charasmatica
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
So i'm currently studying the BTEC Level 3 Extended Diploma in Applied Science and i'm going to be starting my second year of the course this September.

The grades which i achieved at the end of the first year were D*D* the highest possible.

I want to go to university and i want my degree to be science related.

Does anyone know which routes i can take with my current course to become either a:

- Doctor
- Orthodontist
- Vet
- Dentist

I am open to any suggestions of other science related degrees and careers so please mention them below x
999tigger
Badges: 19
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by charasmatica)
So i'm currently studying the BTEC Level 3 Extended Diploma in Applied Science and i'm going to be starting my second year of the course this September.

The grades which i achieved at the end of the first year were D*D* the highest possible.

I want to go to university and i want my degree to be science related.

Does anyone know which routes i can take with my current course to become either a:

- Doctor
- Orthodontist
- Vet
- Dentist

I am open to any suggestions of other science related degrees and careers so please mention them below x
You are going to have to do some research to find out which of those degrees will accept BTEC.
In most cases it is a no for Medicine.
I believe there is one uni that will consider BTEC for Vet. Might be Liverpool.

Not sure about Dentist, but Orthodontist might be easier.

In general for stem degrees at higher rated unis, then they like A levels as a better measure of academic ability. Some unis dont mind 2 X A level 1 x BTEC combination.
Lower down you should fine middle to lower unis fine with BTEC.

Just look at the entrance requirements for your top 5 unis and take it from there.
username4237624
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
I did my AS year and I passed but i thought the stress was too much for me so i decided to move to btec but before i made the decision i did alot of research and called up universities since i want to study dentistry and I noticed alot of universities are starting to accept btecs for medicine and dentistry. I even called up oxford who said they accept them for medicine and Bristol even told me that have no preference as long as you meet the minimum requirement they decide who gets an interview from the UKCAT exam. Sheffield and Cardiff also accept Btecs for dentistry however for Cardiff its with a foundation year. Plymouth also accepts btecs for foundation year into medicine so I wouldn't worry since there are loads of universities that accept them for medicine and there will probably be more because Cardiff only started accepting them THIS year
username4237624
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by Tmfatima2002)
I did my AS year and I passed but i thought the stress was too much for me so i decided to move to btec but before i made the decision i did alot of research and called up universities since i want to study dentistry and I noticed alot o f universities are starting to accept btecs for medicine and dentistry. I even called up oxford who said they accept them for medicine and Bristol even told me that have no preference as long as you meet the minimum requirement they decide who gets an interview from the UKCAT exam. Sheffield and Cardiff also accept Btecs for dentistry however for Cardiff its with a foundation year. Plymouth also accepts btecs for foundation year into medicine so I wouldn't worry since there are loads of universities that accept them for medicine and there will probably be more because Cardiff only started accepting them THIS year
Oh and i also forgot to add some veterinary schools accept them too such as the royal veterinary college and Bristol gateway year and if i'm not mistaken Nottingham also accepts them. A girl from my college got accepted into dentistry with a btec but just make sure you're getting distinctions and there wont be a reason for why they wont consider you
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What support do you need with your UCAS application?

I need help researching unis (20)
14.18%
I need help researching courses (8)
5.67%
I need help with filling out the application form (7)
4.96%
I need help with my personal statement (57)
40.43%
I need help with understanding how to make my application stand out (36)
25.53%
I need help with something else (let us know in the thread!) (3)
2.13%
I'm feeling confident about my application and don't need any help at the moment (10)
7.09%

Watched Threads