The Student Room Group

The Official Formula One 2020 Season Thread

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Andrew97
Because that went so well last time they tired. haha.

I think its too late to do that now.

The issue is when?The summer break?Around Japan?

The problem with summer is the heat on Shanghai and Vietnam.

The issue is when?The summer break?Around Japan?

I really wouldnt mind losing a week of the summer break but i doubt it will happen, theyll alway be a couple teams that complain about a date change, and they will still insist on the 2-week break. I hope it comes back but I am sceptical, I just hope its the only race we lose even if the calendar is 21 races.
Original post by Rakas21
The problem with summer is the heat on Shanghai and Vietnam.

Given f1 races in places like Bahrain, Malaysia and Singapore. As well as Hungary I can’t see that being a massive issue.
Given f1 races in places like Bahrain, Malaysia and Singapore. As well as Hungary I can’t see that being a massive issue.

Those races are rarely held in the summer bar Hungary. In Vietnam your looking at proper tropical conditions with unrelenting 20C nights, 35C days and even with thunderstorms occasionally track temperature exceeding 50C. Shanghai your looking at Hungary on steroids.
so a few car launches for everyone. 1st up is the Mercedes W11:

The W11 has quite possibly the most extreme (ie smallest) cooling out of all the cars revealed so far. It definitely has been influenced by the 2018 Ferrari in terms of sidepod design philosophy. The front end seems inspired by red bull's s duct and front wing philosophy as well (although nowhere near as exreme as the RB16. Still a low rake philosophy and is likely to change in the 2nd test. otherwise it definitely looks the most aggressive car revealed so far. whether or not Mercedes has solved their cooling for the new car should be interesting as that was the achilles heel for the W10. But based on appearances alone, the launch spec W11 looks like the car to beat.

EDIT: to me, it looks like the wheelbase has shrunk slightly. the RB16 is definitely the smallest fo the big 3 ,whereas he ferrari looks a bit bigger than last year.
(edited 4 years ago)
Next up is the Mclaren MCL35. Interesting to not that the nose seems a lot less refined than last year, they have stuck with the European front wing philosophy from ast year and they have gone for matte paint, which looks quite nice imo. In terms of aero design however, it looks more aggressive than last year but nowhere near as much as the W11 or the SF1000. The car is however likely to change I reckon (likewise for most of the car revealed so far) before melbourne, so it could be more aggressive.

3rd set of new photos are of the new Alfa in testing livery in Fiorano (official car + livery launch is in the 1st test)

based on initial photos, the sides look slightly tapered and the nosecone seems to be a blend of their 2019 nose with the 2020 nose seen on the ferrari and Haas. They have also retained their weird sidepod inlet shape as well and their cooling packaging seems lame compared to the other cars released so far this year.
Do you think it’s interesting we haven’t seen a shot of the back of the Merc? Almost like they’re hiding something? But then again surely they can show a spec of car in photos and bring a different car to Barcelona?
Finally, renault trolled everone and are not revealing their car till testing and their livery till Australia. Based on the teaser images revealed so far however, cooling packaging is a lot tighter.
What does everyone think of the McLaren racesuits? the pictures they've released seemed to be the wrong colour so I tried to correct them

Edit
20200213_154945-compressed.jpg.jpeg

Original
IMG_20200213_154910-compressed.jpg.jpeg
(edited 4 years ago)
Original post by DWatsonJ
Do you think it’s interesting we haven’t seen a shot of the back of the Merc? Almost like they’re hiding something? But then again surely they can show a spec of car in photos and bring a different car to Barcelona?

tbh, ferrari havent shown their backside either (RB are using 2019 spec floors for their shakedown, seems merc may follow suit). Similarly, the ferrari had placeholder nose and 2019 wings.

tl;dr expect change before the 1st race.
Original post by SimplyChi
What does everyone think of the McLaren racesuits? the pictures they've released seemed to be the wrong colour so I tried to correct them

Edit
20200213_154945-compressed.jpg.jpeg

Original
IMG_20200213_154910-compressed.jpg.jpeg

not a fan of the stripes tbh (I prefered last year's overalls)
@quasa Yeah, last year's were nicer, and more papaya significant of the McLaren brand. I like the new livery, but it's a quote basic design, the triangle effect on the MCL34 was cool. the matte finish is a nice touch
before the season has begun, it seems people are already protesting the new ferrari :rofl:

tl;dr - italian version of ofcom received a lot o complaints about the mission winnow logos on the ferrari. Italian authorities are not only going to fine ferrari for this, they may even seize (and possibly destroy) the car used for the launch

considering ducati also uses mission winnow, why havent there been complaints made against them
(edited 4 years ago)
Stoffel has been confirmed as Merc's No.3 driver this year.
whilst this isnt F1 related news, its still intruiging news nonetheless: Rebellion will pull out of motorsport after Le Mans this year. They were co-developing the new Peugeot hypercar but will no longer be involved afterwards.
McLaren really need to go back to black and silver, that looks like a Bennetan-Renault.

What are the blue compound tyres?
Original post by Rakas21
McLaren really need to go back to black and silver, that looks like a Bennetan-Renault.

What are the blue compound tyres?

blue compound is full wet tyres.

Also not really a fan of the black and siver used in the late 90s/early00s. personally I felt silver and red during the hamilton years looked great.
Original post by quasa

Also not really a fan of the black and siver used in the late 90s/early00s. personally I felt silver and red during the hamilton years looked great.

I honestly can’t remember the red but yeah, the 90’s-2013 is what they should go back to.
Original post by quasa

Perhaps when they go back to Mercedes engines they will return to silver.

Wasn't the red bits just because Vodafone was the lead sponsor? I suspect they'll continue to keep the livery with whoever is the lead sponsor as long as it has a financial impact.

Quick Reply

Latest