The Student Room Group

Your view on police

I live in a shady part of east london. I see drug deals, thefts and robberies. But I wouldn't call the police. I think they are useless. My dad's car has been broken into 4 times in the past 5 years (they stole a can of coke, Vaseline and his Samsung j5). When we call the police, they only take a report, then a month later we'll get a letter through the post saying there's nothing they can do on this occasion. My neighbours van has been broken into, and they stole about £1k worth of power tools. My other neighbour had his motorbike damaged after someone failed to steal it and threw it on its side. My other neighbour had his car broken into and nothing stolen. But the police don't ever catch criminals. I personally have a lot of respect for the officers themselves, they do work hard. But I think the government is failing them. They seem way to under resourced to do anything about it.

Scroll to see replies

i can pretty much relate to you. i'm from birmingham and there is a very sceptical/reluctant attitude towards the police from the asian community here. people don't want to tell anything to the police because a) they don't want to get involved and b) they think that nothing is going to happen. drug dealing, gang crimes, and antisocial behaviour is a big issue in the city and the police are very underfunded and underresourced at the moment in order to be properly equipped to deal with these issues.

i guess that's what happens when under the conservatives, ~20,000 police officers have been cut :mad:

and they think that increasing stop and search will help things. in fact, it'll only worsen the relationship between the public & police, which is very strained atm in the BaME community.
Police in the UK are useless
(edited 4 years ago)
They seem like decent chaps.
Original post by moso2203
i can pretty much relate to you. i'm from birmingham and there is a very sceptical/reluctant attitude towards the police from the asian community here. people don't want to tell anything to the police because a) they don't want to get involved and b) they think that nothing is going to happen. drug dealing, gang crimes, and antisocial behaviour is a big issue in the city and the police are very underfunded and underresourced at the moment in order to be properly equipped to deal with these issues.

i guess that's what happens when under the conservatives, ~20,000 police officers have been cut :mad:

and they think that increasing stop and search will help things. in fact, it'll only worsen the relationship between the public & police, which is very strained atm in the BaME community.

I've been stopped and searched. They found my house keys, my phone and mentos fruits!
Original post by Andrew97
They seem like decent chaps.

I agree with you, but there's not enough imo.
They're just doing their job.
Blame the government for cutting their funding especially May.

Atleast they're not trigger happy like American police who go on playing call of duty in real life.

It's like me giving someone a job and not giving them the tools to accomplish it.
Original post by anonymousamk
Police in the UK is useless

I feel like that as well, they don't do anything.
Reply 8
Rare I have had a positive encounter with a copper
They’re put through too much stress. I wanted to be a police officer till I remembered I live in London. That’s like a no no. I cba.
(edited 4 years ago)
Original post by gjd800
Rare I have had a positive encounter with a copper

So you've not had a positive encounter with police?
Mostly fick.
Original post by Bandanadude
They’re put through too much stress. I wanted to be a police officer till I remembered I live in London. That’s like a no no. I cba.

I agree. They're under a lot of stress. I'd rather want to be a paramedic
The main problem is that they just don't have the funding or resources to deal with 'minor' issues. I had a family member in the police who said they found it difficult knowing they couldn't put enough time or resources into everything. Normally they have to prioritise cases that are more dangerous to the public.
Idk man the police in London are pretty sketch

This is a sh*t example but a policeman stopped to check me and my mate and HE DROPPED HER PHONE AND SMASHED IT and walked away saying he should get it checked out quickly:colonhash:

I cried for him
Only experience I've had with them is when they took me to the hospital. Oh and something that happened between my parents
Reply 16
A mixture of the two over the past 20 years :laugh:

I am actually nicer when I've had a bev
Reply 17
Original post by Nadim Chowdhury
So you've not had a positive encounter with police?

Do you understand what 'rare' means?
Reply 18
Original post by Notoriety
Mostly fick.

This is part of the problem
Original post by gjd800
This is part of the problem

Slightly smarter than their average customer, so gives them big heads. Similar with the work coach at the dole. Not bright enough to realise where they stand in the world.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending