The Student Room Group

Stuck on Unis

Hi guys I want to do computer science in Uni but I'm stuck between Salford and Uclan. Please can someone help me.
Are you choosing a clearing offer for 2019 or applying for 2020?
Original post by PQ
Are you choosing a clearing offer for 2019 or applying for 2020?

Clearing offer I have 2 places 1 at preston one at salford
So 2019
Original post by Timtimtomtom
Clearing offer I have 2 places 1 at preston one at salford

Have you visited both?

Would you be living in halls or commuting? What are the transport links like if you're commuting (or what are the accommodation options like if you want to live in halls?
Original post by PQ
Have you visited both?

Would you be living in halls or commuting? What are the transport links like if you're commuting (or what are the accommodation options like if you want to live in halls?

I'd be living at the university. I've been to both university's and also done thorough research into them both. But I am still stuck on my decision in which to enroll. The accomidation is great in both, however salford has higher overall rankings in computer sciences.
Salford is 6 miles away from home preston is 30+ miles
I'd be living at the university. I've been to both university's and also done thorough research into them both. But I am still stuck on my decision in which to enroll. The accomidation is great in both, however salford has higher overall rankings in computer sciences.

My personal preference between the two would be for Salford - it's a livelier city which would suit me better - but that might not suit you. Maybe it's too close to home?

Do you have any pros and cons for each that you're struggling with?
In Salford, you can join in on the Manchester fun and it’s a great city. I’m not sure if Preston lives up to that much liveliness but you did say Salford is higher ranked for computing so perhaps go for that
Original post by OR321
In Salford, you can join in on the Manchester fun and it’s a great city. I’m not sure if Preston lives up to that much liveliness but you did say Salford is higher ranked for computing so perhaps go for that

Yeah it is on multiple ranking websites, hopefully I can get this sorted then I'll have to get it contact with salford
Original post by PQ
My personal preference between the two would be for Salford - it's a livelier city which would suit me better - but that might not suit you. Maybe it's too close to home?

Do you have any pros and cons for each that you're struggling with

The pros of preston is I have a couple of friends there, but other than that distance and rankings are the issue, you say salford is lively and I am one to thrive in lively good areas as I am a people person and aim to make lots and lots of friends.
The pros of preston is I have a couple of friends there, but other than that distance and rankings are the issue, you say salford is lively and I am one to thrive in lively good areas as I am a people person and aim to make lots and lots of friends.

to be honest I would say friends at a university can be a big disadvantage. It's easy to stay with the same friends you knew before and not take up all the opportunities to meet new people.

It sounds like you prefer salford - so go for it. You're not far from your friends at UCLan so you can still see them (or they might come to see you when they tire of the preston nightlife :wink:).

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending