championship but has gone to Mercedes' Formula E team with Stoffel Vandoorne). As of writing this post, the only other driver in contention for the runner-up position is Luca Ghiotto. Apart from 2019, Latifi has finished 5th in F2 in 2017 and 9th in 2018 and ranked 32nd, 27th an 16th in GP2. He has won 5 races in GP2/F2 so far (4 in 2019, 1 in 2018) and has an additional 13 podium positions from 2016 - 2019.

He is of half Iranian, half Italian heritage and his dad is billionairre businessman Michael Latifi, who is a 10% shareholder in the Mclaren group (he will not join Mclaren f1 in the future however).
Last edited by quasa; 2 months ago
Andrew97
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
Sad to see Hulk go, but when you have that many races without a podium it’s not a huge surprise.

Hulk however could be in prime position for a Ferrari drive if Vettel walks at the end of the year (I’m not ruling this out). Or at the very least he’ll get the sim drive.

Latifi isn’t inspiring but Williams has little choice.

Haas is the biggest disappointment I think. And appatnrly they want Kubica as a sim driver, it’s almost like somebody turned around and said “I know what’ll make our drivers look better!”

I think this (2020) will be Bottas last season in a Merc. They should put Russell in it in 2021 (and should have put Ocon in for 2020)
quasa
Rep:
?
Sad to see Hulk go, but when you have that many races without a podium it’s not a huge surprise.

Hulk however could be in prime position for a Ferrari drive if Vettel walks at the end of the year (I’m not ruling this out). Or at the very least he’ll get the sim drive.

Latifi isn’t inspiring but Williams has little choice.

Haas is the biggest disappointment I think. And appatnrly they want Kubica as a sim driver, it’s almost like somebody turned around and said “I know what’ll make our drivers look better!”

I think this (2020) will be Bottas last season in a Merc. They should put Russell in it in 2021 (and should have put Ocon in for 2020)
Glad to see im not the only one Hulkshipping the dude has talent (pole in his rookie season in a williams, had could have won Brazil 2012 and been on the podium in germany this year but binned it)

Im kinda annoyed de vries didnt get called up tbh but money talks + latifi had a pre-established williams connection.

re: kubica, it seems he's interested in DTM next year (wouldnt be surprised to see him go to BMW considering a) previous works f1 driver and b) they have experience with adapting DTM racecars for disabled drivers ie Zanardi), in combination with an F1 sim role (Haas was supposed to be the favourites, but apparently the Strolls want him at Racing Point).

Agreed Re Bottas, I think they kept him more for team harmony with Lewis, vs a potential Ferrari situation with Ocon and Lewis. Russell is most likely to join the Merc factory team after Esteban went to renault. Beyond that however, it seems they have a rubbish Jr Lineup (currently Ferrari has the strongest imo, followed by Renault and RB).
quasa
Rep:
?
Speaking of Junior Categories, here is a preliminary list of F2 drivers for the 2020 season:

DAMS
1) Sean Gelael
2) Dan Ticktum (R)

Uni Virtuosi
3) Guanyu Zhou
4) Callum Ilott

ART
5) Marcus Armstrong (R)
6) Christian Lundgaard (R)

Carlin
7) Yuki Tsunoda (R)
8)

Campos
9) Jack Aitken
10) Guilherme Samaia (R)

Charouz
11) Louis Deletraz
12) Pedro Piquet (R)

MP Motorsport
14) Nobuharu Matsu5hita
15) Felipe Drugovich (R)

HWA
16) Artem Markelov
17) Guiliano Alesi

Prema
20) Mick Schumacher
21) Robert Schwartzman (R)

Trident
22) Marino Sato*
23) Roy Nissany*

HiTech
24) Nikita Mazepin
25) Luca Ghiotto

In terms of technical changes, F2 will switch from the 2016 F1 13 inch tyres to brand new 18 inch wheels, which will (in essence) be used to test for 2021 F1 tyres. It will also be the (expected) last season of competition for the Dallara F2 2018 chassis. Furthermore, thanks to the performance of Mahaveer Raghunathan in the 2019 season, the FIA have introduced a superlicense system to F2.

* - driver not confirmed as yet but tested for the teams.
Last edited by quasa; 1 day ago
Andrew97
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Some 2020 news since Abu.

Ferrari and AlphaTauri (Formally Toro Rosso) have announced their 2020 car launch dates. Not sure if this has been said before, but AphaTauri is the Red Bull fashion brand. So that's where the name comes from

Car launch dates:
Ferrari: 11th February
AlphaTauri: 14th February

Red Bull say the 2020 car is 2 weeks ahead of schedule

Dan Ticktum (formally of Red Bull) has joined the Williams Development programme and will drive for DAMS in F2 (Like Latifi)

Russia has been handed a global ban on holding sporting events, the Russian GP orginisers say the race is not under threat as a clause in the decison says that "If an event has already been agreed and cannot be moved then Russia can still host"

Vietnam has added an extra corner to their circit
Andrew97
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Some more news.

Drugovich has joined MP Motorsport for F2 in 2020.

Robert Kubica will be the Alfa Romeo reserve driver, and his sponsor PKN Orlen will be a co-title sponsor. The team will now be called Alfa Romeo Racing ORLEN
Rakas21
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
I have to question all this Ocon hype, he was not especially impressive to me.
quasa
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
Some more news.

Drugovich has joined MP Motorsport for F2 in 2020.

Robert Kubica will be the Alfa Romeo reserve driver, and his sponsor PKN Orlen will be a co-title sponsor. The team will now be called Alfa Romeo Racing ORLEN
looks like my predictions are right so far re: f2

curious to see how the liveries are.

Also it seems that the 2020 ferrari is already doing quite badly in windtunnel testing...if leo turini and gdl are to be believed (usually tend to be reliable about ferrari related stuff)
quasa
Rep:
?
(Original post by Rakas21)
I have to question all this Ocon hype, he was not especially impressive to me.
essentially his main claim to fame was beating Max in the old european f3 way back when. Max went straight into f1, whereas ocon had to spend a year in gp3 (now current f3)...and won that championship as a rookie (despite winning only 1 race that year but finished 2nd 9 races in a row and on the podium for 11 races in a row (he didnt finish on the podium just 4 times out of 16 races). He did alright against checo when they were teammates but too much politics + the stroll takeover meant he had to sit a year out
quasa
Rep:
?
Max Verstappen has signed a 3 year contract extension with Red Bull till the end of 2023
Andrew97
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Renault have announced their launch date, 12th Feb

Williams have a new test driver... it’s Roy Nissany...
quasa
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 weeks ago
Renault have announced their launch date, 12th Feb

Williams have a new test driver... it’s Roy Nissany...
sigh, money talks. apart from a decent season in formula renault 3.5 (or whatever ti was called before it went best), his jr career has been very unstellar.
Andrew97
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Don’t know how accurate this is.

I believe the 2004 Monaco Grand Prix holds a distinction. As the only race in f1 history to feature a safety car restart, where the race leader was not first across the line.
quasa
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 weeks ago
its been confirmed Latifi will be using Number 6. The last time it was used was when a certain Nico Rosberg won his championship in 2016. The reason Latifi is using it however is as a homage to toronto.

also sean bratches has stepped down from liberty media to spend more time with his family
Andrew97
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Don’t know how accurate this is.

I believe the 2004 Monaco Grand Prix holds a distinction. As the only race in f1 history to feature a safety car restart, where the race leader was not first across the line.
To explain this comment.

Alonso crashed causing the SC, under which Trulli and Button pitted. Schumi took the lead from this pair, but inbetween them was a lapped Montoya. Under the SC just before the restart, Schumi decided it was a spiffing idea to slam on his brakes in the middle of the tunnel and was creamed by Montoya from behind. We missed the cars go over the line as we were watching replays and Schumi driving around. Next live shot we saw was Trulli with Montoya just behind him, so Montoya must have led over the line on the restart then? He couldn't have pitted?
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

People at uni: do initiations (like heavy drinking) put you off joining sports societies?

Yes (254)
66.67%
No (127)
33.33%

Watched Threads