Is second year of university really THAT hard?????? Watch

Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
Theres an assumption that 1st year is a doss and that work really begins in second year. Do i stand a chance if i only just (kind of) scraped through 1st year?? (Got a wide range of grades)

Is the work enjoyable but difficult? I don’t mind if it’s the same word count and everything but if it’s hard and boring I might aswell give up now. I’m scared :/
stabilo20619
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
For my STEM degree, the 2nd year was comparable to the 1st. Both years were challenging, and while the second year's content was a bit more complex, it wasn't a huge jump!
Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
(Original post by stabilo20619)
For my STEM degree, the 2nd year was comparable to the 1st. Both years were challenging, and while the second year's content was a bit more complex, it wasn't a huge jump!
Hey,

Thanks so much for your reply. This gave me a little hope!
CycloneChilli
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Likewise for my engineering degree, I found the jump between A levels and first year absolutely vast - huge and despite trying to take the year seriously I only just passed, it was a massive let-down. By contrast I found second year a small jump up from first year. Yes the content will be slightly more complicated but your gain in experience from 1st year (even if you don't realise it!) will completely outweigh it. Me and my friends all performed better and were less stressed in our 2nd years compared to our first. And I remember worrying about 2nd year at the end of my first year as well!

I guess the assumption comes from people who treat 1st year as a party and don't put any effort in. They then start 2nd year where it counts and panic as they are not used to working, so find it harder. If you've made an effort in 1st year, and continue making an effort, you will enjoy 2nd year work more than 1st year.
Yesssir
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Yes it is ****ing hard. First year was like first year of college , University 2nd year is like 2nd year but on steroids
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of Surrey
    Postgraduate Open Afternoon Postgraduate
    Wed, 23 Oct '19
  • University of Bristol
    Undergraduate Open Afternoon Undergraduate
    Wed, 23 Oct '19
  • University of Exeter
    Undergraduate Open Day - Penryn Campus Undergraduate
    Wed, 23 Oct '19

Would you turn to a teacher if you were being bullied?

Yes (9)
21.95%
No (32)
78.05%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed