The Student Room Group

University course advice. MEng or Bachelors?

Hi there everyone.

I'm in a bit of a predicament. Because of stupid decisions I made at the end of year 12, I'm currently stuck with an insurance course at a Uni I don't really like that much anymore.

Basically, I plan to reapply to a Civil Engineering uni next year, but I'm still going to Uni this year. My end goal is to do a 1 year Masters in Structural Engineering at Imperial on top of a Civil Engineering Masters' which is already 4 years.

Do you think that the masters' in Civ Eng is worth the extra 22k in student debt? Or vice versa, that the Masters in Structural on top of the Masters in Civ Eng is too much? Looking at it, over 6 years, I'd rack up about 130k in debt, so it's a fairly big decision whether to cut it with just a Bachelors and a Master's or two Masters', or just one Master's. How do employers look at this? Would they prefer that I get more qualified, or the 2 years real-live experience I'd get without faffing about?

Ta for your advice.
Original post by myguytyrone
Hi there everyone.

I'm in a bit of a predicament. Because of stupid decisions I made at the end of year 12, I'm currently stuck with an insurance course at a Uni I don't really like that much anymore.

Basically, I plan to reapply to a Civil Engineering uni next year, but I'm still going to Uni this year. My end goal is to do a 1 year Masters in Structural Engineering at Imperial on top of a Civil Engineering Masters' which is already 4 years.

Do you think that the masters' in Civ Eng is worth the extra 22k in student debt? Or vice versa, that the Masters in Structural on top of the Masters in Civ Eng is too much? Looking at it, over 6 years, I'd rack up about 130k in debt, so it's a fairly big decision whether to cut it with just a Bachelors and a Master's or two Masters', or just one Master's. How do employers look at this? Would they prefer that I get more qualified, or the 2 years real-live experience I'd get without faffing about?

Ta for your advice.

Absolutely no point in getting a masters degree in civil engineering then one in structural.
Original post by Smack
Absolutely no point in getting a masters degree in civil engineering then one in structural.

So on the reverse side, is there a point in getting one in structural if I do one in civil? How beneficial is a structural eng masters' compared to a regular civil in terms of opportunity and pay?
Thanks for answering btw :smile:
So on the reverse side, is there a point in getting one in structural if I do one in civil? How beneficial is a structural eng masters' compared to a regular civil in terms of opportunity and pay?

Sorry, my original reply was a bit short and didn't fully answer your query.

There is no point in having two masters degrees. If you want a masters - which is advantageous to have when it comes to the jobs market, overall - the most efficient route would be either the MEng or doing the BEng and a separate MSc.

If you want to be a structural engineer, you can get there with either a civil engineering or structural engineering degree. I think all civil engineering degrees will contain plenty of structures content - it's the standard route to becoming a structural engineer, so I wouldn't worry about needing to study a structural engineering specific masters. However, if you're interested in doing so then you may find it more interesting, or you may want to study at a different university for a year, of it may be cheaper than the MEng year (although you'd have to fund the MSc yourself).
All right, thank you for your reply. I will have to think on it.

You'd be better off doing one Masters and a year in industry.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending