A-Levels to ATAR conversion for Australian uni

Watch
nesquik37
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
I am currently studying my A-Levels but plan to study in Australia for uni. I am a bit confused as to how my predicted A-Level grades map to ATAR. For reference I am predicted 4A*s and an A at A-Level. Could anyone tell me what ATAR this would likely be in Australia?
pitguy
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by nesquik37)
I am currently studying my A-Levels but plan to study in Australia for uni. I am a bit confused as to how my predicted A-Level grades map to ATAR. For reference I am predicted 4A*s and an A at A-Level. Could anyone tell me what ATAR this would likely be in Australia?
ATAR basically works by percentages; ie 98 atar means you are in the top 2% of the country approximately. With those grades, it would probably translate to about a 98-99 ATAR because I read somewhere that A*A*A* is about top 2.08% of UK; it's actually a little skewed towards UK however, based on Cambridge which requires 98.5 ATAR minimum as equivalent to A*A*A.

Out of interest, why would you choose to come to Australia with grades like that? I am doing the exact opposite lol. The standards over here tend to be much lower in terms of candidature, even our very top unis only require high 80s/low 90s for sciences.
nesquik37
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
Thanks very much for letting me know about how the ATAR conversion. I am still applying to the UK, I just think I might prefer to live in Australia.

That’s interesting about the entry requirements. Are courses competitive to the extent that even if someone were to meet the entry requirements - they still might not actually get a place?
pitguy
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by nesquik37)
Thanks very much for letting me know about how the ATAR conversion. I am still applying to the UK, I just think I might prefer to live in Australia.

That’s interesting about the entry requirements. Are courses competitive to the extent that even if someone were to meet the entry requirements - they still might not actually get a place?
Usually not at all; the vast majority of unis and courses make it so that if you are over the mark threshold, you are guaranteed a place. There are some exceptions; Medicine courses at some of the better unis - ie USYD, UNSW - require good scores in the UCAT and some have additional interviews. The market for doctors is pretty hugely oversaturated in urban centres like Sydney and Melbourne. The scholarships, on the other hand, can get incredibly competitive - but normal degrees are very easy to attain with a decent quality of schooling. There is another post somewhere relating to Australia where it details some differences, a major one being that in most cases a 3-year undergraduate course in Aus will only get you a baseline bachelor's degree without honours; you can opt into a 4th year honours qualification, then at least another year for a masters. Very inefficient if you ask me, especially in terms of cost. Presumably they have to cater to an average lower standard of candidature.
tofskisum
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Some places will give guides on equivalent places - I've been looking at Sydney Uni, and it has a table of equivalent grades for international students: (https://sydney.edu.au/content/dam/co...-2020.pdf)This one gives a score for your a level grades, and the entry criteria is a minimum score. An A* is a 6, A is 5, B is 4 etc. It only has stuff for 3 or 4 a levels, so I guess maybe use your 4 best, so 4 A*s would be 24. This would get you onto any course that Sydney offers - as the highest course offer is for a score of 23 if you are doing 4 A levels. 23 in this case is used as an equivalent to a 99.5 ATAR. So go you, you can probably do whatever you want I guess!
Ciara Grace
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Out of interest what are you planning to study in Australia? In 2014 I was in a very similar situation, lower A-Level grades but I did end up moving to Melbourne and having a very interesting few years! All I needed to do was have my A-Level certificates certified by a police officer then send off to some address in central Melbourne, as well as write a personal statement etc.
What I’m trying to say is if you need any help on Universities etc I’m here to help! ☺️
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you have the space and resources you need to succeed in home learning?

Yes I have everything I need (198)
57.56%
I don't have everything I need (146)
42.44%

Watched Threads