The Student Room Group

STEP Prep Thread 2020

Scroll to see replies

Original post by banan496
Do we get to know our marks or do we just get given the grade?

You are usually given your marks, and grade boundaries in a PDF. I'm not sure if the delivery of marks is different this year though.
Thx!
Original post by 4D Chess
I'm sure I got around 75 in STEP 3 which will likely be a 1.
I don't know if high 40s is enough for a 2 in STEP 2. I dropped 50 marks from my mock in year 12...

Idk the chances of getting in with a 2,1 but a 1,1 offer. The wait is killing me.

From what I've heard, a lot of people have had massive drops in marks from what they usually get on STEP 2 this year. I'm pretty confident I should get a 1 in STEP 3 (I doubt the boundaries are going to skyrocket or anything) but could have dropped at least 20-30 marks from usual on STEP 2. I'm hoping the boundaries somewhat reflect that.
Original post by 3pointonefour
By "detailed looks at individual papers", what do you think they're actually looking for? Because my STEP 2 has 2 good solutions and a few partials but the maths just looks messy and desperate

I think mine was similar. I think I was clutching at straws a little because I selected a couple of sub-optimal questions that I only managed to answer partially and I really don't think my script is going to look very good...
I'm starting to panic about my partials. I'm thinking they won't give me as many marks as I predicted I would get. Especially in STEP 2, since I basically don't have any full answers.
Original post by User04592
I'm starting to panic about my partials. I'm thinking they won't give me as many marks as I predicted I would get. Especially in STEP 2, since I basically don't have any full answers.

I only had 1 full in step 2 so I may also be overestimating my fulls :/
Original post by thekidwhogames
I only had 1 full in step 2 so I may also be overestimating my fulls :/

I didn't even do any fulls, I had 2 questions that were near to full but the rest were very much partial.
i got a full (question 1) but it was wrong bc i added 2 fractions wrong lmao

Original post by GreenCub
I didn't even do any fulls, I had 2 questions that were near to full but the rest were very much partial.
I think many of us are in the same boat, and as far as boundaries are concerned we should probably actually be reassured that lots of people who usually get 3-6 fulls are getting 0-3 instead...
I think many of us are in the same boat, and as far as boundaries are concerned we should probably actually be reassured that lots of people who usually get 3-6 fulls are getting 0-3 instead...

When will you guys get your results? Is it the same day as a-levels?
Original post by zetamcfc
When will you guys get your results? Is it the same day as a-levels?

Yeah same day but released at midnight
Can somebody rate my mark in STEP 2 (like give me lower bound/realistic/upper bound) cuz i've only just started to rethink the paper after all this time. I feel ok with STEP 3 cuz I think I got 4 fulls/2 decent partials but I only have 1-2 fulls in STEP 2. Only rly need to appraise q1,3,4,5,6,11 cuz q2/7 were minimal

q1) Did (i) and (ii) fully and then typod in (iii) so I couldn't get the answer and it was really early on. The substitution I suggested does work tho after some work
q2) did very little
q3) Did all of it but I couldn't get the second result in (ii) about u_r^2-u_(r-1) u_(r+1) and also I typod when doing algebra in the last part about when a=1-1/N so couldn't prove this either
q4) Did fully apart from didn't do (iii) (d)
q5) Did fully but did a dumb way tbh but hopefully markers just care about it being mathematically valid rather than beauty lol. I didn't quite do it fully tho I proved that the num of digits is <= 4 in the last part and found the solution but I didn't inspect the 4 digit case.
q6) This was pretty bad tbh. I did (i), messed up one direction in (ii), got the conditions slightly wrong in (iii), I think I said sth like detM=+/- 1 but really it's just det M = 1, found a valid matrix in (iii)
q7) made very small progress, like 3-5 marks worht lol
q11) did fully but gave little to no explanation for anything so how many E marks is standard on these sorts of questions? Still hoping for 15+ tbh

thanks guys good luck for results day

Spoiler

Original post by Canbridge
Can somebody rate my mark in STEP 2 (like give me lower bound/realistic/upper bound) cuz i've only just started to rethink the paper after all this time. I feel ok with STEP 3 cuz I think I got 4 fulls/2 decent partials but I only have 1-2 fulls in STEP 2. Only rly need to appraise q1,3,4,5,6,11 cuz q2/7 were minimal

q1) Did (i) and (ii) fully and then typod in (iii) so I couldn't get the answer and it was really early on. The substitution I suggested does work tho after some work
q2) did very little
q3) Did all of it but I couldn't get the second result in (ii) about u_r^2-u_(r-1) u_(r+1) and also I typod when doing algebra in the last part about when a=1-1/N so couldn't prove this either
q4) Did fully apart from didn't do (iii) (d)
q5) Did fully but did a dumb way tbh but hopefully markers just care about it being mathematically valid rather than beauty lol. I didn't quite do it fully tho I proved that the num of digits is <= 4 in the last part and found the solution but I didn't inspect the 4 digit case.
q6) This was pretty bad tbh. I did (i), messed up one direction in (ii), got the conditions slightly wrong in (iii), I think I said sth like detM=+/- 1 but really it's just det M = 1, found a valid matrix in (iii)
q7) made very small progress, like 3-5 marks worht lol
q11) did fully but gave little to no explanation for anything so how many E marks is standard on these sorts of questions? Still hoping for 15+ tbh

thanks guys good luck for results day

Spoiler

Of course I haven't seen your paper but surely this is definitely S grade I think, probably 80s for lower bound and 90s for realistic and upper?
Original post by thekidwhogames
Of course I haven't seen your paper but surely this is definitely S grade I think, probably 80s for lower bound and 90s for realistic and upper?

I'm not sure what to make of the fact that lots of people are saying "everyone found this the hardest ever paper" but there are still lots of people who think they got 70-80+ marks which is almost always a 1 in most years so is even more likely to be a 1 this year. What I'm worried about is that most people's idea of a "good paper" is 100+ marks so when they get 70s they think it went really badly despite not really being at risk of not getting a 1.
No offence but some of you guys just need to realise "que sera sera".
Original post by Jrucks
No offence but some of you guys just need to realise "que sera sera".

I mean to a lot of people STEP is a big deal so that's easier said than done.

Nerves will be high esp as we're approaching results.
I am sorry if this is a silly question but how will the universities access our results? How can they link the Metritests account to a candidate? Through mail or name maybe?
Original post by Fz1313
I am sorry if this is a silly question but how will the universities access our results? How can they link the Metritests account to a candidate? Through mail or name maybe?

If this is the same as any other year (can't see why they wouldn't be) - they will be forwarded to universities automatically.
Original post by _gcx
If this is the same as any other year (can't see why they wouldn't be) - they will be forwarded to universities automatically.

I am just wondering how they would do that on a practical level. The Metritests account doesn't have UCAS-ID or anything like that. Just name and email address.
I'm not sure what to make of the fact that lots of people are saying "everyone found this the hardest ever paper" but there are still lots of people who think they got 70-80+ marks which is almost always a 1 in most years so is even more likely to be a 1 this year. What I'm worried about is that most people's idea of a "good paper" is 100+ marks so when they get 70s they think it went really badly despite not really being at risk of not getting a 1.

Yeah I'm not too sure either. But there are many, many people who think they scored 40s-60s when they're hitting 100s in the past (could argue its mocks) but also 100+ in S3. I think these people who still get 80s etc (if what they're claiming is true) will be in the minority - I still think it'll be high 50s/60 for a 1 (record low). Maybe the S will be 80s

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending