Midnight Stargazing Watch

laurawatt
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
(Original post by MidnightSymphony)
Oh, well done! 32 minutes deffo isn't bad, have you done much running before?
Always only about 2/2.5k, I’d never run 5k before :lol: and over the summer I did no exercise so I definitely wasn’t as fast as I could have been :ninja:
MidnightSymphony
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 months ago
Fri Sep 20-

I wrote one line of an update yesterday but was in such a mood after trying to write my personal statement I gave up

On the topic of that, I'm gonna spend any time I can find the next week watching TED talks on chemistry and reading New Scientist articles because a) It (the ps) will need filling out a bit and b) I need to rejuvenate my interest in my subject a little.

I'm gonna try something a lil different here and go by days instead of subjects-

MONDAY 16TH
Er this was a while ago but in the morning I was free and wrote an update and was ill but then went to college on a nice comfy bus (for a change) and went to TUTORIAL and did some personal statement planning. After that it was to CHEMISTRY, where we started Benzene properly and I was oh-so-confident that my Kekulé structure was correct because my other chem lecturer made it out to be an either-or thing with that or circle benzene and obviously it's not and I felt rly dumb. We also did a lil more on stereoisomerism which is still confusing me a little somewhat. Not the concept but the past paper questions.

TUESDAY 17TH
To divulge far too much information, I threw up and then went in to college regardless. To PHYSICS in which we did a circular motion practical and some past paper questions which weren't too bad but I did ask my friend for help a l o t because my head wasn't there entirely. Then I was free for the rest of the day so I went home and didn't do much.

WEDNESDAY 18TH
Stayed off. Did basically nothing all day. Was supposed to have MATHS and apparently we began applied mechanics.

THURSDAY 19TH
In my free morning I went to my piano lesson, and my piano teacher is still concerned so ima have to work really hard for my next lesson. I've put the songs I'm playing into a Spotify playlist for me to listen to all the time. Then had another piano lesson at college with another teacher who also isn't very happy with me- then went to PHYSICS and did another prac, this one on simple harmonic motion which was intentionally set up badly so we'd get bad results because our teacher wanted to teach us about error bars.

FRIDAY 20TH
CHEMISTRY prac this morning (all I've done is pracs this week I swear)- reflux to create and find the boiling point of butan-1-ol. One of the least accurate practicals I've ever seen, this. We did a lil more work on amines and next week we'll probably do yet more.
TUTORIAL was interesting for once. I'm supposed to be in it for 2 hours Friday but all classes were cancelled from 12:15-12:45 so we could go and sit downstairs and show solidatiry with the climate strikers. In tutorial we did some work on our Pre-U- exam prep for an exam on October 15th. I've been told I "have to be able to find some strengths" in the documents I'm analysing which speaks volumes doesn't it...

As my maths was cancelled today, I went into the city in the hope of seeing the climate protest happening but my the time I got there everything had ended so I was disappointed and then a guy tried to get me to give him my bank details, slyly, so I decided I was suddenly hungry and had to go get food right then.

Doing parkrun in the morning so I should go to sleep now...I'll edit the tag list on in a few mins but rn this is glitching and I wanna get this up before the site crashes
MidnightSymphony
Rep:
?
Nvm can't edit it on

nyxnko_
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
Hope you're feeling better than you were at the start of the week :hugs:

Practicals can be such a pain sometimes :console:
entertainmyfaith
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
hope you feel better soon and that parkrun went well
MidnightSymphony
Rep:
?
(Original post by nyxnko_)
Hope you're feeling better than you were at the start of the week :hugs:

Practicals can be such a pain sometimes :console:
(Original post by entertainmyfaith)
hope you feel better soon and that parkrun went well
I don't have what I did but now I have a worsening cold- I didn't end up going to do the parkrun, but should have. Next time the weather isn't absolutely awful (give it a week at least) I'll go out on my own.

Mm I don't mind practicals but I don't find them the best learning tool, as opposed to sitting down and learning theoretically
nyxnko_
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
I don't have what I did but now I have a worsening cold- I didn't end up going to do the parkrun, but should have. Next time the weather isn't absolutely awful (give it a week at least) I'll go out on my own.

Mm I don't mind practicals but I don't find them the best learning tool, as opposed to sitting down and learning theoretically
A cold is probably better than whatever you had before Drink lots of water and rest up :hugs:
Hmm... I guess it depends what the point of the practical is :dontknow: I agree that learning content is better when taught theoretically, but there are certain skills that practicals do teach, e.g. how to titrate something, or set up distillation apparatus, or even something just as simple as using a volumetric pipette
MidnightSymphony
Rep:
?
Mon Sep 23-

It is so hard to be concise isn't it? I've written multiple small sections of a personal statement now and they're mostly dithering, but nonetheless I don't know what I could cut off.

I've done a lot of piano practice because my pieces have to be very very good by Wednesday and at present they are not very very good. Else my piano exam gets pushed back yet further, from December to March, and to be honest I don't want that.

I have no actual homework I need to complete rn (I know, shock) so now would be a good time to get all my other stuff done. This includes completion of ps and piano exam preparation, as well as prep for the independent research project for the Pre-U, which I am thinking to do on drug production and ethics, as well as tying in the socioeconomic and importantly environmental impact of illegal trades like production of certain drugs.

If any more happens that's actually important in my life I'll tell you in the week but I've basically had a boring weekend so meh. Have a good week!

MidnightSymphony
Rep:
?
Oh there is more-
I've decided to take USW off my list because even though I haven't been it's ranked so bleeding God-awful that I'd probably be better not going to uni at all than spending 3 years getting a degree from there
nyxnko_
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
Having your PS in sections at the moment is good :yes: It'll come together once you get some feedback on it
Hope your piano goes well too :crossedf:
Which other uni are you considering if you've taken USW off your list?
laurawatt
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
Good luck with your piano playing! I’m hoping to do my cello exam in the nov/dec series rather than the Easter ones :lol:
Have a good week :rave:
MidnightSymphony
Rep:
?
(Original post by laurawatt)
Good luck with your piano playing! I’m hoping to do my cello exam in the nov/dec series rather than the Easter ones :lol:
Have a good week :rave:
Oo what grade are you?
Thanks!

(Original post by nyxnko_)
Having your PS in sections at the moment is good :yes: It'll come together once you get some feedback on it
Hope your piano goes well too :crossedf:
Which other uni are you considering if you've taken USW off your list?
As I've also taken Bristol off, Bath and Surrey are the replacements
laurawatt
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
Oo what grade are you?
Thanks!
Will be doing grade 5
Matthew2422
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
Good luck with the piano
MidnightSymphony
Rep:
?
(Original post by Matthew2422)
Good luck with the piano
Thanks very much
Will be doing grade 5
Oh, good luck!
MidnightSymphony
Rep:
?
Wed Sep 25-

I am no longer keeping to a schedule, I'm updating when I feel like apparently

There's a reason for that, the reason being I'm starting to feel pretty demotivated to do anything. To anyone else whose GYG I follow, I'm rly sorry if my replies have dropped off. I just can't muster the brainpower to even structure a basic reply rn. I am reading (most of the time), I'm not just being ignorant I promise.

Anyway, time for spontaneous Wednesday update, here's some days (with some formatting too bc I'm not on the app for once :cute:)-

MONDAY 23RD-
Tutorial. I did nothing new. I showed my tutor my personal statement segments and she went "ok that's good, now you need to write a conclusion, and an introduction, and maybe structure the middle bit?" which basically translates as "Ok, now actually write it, see you Friday!" So that's my big job tomorrow.
Chemistry. Benzene, benzene, benzene. Structure, properties, past paper questions, and one of the mechanisms, which we'll do more of next week. I haven't always had a 100% joyous relationship with organic chem, and I did get a good bit wrong on the PPQs, but I'm really enjoying this lesson rn.

TUESDAY 24TH-
Physics. God I can't tell you how much I love only having one lesson all day Tuesdays. After our teacher yelled at us with a smile of utter disbelief on her face because we can't hand in homework and the homework people DID do was apparently **** (I had full marks but she took pains to point out she was generous), we did the conical pendulum and then banking. That's the end of circles now YAAAAY. I'm not too bad at the questions, but I am requiring assistance a lot rn because my brain isn't functioning in the way it can take in all the words going on. What is wrong with me? Idk.

WEDNESDAY 25TH-
(I don't need to join the gym, I just need to get on the bus on Tuesday and Wednesday mornings, standing on those things for 40 mins with those drivers will build my muscle in no time...)
Maths. Implicit differnetiation, which is easy and fun maths if you don't keep making stupid mistakes like puttimg the dy/dx in the wrong place or writing y terms as x terms etc.

I joined the choir today against my will, but fully intend to keep going. Singing is more fun than I remembered, but it does push me until 1:30 finishing. Still, swings and roundabouts here because my bf is on lunch at half 1 Wednesday so I get to go see him which I wouldn't otherwise (to those new here, hi, I'm bi, to those who aren't, I'm acutely aware how much I mentioned my bf last year and won't so much this time dw. Other than on our anniversary, then it will be obligatory).

My picture is on the chemistry door now, labelled as student rep, and I'm just w a i t i n g for the first smartass to go and deface it bcos funny innit

I'm getting predicted grades tomorrow! I'll be back tomorrow to mention them, but here's hoping I get an A for chem (and mayyybe an A* in physics? Wishful thinking...)

Tomorrow I have to make a trip to the orthodontist because uhhhh my braces kinda broke. Not the wire or the elastic but they put in a spring attachment above the brace where the gap was and it snapped. I don't even know if I need the appointment to have it reattached at this stage, but the ahem irritating person on the switchboard didn't listen to that (idk what this person was actually like, and tbf they're not trained to know these things, but my mother did the call in work bc I was in maths and she got veeeery annoyed).

I've got work to go and do before tomorrow. There's deffo more I need to say, but I can't remember it...

laurawatt
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
That’s fine, don’t feel pressured to reply to every update that everyone does! Can take you off my tag list if you’re wanting a gyg reading break?
Good luck for getting your predicted grades :hugs:
MidnightSymphony
Rep:
?
That’s fine, don’t feel pressured to reply to every update that everyone does! Can take you off my tag list if you’re wanting a gyg reading break?
Good luck for getting your predicted grades :hugs:
Nah don't do that I still like reading sometimes
Thank youuu
CoffeeAndPolitics
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
Good luck with your predicted grades! Btw don’t feel pressured about replying to individual GYG threads every time someone updates, it’s honestly okay.
laurawatt
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
Nah don't do that I still like reading sometimes
Thank youuu
Prsom :thumbsup:
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

People at uni: do initiations (like heavy drinking) put you off joining sports societies?

Yes (201)
67.22%
No (98)
32.78%

Watched Threads