The Student Room Group

This discussion is no longer active so you won't be able to reply.Check out other Related discussions

Will university still accept me with a 6 in maths if they want a 7?

Hey everyone, I want to go to university after I finish my course in business in two years; however, most business management and marketing courses require a grade 7, and at GCSE I only got a 6.

This is a big deal for me, and I enjoy business a lot and want to carry it onto further education, but I might not be able to.

does anyone know I can get accepted to university with a grade lower than what they wanted at GCSE?
Original post by Pagey81
Hey everyone, I want to go to university after I finish my course in business in two years; however, most business management and marketing courses require a grade 7, and at GCSE I only got a 6.

This is a big deal for me, and I enjoy business a lot and want to carry it onto further education, but I might not be able to.

does anyone know I can get accepted to university with a grade lower than what they wanted at GCSE?

Email them? Possibly not if it’s a requirement but you could retake maybe.
Uni’s are usually much less lenient with GCSE requirements. IE. Typically no flexibility at all.

Contact places you will be applying to beforehand to check if it will discount you immediately.
In addition to the above retake Maths to get the required grade.
What universities and their courses were you looking at in particular? Because I could only find business management with marketing courses that had entry requirements of grade 6/B or lower.
hii’ i was actually in the same position as you. i got a 6 in my gcse maths and studied business in college. i’ve found that a lot of universities accept a 6. i applied to sheffield university to study business and economics there, i later decided i wanted to apply to a better university however all of the requirements were a 7. i ended up resitting my maths paper during my second year of college so i could apply to some of the top universities instead.

i would recommend looking at the universities you’d most like to go to. i really wanted to go to the royal holloway however the grade requirements for the course i wanted was a 7. i called them up and they wouldn’t accept anything less so that’s why i made the decision to retake. your college should have a gcse maths department so i would recommend talking to them about your options 😊
Reply 6
I want to apply for Royal Holloway as well. They require a 6 for my course and I only have a 5.

I’m going to have to take a year out to get the grades I need. I am already 21 are there many mature students studying there? I am so worried about my age!!

Original post by lauren2451
hii’ i was actually in the same position as you. i got a 6 in my gcse maths and studied business in college. i’ve found that a lot of universities accept a 6. i applied to sheffield university to study business and economics there, i later decided i wanted to apply to a better university however all of the requirements were a 7. i ended up resitting my maths paper during my second year of college so i could apply to some of the top universities instead.

i would recommend looking at the universities you’d most like to go to. i really wanted to go to the royal holloway however the grade requirements for the course i wanted was a 7. i called them up and they wouldn’t accept anything less so that’s why i made the decision to retake. your college should have a gcse maths department so i would recommend talking to them about your options 😊
(edited 1 year ago)

Latest