I want a part time job

Watch this thread
ch1mp2302
Badges: 6
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
I am 16 and entering 6th form (alevel) in a week, but I know I am going to be bored on every Saturday so I want to have a part time job whether payed or not. I plan on working in a timber store, to either cut wood or to help with selling but my only concern is, is that would they allow me to use electronic saws since I’m only 16, but I already have experience on would work. I have used electric jigsaws and bandsaw, electric drills (handheld battery drills and pillar drills), electric planes and sanders. So I have some experience on cutting timber and using it. Any advise as well would be really appreciated.
JJJJJAAAAMES
Badges: 21
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by ch1mp2302)
I am 16 and entering 6th form (alevel) in a week, but I know I am going to be bored on every Saturday so I want to have a part time job whether payed or not. I plan on working in a timber store, to either cut wood or to help with selling but my only concern is, is that would they allow me to use electronic saws since I’m only 16, but I already have experience on would work. I have used electric jigsaws and bandsaw, electric drills (handheld battery drills and pillar drills), electric planes and sanders. So I have some experience on cutting timber and using it. Any advise as well would be really appreciated.
Chances are that your aren't going to have time for working whilst at sixth form. But some people at my sixth form somehow managed it.

You should look into finding jobs at fast food chains like KFC or subway as they are much easier than probably most other employments (to get into and work around your sixth form schedule).
lol.yolo
Badges: 19
Rep:
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by JJJJJAAAAMES)
Chances are that your aren't going to have time for working whilst at sixth form. But some people at my sixth form somehow managed it.

You should look into finding jobs at fast food chains like KFC or subway as they are much easier than probably most other employments (to get into and work around your sixth form schedule).
Incorrect- most people at sixth form have a part time job and manage it perfectly well, especially in the first year. From OPs comment I gather they don't currently have any extra-curricular on their weekends so would have the time.

There are certain legalities concerning age-restricted work, usually its a case of the company having the relevant paperwork and licences eg. for under 18s to sell alcohol. Why don't you speak to them directly and see if they have part-time jobs available.
Alternatively if you can't find a payed job (since you said you would be happy to do unpaid) look at charity shops and other places seeking volunteers as it gives you something to do and can also be put on your CV
ch1mp2302
Badges: 6
Rep:
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
I am now waiting for an email back from the timber company.
Emma:-)
Rep:
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by ch1mp2302)
Im not sure about the timber thing, you would have to ask them.
In terms of other places, shops and supermarkets take on a lot of students.
Emma:-)
Rep:
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by JJJJJAAAAMES)

I think that you will find that a lot of students have part time jobs alongside 6th form and they manage perfectly well.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Y13's - If you haven't confirmed your firm and insurance choices yet, why is that?

I am waiting until the deadline in case anything in my life changes (5)
21.74%
I am waiting until the deadline in case something else changes (e.g. exams/pandemic related concerns) (1)
4.35%
I am waiting until I can see the unis in person (4)
17.39%
I still have more questions before I make my decision (2)
8.7%
No reason, just haven't entered it yet (6)
26.09%
Something else (let us know in the thread!) (5)
21.74%

Watched Threads