Only have 4 GCSE's, do I have any chance of nursing at uni? Watch

Jayla201
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 months ago
I missed Year 11 because we moved house and all of the schools were full in the new area so wouldn't take me. I was able to take 4 GCSEs at college in Year 12 and I've passed them all, my grades are 6-7. The college are letting me do Level 3 health and social care BTEC even though you usually need 5 because apparently I did very well.

The thing is, I want to go into pediatric nursing. I know there are plenty of universities offering courses with just English and Maths passes but I'm still worried that uni's will read my application and bin it when they see I only have 4, thinking I messed up at school. Even part time jobs I've applied to at places like Costa and Greggs have been concerned about my GCSEs, so what chance do I have at uni or if I do get in, applying for nursing jobs in a few years?
Ymf
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
(Original post by Jayla201)
I missed Year 11 because we moved house and all of the schools were full in the new area so wouldn't take me. I was able to take 4 GCSEs at college in Year 12 and I've passed them all, my grades are 6-7. The college are letting me do Level 3 health and social care BTEC even though you usually need 5 because apparently I did very well.

The thing is, I want to go into pediatric nursing. I know there are plenty of universities offering courses with just English and Maths passes but I'm still worried that uni's will read my application and bin it when they see I only have 4, thinking I messed up at school. Even part time jobs I've applied to at places like Costa and Greggs have been concerned about my GCSEs, so what chance do I have at uni or if I do get in, applying for nursing jobs in a few years?
I’d say as long as you do well in your course and you have your English and maths (and possibly a science subject) you will be fine! Check the university you want to go to for their entry requirements.
Lots of people have no other GCSEs only English and maths then an access course or btec. Good luck
Jayla201
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 months ago
(Original post by Ymf)
I’d say as long as you do well in your course and you have your English and maths (and possibly a science subject) you will be fine! Check the university you want to go to for their entry requirements.
Lots of people have no other GCSEs only English and maths then an access course or btec. Good luck
That's a good point about other people only having English and Maths. I have 7's in English and Maths and 6's in Biology and Chemistry so hopefully I'll be okay. Thank you.
username3890778
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
why can’t you take one more gcse? an easy one
secondmagpie
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Most universities require at least 5 GCSE's. If you're really serious about nursing, knuckle down and throw in another GCSE. They're nothing compared to A levels.
Olivia1012
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago

I am in my final year, I left school with 4 GCSE’s B & C’s. I got a D in science. but i did do a level 3 health and social care BTEC. It is possible for you to do, just look at the criteria of the uni’s you’ll be applying for. best of luck
adilakbar1234
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago

Hi
I have two GCSES and I still managed to go on to study a university degree. All you need is Maths and English as well as A levels or equivalent
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Arts University Bournemouth
    Postgraduate Open Afternoon Postgraduate
    Thu, 12 Dec '19
  • Trinity Laban Conservatoire of Music and Dance
    Musical Theatre Undergraduate
    Fri, 13 Dec '19
  • Bournemouth University
    Midwifery Open Day at Portsmouth Campus Undergraduate
    Wed, 18 Dec '19

Do you work while at uni?