Is my partner eligible for the Parents Learning Allowance?

Watch
RD1992
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 7 months ago
My husband has a 12 year old son with his ex-wife. His son doesn’t live with us but regularly stays overnight and is financially supported by us (through cash to his mum and we also buy things such as clothes/school uniform, paying his phone bill, etc.). His mum claims all relevant benefits for him as he spends the majority of his time with her, but we wondered whether my husband may be entitled to the Parents Learning Allowance as he provides financially, as well as providing for him during the time he does stay at our house, and money will be tighter for us with his change in circumstances (I am also a student, going into my 2nd year, and he has recently been made redundant).

Initially, I don’t believe my husband put on his finance application that he has any dependents as his son does not live with us full time and he believed that this was the criteria for a child to be classed as dependent; however, his son is financially dependent on us. We have tried looking online buy can’t find any information that says categorically yes or no regarding entitlement for parents whose children do not live permanently with them.

Could anyone please provide some clarification on this?
Stuart SFE
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 7 months ago
(Original post by RD1992)
My husband has a 12 year old son with his ex-wife. His son doesn’t live with us but regularly stays overnight and is financially supported by us (through cash to his mum and we also buy things such as clothes/school uniform, paying his phone bill, etc.). His mum claims all relevant benefits for him as he spends the majority of his time with her, but we wondered whether my husband may be entitled to the Parents Learning Allowance as he provides financially, as well as providing for him during the time he does stay at our house, and money will be tighter for us with his change in circumstances (I am also a student, going into my 2nd year, and he has recently been made redundant).

Initially, I don’t believe my husband put on his finance application that he has any dependents as his son does not live with us full time and he believed that this was the criteria for a child to be classed as dependent; however, his son is financially dependent on us. We have tried looking online buy can’t find any information that says categorically yes or no regarding entitlement for parents whose children do not live permanently with them.

Could anyone please provide some clarification on this?
Hi,

We would need evidence that the child is wholly financially dependent on your husband. The evidence required would be the child's birth certificate and either:

- All pages of their most recent Child Tax Credit Award letter which must name the student and the child on it or

- All pages of their most recent Child Benefit letter which must name the child and can be in the name of either the student or

- all pages of their Universal Credit (UC) Award letter naming the child (must show student receives the Child Element of UC)

- All pages of the student's Universal Credit Statement showing the number of children on the claim

Regards,
Stuart
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Regarding Ofqual's most recent update, do you think you will be given a fair grade this summer?

Yes (256)
33.82%
No (501)
66.18%

Watched Threads