A big (?) problem in here with gettin to lvl3 Watch

Veroandersilon
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
Hi everyone! It's my first post here, so I'm really sorry if I did something wrong. I've got a problem and I don't really know who should I ask for help. I'm 23 yo, polish, 3 years in the UK. I wanted to start my very first level 3 - media make up today, but apparently I'm not qualified enough even though I have done lvl 2 in photographic makeup. I was told by the tutor that this is an AWARD not a DIPLOMA and I can't do lvl 3, I have to do lvl 2 again. Meanwhile she mentioned that lvl 3 is full anyway and the best I could do is getting on a waiting list (first come first served???).She didn't even check my previous qualifications and grades. Nobody was really bothered with them anyway, because they were polish (as far as I'm aware UK is still in EU, so my diplomas supposed to be respected here). I've got some pretty good grades both in gsce and a levels. I agreed for lvl 2 at the end, what else could I do... Can somebody tell me if everything was okay there? Is this how it looks like? Am I panicing? Is there really a difference between award and diploma? Was I treated wrong? Can I do anything about it? Thank you for your answer.
DerivativeName
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Veroandersilon)
Hi everyone! It's my first post here, so I'm really sorry if I did something wrong. I've got a problem and I don't really know who should I ask for help. I'm 23 yo, polish, 3 years in the UK. I wanted to start my very first level 3 - media make up today, but apparently I'm not qualified enough even though I have done lvl 2 in photographic makeup. I was told by the tutor that this is an AWARD not a DIPLOMA and I can't do lvl 3, I have to do lvl 2 again. Meanwhile she mentioned that lvl 3 is full anyway and the best I could do is getting on a waiting list (first come first served???).She didn't even check my previous qualifications and grades. Nobody was really bothered with them anyway, because they were polish (as far as I'm aware UK is still in EU, so my diplomas supposed to be respected here). I've got some pretty good grades both in gsce and a levels. I agreed for lvl 2 at the end, what else could I do... Can somebody tell me if everything was okay there? Is this how it looks like? Am I panicing? Is there really a difference between award and diploma? Was I treated wrong? Can I do anything about it? Thank you for your answer.
Hmmm seems dodgy to me. If you have Alevels you should be more than qualified. Here the difference between awards and diplomas is really a matter of the structure of the course (I think, someone correct me if I'm wrong I haven't done either myself), you should be qualified - that's the whole point of qualification levels.

Maybe look at other colleges?

Apart from that it's hard to give specific advice without knowing what qualifications you have and what course and college you want to go to.
Veroandersilon
Rep:
?
(Original post by DerivativeName)
Hmmm seems dodgy to me. If you have Alevels you should be more than qualified. Here the difference between awards and diplomas is really a matter of the structure of the course (I think, someone correct me if I'm wrong I haven't done either myself), you should be qualified - that's the whole point of qualification levels.

Maybe look at other colleges?

Apart from that it's hard to give specific advice without knowing what qualifications you have and what course and college you want to go to.
You see that's the thing, they were not bothered with those diplomas and translating them. I've got matura exam which supposed to be the equivalent for a levels. There are basic and advanced exams, results are in percentage. Basic polish 64%, basic maths 70%, advanced English 84%, advanced geography 85% and advanced German 72%. I know it's hard to understand those if you're not familiar with polish education system, but i can't believe they only have English people there coming for courses. And there must be some people who know it, can translate and understand different diplomas etc. Anyway, these results I've got are really not bad. To help you get it there is an information next to every score how many people had the same or worse result. For example with geography I was in top 1% (99% of people had lower result). I just find it so unfair that she didn't even try to look at them or do something about it. Isn't that discrimination?
DerivativeName
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Veroandersilon)
You see that's the thing, they were not bothered with those diplomas and translating them. I've got matura exam which supposed to be the equivalent for a levels. There are basic and advanced exams, results are in percentage. Basic polish 64%, basic maths 70%, advanced English 84%, advanced geography 85% and advanced German 72%. I know it's hard to understand those if you're not familiar with polish education system, but i can't believe they only have English people there coming for courses. And there must be some people who know it, can translate and understand different diplomas etc. Anyway, these results I've got are really not bad. To help you get it there is an information next to every score how many people had the same or worse result. For example with geography I was in top 1% (99% of people had lower result). I just find it so unfair that she didn't even try to look at them or do something about it. Isn't that discrimination?
Yeah they should be able to convert well. If you tell me the course and college (either here or over DM if you don't want to doxx yourself) I'll look into it for you.
Veroandersilon
Rep:
?
(Original post by DerivativeName)
Yeah they should be able to convert well. If you tell me the course and college (either here or over DM if you don't want to doxx yourself) I'll look into it for you.
I'll message you. Thank you!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of East Anglia
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Sun, 20 Oct '19
  • University for the Creative Arts
    Sun, 20 Oct '19
  • University of Gloucestershire
    Sun, 20 Oct '19

Have you made up your mind on your five uni choices?

Yes I know where I'm applying (56)
66.67%
No I haven't decided yet (18)
21.43%
Yes but I might change my mind (10)
11.9%

Watched Threads