The Student Room Group

Any advice on how to prevent hair clumping together after washing?

I feel like most of my forum posts on here are just me asking for haircare advice but at this point I am really struggling to figure out what actually works for me and would really appreciate some advice on what to do 😂

So recently I have been having a lot of trouble stopping my hair from clumping together after washing it. Rather than all the strands being separated and feeling soft after brushing through it continues to go back to clumping up together in sections and it makes my already thinner/fine hair look even more flat. I at first thought it might be the products I am using since a few months ago I switched to paraben/sulfate-free products and since then I am still switching between brands and trying to find one that works but recently I have mostly been using Avalon’s volumising rosemary shampoo and conditioner combination. I started to wonder if the conditioner I was using or just conditioners in general were weighing down my hair and I did try another conditioner by Hask but the same exact thing happened. I don’t put conditioner on my roots and mostly shampoo my scalp rather than the ends of my hair but I genuinely don’t know what I’m doing wrong any more or if it’s the products that aren’t working for me.

To try and figure out what was going on I asked my Mum to help wash my hair out one night and weirdly enough it felt completely clean and soft afterwards and didn’t stick together at all. Due to this I am beginning to think it’s to do with my technique when washing out but I still can’t quite pinpoint the problem and I was wondering if anyone had any advice on how to prevent this? I was considering trying a light conditioner by Hairy Jayne and I have also tried taking the shower head down and washing closer to my scalp but this still didn’t seem to make much of difference. I have also tried using conditioner before shampoo and have spent a LONG time trying to make sure all the product is out but nothing seems to work.

Thank you so much to anyone who responds!!
(edited 4 years ago)
Reply 1
after reading your post, You sure have put a lot of effort on your hair and tried most of the methods that are supposed to being effective. I'm not sure if this will help you but when i washed my hair, i use to take my hairbrush with me in the shower. after i shampooed my hair, i gave it a brush and then rinsed my hair. also it would relatively clean my hair brush at the same time. Hope this helps.
Original post by sweehee
after reading your post, You sure have put a lot of effort on your hair and tried most of the methods that are supposed to being effective. I'm not sure if this will help you but when i washed my hair, i use to take my hairbrush with me in the shower. after i shampooed my hair, i gave it a brush and then rinsed my hair. also it would relatively clean my hair brush at the same time. Hope this helps.

Thank you for the advice! I’ve always been a bit worried to brush wet hair because I know hair is a lot weaker and prone to breakage when it’s wet but I was thinking of trying a wide tooth comb so I will definitely give that a try and see how it works out for me! :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest