Instagram influencers are often white, now brands behind them are getting pushback Watch

AngeryPenguin
Badges: 18
Report Thread starter 2 weeks ago
Brands are being called out on Instagram for hosting trips where the groups of influencers are not diverse.

Last week, the clothing chain Altar'd State posted a "blogger adventure" in Denver with a group of Instagram influencers clad in the brand's flowy cardigans, skinny jeans and faux-snakeskin boots.

The colors of sweaters were varied. But when it came to the clothing models, things looked pretty one note. With the exception of one brunette, each of the influencers was blond.

The reaction was swift.

"There's something missing in this photo," one commenter mused. "Diversity. Have ya heard of it?"

Diversity experts say it's good business to cater to more demographics.

Some brands like Soma have carefully crafted how they do influencer marketing to be inclusive.

Another wrote: "Why is your Instagram account all skinny white girls? This is 2019, there is a lot more diverse girls out there who needs to be seen. I like your stuff. But this is not OK. Wish there were more diversity in your marketing."

Blogger Stephanie Yeboah wrote for Metro UK earlier this year about the "blatant sidelining and absence of women of color" in the influencer agency space.

"By exclusively using white influencers to tout holiday experiences, beauty and skincare products and fashion pieces, the story being told is that these experiences are only available to white people," she wrote. "Only white women use luxury skincare. Only white, slim women go on holiday. Only white women wear a certain brand's fashion pieces. It needs to stop."

"Black households have trillions in spending power," she wrote. "And you're ignoring the market."

Tenise pointed to a Nielsen report that indicated African Americans are 14% of the U.S. population, and $1.2 trillion in annual purchases. But even so, many brands don't think about including people of color in their events and influencer trips as much as they should.

Tenise sees a few reasons for this. She said at marketing firms she interacts with, she sees higher up positions predominantly held by white women. People of color often aren't advancing to these roles and having a say, she said. The people holding the reins of running influencer campaigns may be well-intentioned, but they don't realize they have a bias, she said.

https://www.cnbc.com/2019/08/29/inst...criticism.html

It isn't good business to sideline potential customers. Online activism to increase representation - or lambast lagging progress - is part of the natural workings of the free market. Why is it, then, that libertarians tend to bristle at the thought of catering to certain sections of the market?
ltsmith
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
are you a member of the black panther or something?

what's your problem with white people...?
JoshDarnIt
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
(Original post by ltsmith)

What's your problem with white people...?
Wakanda foreva!
username3890778
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
people are so obsessed with RACE. the letters shuffled would make CARE. we should care about everyone regardless of their background. what i do think is stupid is white actors playing parts of black people and i do agree there should be diversity. but forcing it is a dead ting . goodnight
AngeryPenguin

what's your problem with white people...?
Who says I have a problem with white people? I think I've made more criticising Hong Kong protesters. And not long ago, I made quite a few challenging the view that Brexit was an act of white racism - I linked to many statistics that showed Britain was one of the least racist countries in the world.

I just post stories from my facebook feed. You presumably only notice the ones that criticise institutional racism. It's a bit like accusing Google of having a bias, when it is merely shaped by your search history.
Last edited by AngeryPenguin; 2 weeks ago
ltsmith
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
(Original post by AngeryPenguin)
Who says I have a problem with white people? I think I've made more criticising Hong Kong protesters.

I just post stories from my facebook feed. You presumably only notice the ones that criticise institutional racism. It's a bit like accusing Google of having a bias, when it is merely shaped by your search history.
they make up 90% of your threads though.

I am skeptical of institutional racism. it just seems like the trend to encourage white people to be self-hating.

I'm not even white and it just pisses me off big time
AngeryPenguin
they make up 90% of your threads though.
Half of my recent threads are Hong Kong, many others about LGBTQ+ rights, individual (but unusual) events (such as weird murders).

I post more varied topics, but they usually don't generate much traction and are ignored - leading to observational bias, where you only notice these kinds of threads.
NoraSmith
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
Diversity of outward appearance should never be forced. In a truly equal society, no one would care what colour people happened to be, and would identify themselves beyond their skin colour, instead valuing diversity of what’s inside. Of course if certain demographics are being prohibited from jobs etc. based on what they look like, this is obviously a problem - but this problem is not solved by quotas, or any conscious efforts at ‘diversity.’
Reue
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
Name:  264.jpg
Views: 18
Size:  65.0 KB
AngeryPenguin
And for the record, I have made posts critical of some near-Black Panther organisations before. For instance, Nation of Islam, which is a weird anti-Semitic cult.
ltsmith
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
For instance, Nation of Islam, which is a weird anti-Semitic cult.
there's lots of them, too many to count.
Wōden
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
Brands are being called out on Instagram for hosting trips where the groups of influencers are not diverse.

Last week, the clothing chain Altar'd State posted a "blogger adventure" in Denver with a group of Instagram influencers clad in the brand's flowy cardigans, skinny jeans and faux-snakeskin boots.

The colors of sweaters were varied. But when it came to the clothing models, things looked pretty one note. With the exception of one brunette, each of the influencers was blond.

The reaction was swift.

"There's something missing in this photo," one commenter mused. "Diversity. Have ya heard of it?"

Diversity experts say it's good business to cater to more demographics.

Some brands like Soma have carefully crafted how they do influencer marketing to be inclusive.

Another wrote: "Why is your Instagram account all skinny white girls? This is 2019, there is a lot more diverse girls out there who needs to be seen. I like your stuff. But this is not OK. Wish there were more diversity in your marketing."

Blogger Stephanie Yeboah wrote for Metro UK earlier this year about the "blatant sidelining and absence of women of color" in the influencer agency space.

"By exclusively using white influencers to tout holiday experiences, beauty and skincare products and fashion pieces, the story being told is that these experiences are only available to white people," she wrote. "Only white women use luxury skincare. Only white, slim women go on holiday. Only white women wear a certain brand's fashion pieces. It needs to stop."

"Black households have trillions in spending power," she wrote. "And you're ignoring the market."

Tenise pointed to a Nielsen report that indicated African Americans are 14% of the U.S. population, and $1.2 trillion in annual purchases. But even so, many brands don't think about including people of color in their events and influencer trips as much as they should.

Tenise sees a few reasons for this. She said at marketing firms she interacts with, she sees higher up positions predominantly held by white women. People of color often aren't advancing to these roles and having a say, she said. The people holding the reins of running influencer campaigns may be well-intentioned, but they don't realize they have a bias, she said.

https://www.cnbc.com/2019/08/29/inst...criticism.html

It isn't good business to sideline potential customers. Online activism to increase representation - or lambast lagging progress - is part of the natural workings of the free market. Why is it, then, that libertarians tend to bristle at the thought of catering to certain sections of the market?
You're absolutely right. I for one as a white man, can only decide whether or not I want to buy a piece of clothing if I see it being modelled on another white man.
z-hog
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
It's the daily grind by CNBC, CNN, WP, NYT, Guardian, BBC, Indy: every day they beat the drum of race somewhere, feeding a perception of it as an issue like never before. 24/7, to the point of having to make stories out of nothing and publish no more than ideological pamphlets filled with quotes from Twitter-sphere by a bunch of nobodies. They're all obsessed with it and it's ironic that it's mostly white people who are responsible for this frenzy, in a sort of exploitative and self-serving way that many people of all races can only tut at. Weren't it for the negative consequences of all this agitating and it would be passable.
The Mogg
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
I would say something like "it's not about ethnic diversity, it's about intellectual diversity". But Instagram "influencers" aren't really the brightest bunch. Anyway, who the frickety frick frick cares?
ThomH97
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
Who are the influencers who did get to go on the trip, how many followers do they have, and which influencers would you replace them with?

While I can certainly see a flaw in picking similar influencers whose followers will likely overlap a fair bit, I imagine they've tried to get the most popular influencers who align with their brand. It probably is a good idea to include some random who has nothing to do with your brand to promote it, as that is a good way to bring in new publicity.
Seepbrook
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
I'm noticing that a lot. did you ever see Jake Paul's coachella vid? he took a bunch of instagram models with him as part of his vlog and guess what - they were all blonde and white. and then you looked at his crew, even the men he had with him were blond and white too, the rare exception was his cameraman who i believe is middle eastern of some sort but he had dyed his hair blond too. everyone called him out on it, they were all like why does your group like the poster child of the aryan race? and come to think of it, his entire team 10 members in the past were all white too. hes trying a little to have token people in his group now but its still predominately all whites. as is the same for many, many other big time youtubers. unless they are black themselves, you will rarely see a black person or people in their clan
z-hog
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
Maybe blonde people are more influence-able than others, either that or they're better at influencing. Couldn't possibly tell.
OR321
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
Seems like you’re reaching for an issue tbh
AngryRedhead
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
It’s a majority white country; it makes sense for companies to fill their advertisements with people that resemble the race they are trying to sell too.
Napp
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
(Original post by AngryRedhead)
It’s a majority white country; it makes sense for companies to fill their advertisements with people that resemble the race they are trying to sell too.
It's impressive how often people seem to forget this rather basic fact. Especially when they make the twin demands of adverts/tv/movies etc. being representative but also having at least half ethnic minorities... two demands that would seem mutually exclusive.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top

What's your favourite genre?

Rock (162)
24.88%
Pop (159)
24.42%
Jazz (26)