The Student Room Group

Asking a teacher for a reference letter

Hi everyone

I'm an international student looking to apply for Information System Management in uni. My predicted grades are A*AA for Economics, Maths, and Physics. I am asking my Physics teacher for a reference letter.

I'm passionate about the course, as I did many research and projects outside school regarding the subject, but silly me didn't choose to study Computer Science when we were picking subjects, because upper classmen said classes were not satisfactory.

What I'm wondering is how do I tell my Physics teacher that I'm passionate about the subject and would enjoy the course in uni ?
Hello, do you really need to talk about the computer science course in your reference letter? I mean, did someone advise you to do this? Last year I took my A levels which were Maths, Economics and Accounting. I'm enrolled for a computer science degree in uni this September. In my reference letter I didn't include computer science, my teacher wrote about my achievements, anecdotes and things she appreciated with me. It was in my personal statement that I mentioned computer science.
Reply 2
Original post by struggleisreal
Hello, do you really need to talk about the computer science course in your reference letter? I mean, did someone advise you to do this? Last year I took my A levels which were Maths, Economics and Accounting. I'm enrolled for a computer science degree in uni this September. In my reference letter I didn't include computer science, my teacher wrote about my achievements, anecdotes and things she appreciated with me. It was in my personal statement that I mentioned computer science.

Oh, i actually never thought of it that way. Thanks for your reply. Was wondering, did u write a guide for your teacher to follow/ talk about? and if so, how did u do it?
Original post by aircon101
Oh, i actually never thought of it that way. Thanks for your reply. Was wondering, did u write a guide for your teacher to follow/ talk about? and if so, how did u do it?

Yes I wrote guidelines but she didn't follow it entirely 😂 but here is what I wrote after I did my research:
- How do you know the student and for how long?
- The letter should be concise, specific and thorough
- Anecdotes about the student in class (asking questions during or after class, participating in class discussion, etc.)
- Extracurriculars that the student undertook
- Specific examples of ways in which the person demonstrated various skills and qualities
- personal comments about how the student is different from other students
- Use phrases like "I strongly recommend this student..." or "I am recommending this student..." at least once
- At the end provide a way for the university to contact the teacher (email address but don't worry they don't usually contact the teacher)
- There is no set rules about the number of pages for the letter

I hope I could be of help! :smile:
-
Reply 4
Yes I wrote guidelines but she didn't follow it entirely 😂 but here is what I wrote after I did my research:
- Anecdotes about the student in class (asking questions during or after class, participating in class discussion, etc.)
- Specific examples of ways in which the person demonstrated various skills and qualities
- Use phrases like "I strongly recommend this student..." or "I am recommending this student..." at least once
- At the end provide a way for the university to contact the teacher (email address but don't worry they don't usually contact the teacher)

Thank you sooooo much for this, it helped me alot in getting a sense on how to start. Cheers mate
Reply 5

-

Actually there is a limit of 4,000 characters for the reference letter as well. This is included in the UCAS guidelines for advisers. But I suppose any teacher who is experienced enough to provide such letters should know about this.
Original post by aircon101
Thank you sooooo much for this, it helped me alot in getting a sense on how to start. Cheers mate

So glad to hear that I could help, good luck with whatever you're aiming at! :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending