Izzy1100
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
I’m due to start Med school in 2 weeks, and I want to get a very small tattoo on the side of my hand. However someone pointed out to me that i should check as it might be considered unprofessional to have a visible tattoo, even a small one, in the profession? Wondered if anyone knew anything or had one and if it had ever caused them issue? Thanks!
AzureCeleste
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Contact the uni or read guidelines online
I'd generally avoid it tbh
sinfonietta
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
I dated a surgeon with visible tattoos and I don't know how people reacted but it obviously didn't prevent him doing his job. :dontknow: Also know a nurse on here who has quite a few - but I'm not sure how visible they are.

Most reputable tattooers won't give you a hand tattoo if you're not already well inked. So if you're not tattooed already then this isn't something you need to worry about!
nexttime
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Difficult question. Lots of nurses and other healthcare professionals have tattoos, often very large very visible ones, and overall tattoos are becoming more acceptable in society right? However, a different standard seems to apply to doctors, and very few of them have tattoos, and even fewer have visible ones.

I would think about the most formal occasions you will have in your career - job interview for a competitive job with a panel of 3-4 senior doctors/professors, Royal College practical exams where its you examining a real patient with 2-3 senior doctors/professors watching your every move. Would you be worried that they might notice your tattoo? Do you think that might distract from the image you are trying to convey?
Deliciate
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
imagine being as wise as nexttime
TheRealSaifali
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
think i’ve seen something about strict guidelines on no visible tattoos while working for the NHS, maybe cover it up with those patches that are like concealer until you can find a definitive answer or maybe professionally remove it while having the patch to cover it during medical school.
Democracy
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Many members of the public still have a certain expectation and image of what a doctor is meant to look like. They don't necessarily have this expectation of nurses, HCAs, etc.

My personal opinion is that you shouldn't get a visible tattoo - medicine is (on the whole) a rather conservative profession.
GANFYD
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by Deliciate)
Couldn't even...!
nexttime
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by TheRealSaifali)
think i’ve seen something about strict guidelines on no visible tattoos while working for the NHS
That guidelines does not exist. Perhaps you mean no offensive tattoos?

If you think I'm wrong, link please. (and even if you did find some kind of source, I assure you that 'on the ground' loads of nurses and HCAs have them).

(Original post by Deliciate)
Imagine being as nice as Deliciate.
TheRealSaifali
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by nexttime)
Imagine being as nice as Deliciate.
Sorry, Found out it was for a practice near me which was strict on how staff should look. No tattoos or body art of any kind, no piercings except of the nose or ears etc... stuff like that. varies on which practice i guess.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you experienced financial difficulties as a student due to Covid-19?

Yes, I have really struggled financially (53)
17.67%
I have experienced some financial difficulties (83)
27.67%
I haven't experienced any financial difficulties and things have stayed the same (115)
38.33%
I have had better financial opportunities as a result of the pandemic (39)
13%
I've had another experience (let us know in the thread!) (10)
3.33%

Watched Threads