undergradhopeful
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 months ago
Dear you kind folks at tsr,

I face a dilemma. Browsing the fantastic array of laptops on offer online and in stores I cannot make up my mind on which to opt for.

I am looking for a laptop good on battery, and storage. My budget is under 500 pounds. I entreat you, to furnish me with more ideas.

Kind regards.
Gofre
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
(Original post by undergradhopeful)

I face a dilemma. Browsing the fantastic array of laptops on offer online and in stores I cannot make up my mind on which to opt for.

I am looking for a laptop good on battery, and storage. My budget is under 500 pounds. I entreat you, to furnish me with more ideas.

Kind regards.
You want to look for a core spec sheet of quad core Ryzen 5 or Core i5 processor, 8GB of RAM, 1080p display and 128GB-256GB SSD, of which there are dozens of different options ranging from £400-£500. Look for models of your preferred screen size and storage capacity (unless absolutely necessary, don't buy a laptop without an SSD, if you really need 500+ GB of storage then factor the cost of a portable external hard drive into your budget to use for mass storage), then look at battery estimates. This is usually a crapshoot with most brands being useless fors assigning accurate battery estimates to their cheap laptops, but it will give you a rough idea.
niteninja1
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago

Kind regards.
https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/for...o=form&fid=142

Fill out the form
spotify95
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago

Kind regards.
Hi,
Gofre has pretty much got you covered there, except:
a) I would never recommend a 128GB SSD. That will fill up too quickly. Especially if you want a laptop with a good amount of storage.
If you want a lot of storage, get a laptop with 500GB+ of either SSD or HDD - portable external drives will make the device less portable, and will lessen the chances of wearing out your ports (especially if you then start relying on your external HDD for all of your documents). If you have a good CPU then that will lessen the difference in speed (compared to an SSD), you'll only notice slower boot times on a HDD.
b) The "up to" battery figues can be obtained, but only if you have the laptop on ultra power saving mode and don't do anything other than web browsing/replying to emails/office tasks etc. Usually you'll get 50-70% of what the manufacturer claims, so long as you treat your battery with care.
Gofre
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
(Original post by spotify95)
Hi,
Gofre has pretty much got you covered there, except:
a) I would never recommend a 128GB SSD. That will fill up too quickly. Especially if you want a laptop with a good amount of storage.
If you want a lot of storage, get a laptop with 500GB+ of either SSD or HDD - portable external drives will make the device less portable, and will lessen the chances of wearing out your ports (especially if you then start relying on your external HDD for all of your documents). If you have a good CPU then that will lessen the difference in speed (compared to an SSD), you'll only notice slower boot times on a HDD.
b) The "up to" battery figues can be obtained, but only if you have the laptop on ultra power saving mode and don't do anything other than web browsing/replying to emails/office tasks etc. Usually you'll get 50-70% of what the manufacturer claims, so long as you treat your battery with care.
I'm pretty sure we've had a discussion in the past about how an external hard drive barely larger than a deck of cards is hardly harming a laptop's portability, and that USB ports are designed to be used thousands of times.

A more powerful CPU will not mitigate the difference between an SSD and HDD in any meaningful capacity at this price point, that is nonsense. Hard drive speeds are the bottleneck, so even in the most radical of performance differentials between modern systems, boot times are still overwhelmingly tied to the speed of the physical media on which the OS is stored. There is no HDD based laptop you could buy for £500 that could get close to the boot times of even a bog standard Pentium paired with a basic consumer SSD.
Last edited by Gofre; 4 months ago
Dunnig Kruger
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
What we don't know so far is what the laptop will be used for. This makes a HUGE difference as to what is a suitable laptop for your needs, undergradhopeful. It's possible that a FREE laptop would be fine for you. Or one off ebay for less than £150. Or you might be looking at one for a few hundred quid.

Whatever you buy, make sure it has an SSD hard drive, either before you buy it or after (internal hard drives are easy to add or replace on a laptop).

External hard drives for backing up data? As spotify95 has already quite rightly hinted, are an amateurish way of doing it.
Better to have something like some crappy old laptop, bought for the price of an external hard drive, give or take, that sits in the corner and accepts your data back-up automatically. This is then your Disaster Recovery also.

Or back up your data onto your mum's laptop. And vice versa. You can encrypt it if there's anything confidential.

Anyway, the big point being that a 2nd computer somewhere in the family / on your home network is a better solution than backing your data up to an external hard drive.

Cloud storage like MS Onedrive is OK for data back-up - apart from the annoying subscription costs.

External hard drives or USB sticks have their place. For reinstalling Windows when it goes kaput. But all you need is one of them between you and all your mates / family.
undergradhopeful
Rep:
?
Dear all,

Thank you for your insightful comments. For further information, I will be using this to assist me in my Law degree which I am starting in late September.

I am tempted to subscribe to google drive (if there is a subscription needed?) rather than to use an external hard drive. I imagine the main software I will be using is miscrosoft word, powerpoint etc.

As much as i appreciate your comments I am struggling to follow what HDD and SDD mean - I am far from a 'techy' person, hence law degree lol.

Would love to hear from everyone further! Best.
undergradhopeful
Rep:
?
I am needing a laptop for university, I am doing law for anyone interested

Really tempted to get this lappy:

HP Pavilion 14 Inch Convertible Notebook.
-I3 processor
8GB RAM
-128GB SSD
-10 hours battery life
-intel hd graphics 620
-B&O speakers

What do you think? May be making the purchase today so help please!

Thanks in advance. Best.
Success2018
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago

Kind regards.
Hp laptops are good I got mine from from Argos. Good luck with law I'm a first year student, hopefully going onto my second this year.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What's stopping you doing a masters?

It's too expensive (53)
23.98%
My career doesn't need one (30)
13.57%
I'm sick of studying (45)
20.36%
I can't find a course I want to do (5)
2.26%
I don't know enough about them (16)
7.24%