With any luck, your PS will be written soon :woo:
Good luck with your predicted grades!
entertainmyfaith
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
you can talk about your bf as much as you want, it's your gyg :yep:
sorry to hear you're not feeling great today, hope you feel better soon :console:
good luck for predicted grades tomorrow, i hope you get what you want
Matthew2422
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
(Original post by MidnightSymphony)
Fri Sep 20-

I wrote one line of an update yesterday but was in such a mood after trying to write my personal statement I gave up

On the topic of that, I'm gonna spend any time I can find the next week watching TED talks on chemistry and reading New Scientist articles because a) It (the ps) will need filling out a bit and b) I need to rejuvenate my interest in my subject a little.

I'm gonna try something a lil different here and go by days instead of subjects-

MONDAY 16TH
Er this was a while ago but in the morning I was free and wrote an update and was ill but then went to college on a nice comfy bus (for a change) and went to TUTORIAL and did some personal statement planning. After that it was to CHEMISTRY, where we started Benzene properly and I was oh-so-confident that my Kekulé structure was correct because my other chem lecturer made it out to be an either-or thing with that or circle benzene and obviously it's not and I felt rly dumb. We also did a lil more on stereoisomerism which is still confusing me a little somewhat. Not the concept but the past paper questions.

TUESDAY 17TH
To divulge far too much information, I threw up and then went in to college regardless. To PHYSICS in which we did a circular motion practical and some past paper questions which weren't too bad but I did ask my friend for help a l o t because my head wasn't there entirely. Then I was free for the rest of the day so I went home and didn't do much.

WEDNESDAY 18TH
Stayed off. Did basically nothing all day. Was supposed to have MATHS and apparently we began applied mechanics.

THURSDAY 19TH
In my free morning I went to my piano lesson, and my piano teacher is still concerned so ima have to work really hard for my next lesson. I've put the songs I'm playing into a Spotify playlist for me to listen to all the time. Then had another piano lesson at college with another teacher who also isn't very happy with me- then went to PHYSICS and did another prac, this one on simple harmonic motion which was intentionally set up badly so we'd get bad results because our teacher wanted to teach us about error bars.

FRIDAY 20TH
CHEMISTRY prac this morning (all I've done is pracs this week I swear)- reflux to create and find the boiling point of butan-1-ol. One of the least accurate practicals I've ever seen, this. We did a lil more work on amines and next week we'll probably do yet more.
TUTORIAL was interesting for once. I'm supposed to be in it for 2 hours Friday but all classes were cancelled from 12:15-12:45 so we could go and sit downstairs and show solidatiry with the climate strikers. In tutorial we did some work on our Pre-U- exam prep for an exam on October 15th. I've been told I "have to be able to find some strengths" in the documents I'm analysing which speaks volumes doesn't it...

As my maths was cancelled today, I went into the city in the hope of seeing the climate protest happening but my the time I got there everything had ended so I was disappointed and then a guy tried to get me to give him my bank details, slyly, so I decided I was suddenly hungry and had to go get food right then.

Doing parkrun in the morning so I should go to sleep now...I'll edit the tag list on in a few mins but rn this is glitching and I wanna get this up before the site crashes
How have the predicted grades gone today?

Also (for the record) ahah agree with ^^ entertainmyfaith
Obolinda
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
(Original post by CoffeeAndPolitics)
Good luck with your predicted grades! Btw don’t feel pressured about replying to individual GYG threads every time someone updates, it’s honestly okay.
Ditto!
Quick-use
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
Kinda sad you didn't do GCSE Astronomy... :moon:
MidnightSymphony
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 months ago
Mon Sep 30-

So I don't have my predicted grades yet, because long story short I have to ask for them from my tutor and I keep forgetting due to my level of stressed when I'm in college. I WILL remember tomorrow. Someone will have to remind me :burnout:

THURSDAY 26TH
Piano lesson(s)- I'm doing the exam in December. I've convinced my main piano teacher I'm good enough, and my other teacher with the college just says I'm the only one who knows. However I'm now paying £99 for an exam that's in 10-11 weeks and starting to wonder if I'm letting myself in for something I shouldn't be but hopefully I'm just panicking but am I idk
PHYSICS- We looked at some model prac data. Drew a graph. Worked out, like, 3 calculations. Somehow this took up 2 and a half hours?

FRIDAY 27TH
CHEMISTRY- Ummmm what did we do? Yet more amines? Probably, I can't remember
TUTORIAL- Exam practice for the Pre-U exam on October 15th- 2 weeks! 2 WEEKS WHAT and the day after I'm aiming to have written a 15 minute presentation recorded for the damn thing but HOPEFULLY after the 16th it'll be over and done with and I can sleep again...speaking of presentation, we only got the source material for it today but more on that later.
MATHS- One teacher is still off (and is this week, too) so our other teacher covered us, bless his soul, and we did implicit differentiation applied to tangents and normals- the hardest thing in maths since exponentials, like w h a t is going o n here, and why is it so easy to mess up- followed by some v easy work on arcs and sectors, a completely unlinked topic because y not

MONDAY 30TH
TUTORIAL- Had the presentation sources. They are all on computers and mostly on 3D printing, and those who don't do STEM are not amused, let me tell you. Tbh I'm not particularly happy with them myself but I can link it to something, maybe probably.
CHEMISTRY- More benzene reaction mechanisms followed by a few (hard) past paper questions. Somehow this took up 2 and a half hours? (Incidentally, I have the same teacher for Monday's chem and Thursday's phys- and I feel like I have to be rly cautious saying that now because he goes on TSR sometimes, as I learned at exam time last year. Eh, not like he's likely to find this, or know it's me, though he might after that now. He's a very good teacher I hasten to add-)

Big news coming-
Somebody finally asked me the question today that I wish somebody had months ago- "If you're finding it that hard to apply, do you really have that strong a passion for chemistry?" (Words to that effect anyway). So I'm finally taking my alternative subject search seriously. Very seriously, and quickly. By Friday, I need to have decided on an alternative course, and decided where I'm applying for it. Chemical engineering is a definite option, but my issue with it is that's probably all the aspects of physics I can't wait to run away from and none of the aspects I'd want to keep doing. However, I might be being too close minded. Someone suggested earth sciences. There's still a big issue with "Midnight doesn't wanna move away" but here's the strange thing- I can't imagine myself moving out and doing chem, but I can't imagine myself not moving out to do Chem Eng, or indeed, anything else. I full well know what I enjoy, but I can't pinpoint it exactly enough to apply it to a potential uni course. A gap year has also been suggested to me today, which isn't out of the question because as you may have noticed, I'm very unsure about what I want to do that will define the rest of my life

At some point soon I will need to do my ...er, something. I went to do something then and now do not recall where that was going.

Driving theory test in 12 days. Let's ignore that here- it's not going well, like everything else-

I've now lost any direction whatsoever to this update so have a nice week, hope it's not as busy as mine will be! (Oh, and thanks for all your replies, sorry I haven't gotten round to responses)

(pls tell me if you'd like to be added or removed to my tags)

laurawatt
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
Definitely a busy few days!
Hopefully you get your predicted grades tomorrow :crossedf: and all the best for deciding unis/uni courses/gap year/ stuff:excited:
Obolinda
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
MidnightSymphony
Rep:
?
Wed Oct 2-

I have made a new rule for myself- I am allowed to stay up ridonculously late Wednesday and Sunday nights to work, but every other night I have to stop at 10:30, put down everything and go to bed. This is to make sure I sleep enough (well, nuuuh) because I'm starting to think the biggest thing affecting my work is tiredness.

It also means that Wednesday will probably become extra update night because I know I have the extra time. Nonetheless this isn't that long.

LESSONS, then-

TUESDAY 1ST-
PHYSICS- First we had our homework back (I had 8/10) and we got shouted at for being unable to do "explain why..." questions very well. I'm included in that. Oops. Then we presented our revision notes for our teacher to look at- mine were reviewed as "colourful" which they are and seems to be a good thing- and then we started gas laws and if there's any proof in the world I shouldn't do chemistry in uni (and btw I've decided straight chem is OFF the list, because I don't even remember why I wanted to do it) I forgot which number relative atomic mass was but shhhhh pls-
(Oh and then I had a driving lesson and it was awful, I stalled many times and came very close to parked cars)

WEDNESDAY 2ND-
MATHS- More differentiation (u g h) but it was more enjoyable. We covered concave and convex curves, use of the second differential to do...something or other I'll look in a min (just looked- points of inflection), and we need to look over the proof of the differential of ln(x) and of a(x) at home. Fire alarm went off during maths too, which it had yet to do since I joined college, just before we went on break midway through, and compared to school everything felt so calm and sensible...

Question- is it a brash decision to switch intended courses at this stage, now that I'm past the point I can go to open days for it and in the unis I'd be applying for and I'd just have to fly blind? Or, to put this another way- should I put this all on delay for a year and get round open days and do more research and be more certain and then apply next year? That's why I'm even considering a gap year. I really do wanna get to uni, and I really am excited to think I could be going next September. I don't want to take a year out, but I'm trying to be responsible about all this, in spite of the fact I want it all to g o a w a y at least for now.

2nd Question- How do I take a topic I don't really like and turn it into a 15 minute presentation in 2 weeks? This is a genuine question. I have a booklet of source material, in which only about 2 of the 8 sources only mildly interest me (then again, does anything interest me any more?) and have to be able to speak for 15 minutes on it-

On that note- I said in my last update that I know what I enjoy, but...do I, academically? Tbh, not that much really does interest me any more. I really want something in life to interest me but everything feels a lil bland bar for the things most people find incredibly uninteresting. Like buses. Or supermarkets. It's weird and I'm weird. I'd find it interesting to work at my local supermarket part time, not like I have time right now but nonetheless.

Braces off in two weeks! Am excited.

Do any of y'all have some good Netflix recommendations I can watch when I'm done with some of this stuff rn? (Ones in English, I read your GYG you know who you are :giggle:) I usually go on and scroll and then give up.

One More Question- Anyone have any good revision methods they'd like to share? I have my methods but I need more.

How's life, then? Having a good week, bad week, somewhere in between week? Anyone else even half as clueless as I am rn?

MidnightSymphony
Rep:
?
Earth Sciences. Hmm. Need to send emails. Need to see if I'd need to fast-track geography next year. But watch this space.
entertainmyfaith
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
make sure you're resting well:hugs:
hm i think it's better not to rush into things and there's nothing wrong w a gap year! i'd take one if you're still really unsure about your options.
i'm watching a spanish netflix show atm :teehee: um english lang shows i'm watching atm are one day at a time, that 70's show, the good place and fresh prince of bel air.
nyxnko_
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
hope you're sleeping well :hugs:
i agree with manu, take your time to research if you're wavering. that year out might make you realise you don't want to do chemistry at all and idk, study philosophy instead :dontknow:
ooh, braces off soon :woo:
I don't really watch netflix
if your methods work, then they work
MidnightSymphony
Rep:
?
(Original post by entertainmyfaith)
make sure you're resting well:hugs:
hm i think it's better not to rush into things and there's nothing wrong w a gap year! i'd take one if you're still really unsure about your options.
i'm watching a spanish netflix show atm :teehee: um english lang shows i'm watching atm are one day at a time, that 70's show, the good place and fresh prince of bel air.
Thanks!

Whatever happens it's definitely in consideration, my teacher thinks I should do nat sci but the thing with that is that the very few unis who do it all have A*AA as their entry reqs which means I'm gonna have to apply to something else anyway just to have some kinda insurance...ugh. Idk. In good news, one of my summer school unis (Nottingham) offers it, so there's that.

(Original post by nyxnko_)
hope you're sleeping well :hugs:
i agree with manu, take your time to research if you're wavering. that year out might make you realise you don't want to do chemistry at all and idk, study philosophy instead :dontknow:
ooh, braces off soon :woo:
I don't really watch netflix
if your methods work, then they work
Thank you, and thanks for the advice. That's very true. (I just spent a good minute tryna type "that's" what's wrong with me-)
MidnightSymphony
Rep:
?
Fri Oct 4-

Reading tomorrow! Am excited. I'm gonna take a lot of work to do in the car, like presentation work for this Cambridge Pre-U thing I need to have done by the 18th and ideally by the 16th. (Oh yeah, the exam entrance forms for that were handed out today. It says I'm female. Hi am womf)

I'm calm rn. I shouldn't be, I should be freaking the **** out given this schedule-
7th- Chem test
8th- Phys test
9th- Swansea uni " summer school celebration night"
10th- College open evening (I decided to help with it)
12th- Driving theory test and then performing in college/local choir concert
15th- Camb Pre-U exam
16th- Presentation due date (15 mins long, haven't so much as started) and maths test

...and yet. Calm. Composed. Not about to die...anyway have some lessons

THURDSAY 3RD
Piano lessons- My teacher is still...disappointed, I feel. Mostly with my fingering, also with my playing style and general lack of practice of arpeggios.
PHYSICS- Simple harmonic motion questions- I was good at these, mostly didn't ask for help and knew what was going on (which considering how much I don't actually like this topic, isn't bad). Also pulled a "Use the wrong formula but get the right answer" move so there's that

FRIDAY 4TH
CHEMISTRY- Nitrogen compounds, again. I don't even think we're halfway through. There's so much of it and we feel like we're going so fast and so slow at the same time (like, it feels as if the teacher is going through loads but then we only do 5 pages in more than 2 hours). Today we set each other questions too which I kinda spaced out in so I didn't help my group set questions or answer them, really. I've gotten chem in the worst period of the week to have chem this year, I swear. I don't know what it is about chem on Monday afternoon and Friday morning that I just...dislike.
TUTORIAL- Came up with a presentation title. Did some research. Didn't get very far. Most interesting thing was my friends putting their essays (which I finished in July) through Turnitin (cursed software, snitch, but I also did this in July) and one of my friends coming out with 57%...like how is that managed?
MATHS- After spending ages going back over things like area of segments (our teacher was back and went over all the things we did while she was off to make sure we understood them well enough) before we started binomial theorem which I somehow inherently get more than last year and I find it more enjoyable? Perhaps bringing negative powers into the matter emphasised the basics of what we have to do more, but whatever it was, more of that pls

If all goes well, I'm going to go into 2020 with very little on my plate for the first time in, like, my life. Piano will be done. Driving will be done. Pre-U work will be done. I'll just have my subjects. That is the major thought motivating me through everything rn. Somehow I actually feel like I'll be less calm though. My level of calm is inversely proportional to my stress level and I could draw you a graph of that too were I bothered or if I had the time of day.

Due to the fact I'm so busy I forgot to ask for predicted grades again, but if I were to hazard a guess, based on the way they're being done, I'd have to guess A*A*A, because they seem to be pushing everyone's AS grades up one and having done with it if they're far enough above the boundary (well into the A boundary on physics and maths, and one mark off the next grade in BOTH chem exams, so fair guess). But omfg A*A*A is stressful something ridiculous. I'm not aiming for an A* in maths whatsoever, but actually, I am in physics, because while I think in maths it's a stretch too far, I think in phys it's possible I could actually do it with a LOT of work. Don't start on chemistry. It doesn't exist ok if I even get a B in chem that will be my life achievement, although I DID get 15/21 on some homework which I am very happy about even though I fully understand it's not exactly amazing

I'm'na start doing these-
QOTD: What's your favourite music genre?
AOTD: Mmmm idk probably still musical theatre for me

Anyway. Enjoy your weekend. Hope you get to relax and have some downtime.

Obolinda
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
Probably pop😅 or drill and UK rap. Can't choose
entertainmyfaith
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
good luck w your tests! your predicted grades sound amazing:gah:
fave genres are pop (quite like bedroom pop in particular) and indie
Matthew2422
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
The grades sound great ahaha... No Pressure lol :laugh:
MidnightSymphony
Rep:
?
Tue Oct 8-

I loathe posting off the app but I shall for now.

Gooood evening how's the week been? No update yesterday bc I had too much to do, still do but procrastination, y'know? I have to write and make a 15 minute presentation in a week- I have all my sources, how I'm gonna use them (mostly) and a plan though, so now I just have to get writing. Also have a critical thinking exam next Tuesday afternoon, but that's easy and generally the board are pretty lenient with marking. Still, I can't wait until this Pre-U thing is over at Christmas (I hope) because it'll deffo be one less stress on my mind.

A lesson summary-
MONDAY 7TH
TUTORIAL- Nothing in particular. Flitted back and forth between doing a lil more with my grades on UCAS, doing some work on Pre-U presentation and was gonna start a past paper but meh.
CHEMISTRY- We did a test. I had 11/25. Yes, 11. Out of 25. I am ashamed. Clearly I don't know enough about the topic and need to do more revision. I make no excuses- other than the mark for writing equations where equations weren't asked for- but still that would have been 12 and still bloody terrible. Then we started alcohols, and because my brain was so fried after the test I started naming them as carboxylic acids so this is a lesson I wanna forget.

TUESDAY 8TH-
PHYSICS- Another test which also went badly though I haven't had marks back yet. We also covered ideal gas equation, and the differences between a real and ideal gas (basically some obvious stuff)

But hey, driving went okay today! Apparently I seemed a lot more confident behind the wheel. Yay.

I had a chat with my tutor about uni yesterday. I'm gonna apply to chem. It's my best option. It's safe. Ik what I'm doing in chem and despite that test mark, I think I can get it up because I enjoy it- yes, I spent last week going round the mulberry bush with different courses, but I came back to chem. Reading (which was amazing, I wish I'd taken pictures, I think I'm gonna set it as my insurance) kinda reminded me why I want to do chemistry. I'm very glad I went. Also, the campus and surroundings are amazing. If I wanted to move away or if Swansea was bad, it may be in my consideration for my firm. I wish I'd seen more of the place, like gone to see the student union, but we were a lil pushed for time.

Right then I've got to go be productive. I will get all my jobs done. Just gotta keep pushing forward.

Last edited by MidnightSymphony; 4 months ago
laurawatt
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
Well done for driving and for your week
Dw about chem :hugs:
nyxnko_
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
Sorry I've been MIA
I'm glad driving is getting better :woo:
Dw about that chemistry mark :nah: It's one chapter out of over 20, and I'm sure you'll get it soon :yep:
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

People at uni: do initiations (like heavy drinking) put you off joining sports societies?

Yes (197)
67.93%
No (93)
32.07%

Watched Threads