Turn on thread page Beta

Convincing school to add an A level choice? watch

ReputationRep:
    Hi all,

There are two subjects which I am seriously considering taking for A levels; computing and economics.

Now currently, neither of these are available as subject choices at my school.
    I know that quite a number of people would be willing to take economics (not too sure about computing).

What is the best way to go about getting these added to the subject choices? Has anyone had any experience convincing their school to add a subject for A level?

Thanks,
    Alex

ReputationRep:
    I'm in no way an expert on this but I thought you might appreciate any reply!

I think this would be very hard it would firstly depend on whether you had any relevantly qualified teacher. Also whether the school was prepared to pay for this teachers' extra work, along with the resources for the subject i.e. textbooks etc. Also whether they could fit this subject into the timetabling. I realise this all sounds quite negative but it must be possible to add new subjects to the options (otherwise where did psychology, media studies, sociology etc come from?).There are probably ways around all the points I've raised but when talking to the headteacher/governors/head of sixth form you'd need to be particularly persuasive!
    Hope I've been some help
    katherine

ps It may be one of those things you spend ages fighting for and only comes into being once you've left school!

EDIT- As an alternative you could try doing a distance learning thing with another school that does these subjects or even go to a college for this lesson but go to your own school for the other lessons

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by alexmac9)
    Hi all,

There are two subjects which I am seriously considering taking for A levels; computing and economics.

Now currently, neither of these are available as subject choices at my school.
    I know that quite a number of people would be willing to take economics (not too sure about computing).

What is the best way to go about getting these added to the subject choices? Has anyone had any experience convincing their school to add a subject for A level?

Thanks,
    Alex
    Get together a list of people who want to do the subject. The take it to the senior management and PESTER them. Don't let the matter drop. It worked for me and a friend at out college.

ReputationRep:
    do the list thing, and also suggest a partnership with another local school. sometimes when there isnt a qualified teacher, or there are insuficient student numbers schools arrange for their pupils to take it at another school which already offers it.

ReputationRep:
    My school is part of a 'federation' of 4/5 schools (they keep changing them) so there are loads more possibilites. Although I think it was mainly because no one school could convince enough people to take maths or sciences to make a class feasible.

'Federating' can sometimes be a pain, but you do get to mix with a lot of people from different schools.

ReputationRep:
    distance learning. it's the way forward.

ReputationRep:
    Have you left it till when you nearly about to take you A levels? If so it is quite unlikely you will manage it in time to benefit your year. However, if it is for the principle then fight for it. We amnaged to get A level RE/philosophy added to our curricular, but we had a teacher who was very eager to take up the post and to teach to students in lunchbreaks. Economics is a well respected subject so I think that any good college/6th form should teach this subject.

ReputationRep:
    You could actually do it independently. My school doesn't offer computing, and I am doing it independently. The school pay for my exam fees too, and my ICT teacher marks my coursework.

Alternatively, you could write a letter the head of school/sixth form about adding other A-levels.

ReputationRep:
    Find as many people as you can who want to do those subjects and collectively go and see the head of sixth form about it. As others have mentioned, there could be problems like not having qualified teachers, finance and timetabling, but it's worth a try. You could ask a business studies teacher to teach economics and an ICT teacher to teach computing, so the school wouldn't have to employ anyone else. If it doesn't work, you'll have to move to another school or college that offers those subjects, or maybe you could just go somewhere else for those lessons.
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    Study Helper
    Go for distance learning if you can. Many FE colleges now offer this and it will show that you are prepared to organise your own learning and are not dependent on the school environment.

As others have said, persuading a school to take on another teacher would probably be difficult. I imagine schools have fairly rigid budgets and would have to think carefully about the implications of adding subjects to the curriculum.

best of luck!

ReputationRep:
    If your school doesn't want to add another A-level, the best way is to teach it yourself. I'm in the position on doing that right now, and I find it quite relaxed, as you can study whenever you want while finishing all the topics/modules. You will have to purchase your own textbook and stuff like that.

ReputationRep:
    My school doesn't do critical thinking, and although lots of people **** it off, I really wanted to do it as it's good for law etc. I did it by distance learning & really enjoyed the experience. I am now working with the head of key skills in my school and as of next year, it will become a key skills option for those who want it, even if they don't want to do the full A/S syllabus. It's worth a go at trying to get them to do it, but you must show that quite a few people want to do it and give good reasons for studying rather than just trying to argue with someone.

University open days

• University of Chichester
    Multiple Departments Undergraduate
    Thu, 25 Oct '18
  • Norwich University of the Arts
    Undergraduate Open Days Undergraduate
    Fri, 26 Oct '18
  • University of Lincoln
    Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 27 Oct '18
Poll
Who do you think it's more helpful to talk about mental health with?
Help with your A-levels

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Uni match

Uni match

Our tool will help you find the perfect course for you

Study planner

Create a study plan

Get your head around what you need to do and when with the study planner tool.

Study planner

Resources by subject

Everything from mind maps to class notes.

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student doing homework

Study tips from A* students

Students who got top grades in their A-levels share their secrets

Study help links and info

Can you help? Study help unanswered threadsRules and posting guidelines

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.