37.5%
No (10)
62.5%
TortoiseSheldon
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 months ago

We are having a debate atm, apparently if you tell a plant that you love it the plant will grow more than if you tell a plant that you hate it.

What do you think? Do plants have feelings?
Last edited by TortoiseSheldon; 5 months ago
Obolinda
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 5 months ago
Doubt it. Doesn't seem like a very scientific study 😂
username3890778
Rep:
?
Report 5 months ago
If they do then i’m a terrible terrible person who deserves to be locked in jails. would also make me a plantnapper when i steal flowers from people’s houses which means i’m stealing them from the rest of their flower family
EierVonSatan
Report 5 months ago
I hear screaming when I mow the lawn. I thought it was just in my mind, maybe not?
username4893646
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 5 months ago
No and even if they did, if this is an attempt to thwart vegans you should know that raising animals for slaughter takes up 8-times-MORE plants than it does to simply feed a human populous.
So vegans eat less plants. And since humans need to eat to live, causing least damage would mean eating plants straight and not the large animals who eat more plants than you do anyway.
the beer
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 5 months ago
Yes, but they only understand Swazi.
Jessicafreya0
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 5 months ago
I know water isn’t a plant but research the water experiment
TortoiseSheldon
Rep:
?
(Original post by Jessicafreya0)
I know water isn’t a plant but research the water experiment
Where do I find it?
TortoiseSheldon
Rep:
?
(Original post by EierVonSatan)
I hear screaming when I mow the lawn. I thought it was just in my mind, maybe not?
I have heard that apparently grass cries when you cut it
TortoiseSheldon
Rep:
?
(Original post by NoTearsLeftToCry)
If they do then i’m a terrible terrible person who deserves to be locked in jails. would also make me a plantnapper when i steal flowers from people’s houses which means i’m stealing them from the rest of their flower family
You just need to take the whole family in the future.
Froggo
Rep:
?
Report 5 months ago
Plants don't have a nervous system, so no they wouldn't have feelings
DSilva
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 5 months ago
No.
Deyesy
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 5 months ago
ParadoxSocks
ParadoxSocks
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 5 months ago
with how many plants I've accidentally killed, I really really hope not.
Manooka
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 5 months ago
(Original post by TortoiseSheldon)

We are having a debate atm, apparently if you tell a plant that you love it the plant will grow more than if you tell a plant that you hate it.

What do you think? Do plants have feelings?
Plants behave in all sorts of ways and react to many different types of stimuli. Some people believe that plants grow better when spoken to or when music is played nearby. Anyone who has touched the sensitive plant and witnessed its instantaneous wilting has surely wondered if plants really do have feelings.

In 1970 Peter Tompkins and Christopher Bird, authors of the best-selling book, The Secret Life of Plants, claimed that plants did indeed have emotions and intuitive capabilities. Although the book is a fascinating read, its unsubstantiated claims have had a negative impact on plant study credibility. It has taken years of serious study and experimentation for plant behavior hypotheses to hold water under scientific scrutiny.

The first step should be to define "intelligence." Plants don't have brains or central nervous systems like humans; therefore, they can't have emotions or reasoning capabilities . They are, however, sentient life forms and they do have "tropic" and "nastic" responses to stimuli. Plants can't vocalize or flee from danger, so they must rely on other ways to thrive and to protect themselves when threatened. They can choose which direction to grow, for example, and can defend themselves and aid pollination by moving their leaves, petals, and stamens. Plants also produce both attractive and defensive messenger chemicals called pheromones, much like humans, animals, and insects.

Responses are categorized as either tropic: a movement in response to a specific directional stimuli such as light and gravity, or nastic: a movement in response to non-directional or multiple stimuli such as touch or vibration. Nastic responses are usually temporary and do not alter growth.

source: https://owlcation.com/stem/Do-Plants...In-a-Sense-Yes
.unknown
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 5 months ago
Regardless I would still continue to kill and eat them
Jessicafreya0
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 5 months ago
TortoiseSheldon search this in YouTube: ‘masaru emoto water experiment - water consciousness’
osb.jck
Rep:
?
Report 5 months ago
(Original post by the beer)
Yes, but they only understand Swazi.
lol
osb.jck
Rep:
?
Report 5 months ago
(Original post by .unknown)
Regardless I would still continue to kill and eat them
yo same energy i have with humans
JustOneMoreThing
Rep:
?
Report 5 months ago
I hope not, otherwise, the cactus I just bought is going to pursue its vengeance on me for his fallen brethren.

And need I remind you, I bought a cactus.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Has your university offer been reduced?

Yes (48)
31.58%
No (78)
51.32%
Don't know (26)
17.11%

Watched Threads