Should I change driving instructors? Watch

Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 4 months ago
Backstory;
Been taking lessons for roughly 8 months, had about 30-32 lessons in total now.

I feel like I’m nowhere near test standard yet, I struggle even driving a few minutes independently.

It doesn’t help that my instructor passes off comments like, for example the other day I was dropping off a student and the instructor says something along the lines of “at this rate _____ you’ll reach home in the afternoon” or today when I asked how long it’ll take me to approach test standard the instructor tells me I’m driving horribly and if I continue like this it won’t be any time soon etcetc.

I can’t tell if I’m being overly sensitive but it’s putting me down and I can’t decide if I should change instructors and give someone else a try?

Any advice?
bones-mccoy
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
If you don't feel comfortable or don't feel like you're progressing, find someone else. You wouldn't pay for bad service in any other area so why would you do so with driving? Sounds like your instructor isn't being very helpful, he's telling you your driving isn't good enough but what exactly is he doing to help you improve?
Vibration
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
(Original post by Anonymous)
Backstory;
Been taking lessons for roughly 8 months, had about 30-32 lessons in total now.

I feel like I’m nowhere near test standard yet, I struggle even driving a few minutes independently.

It doesn’t help that my instructor passes off comments like, for example the other day I was dropping off a student and the instructor says something along the lines of “at this rate _____ you’ll reach home in the afternoon” or today when I asked how long it’ll take me to approach test standard the instructor tells me I’m driving horribly and if I continue like this it won’t be any time soon etcetc.

I can’t tell if I’m being overly sensitive but it’s putting me down and I can’t decide if I should change instructors and give someone else a try?

Any advice?
Well, I strongly recommend finding in a new instructor as this one sounds very dodgy because his criticism is not constructive but very rude, also during your lesson to drop others students off is unacceptable.
All he wants is money and doesn`t care about your progress.
Find a instructor you get on with and pay as you go at the beginning also, you should feel as comfortable as possible and it should be a pleasure learning to drive so much that you look forward to your next lesson.
Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 4 months ago
(Original post by Vibration)
Well, I strongly recommend finding in a new instructor as this one sounds very dodgy because his criticism is not constructive but very rude, also during your lesson to drop others students off is unacceptable.
All he wants is money and doesn`t care about your progress.
Find a instructor you get on with and pay as you go at the beginning also, you should feel as comfortable as possible and it should be a pleasure learning to drive so much that you look forward to your next lesson.
I thought dropping off/picking up other students was the norm, I’ve done this on around 10 lessons...wow!

Thank you so much to the both of you, redeemed my confidence, I knew I was letting too much slide. Will definitely be looking into finding a new instructor.
Vibration
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
I thought dropping off/picking up other students was the norm, I’ve done this on around 10 lessons...wow!

Thank you so much to the both of you, redeemed my confidence, I knew I was letting too much slide. Will definitely be looking into finding a new instructor.
Happy to help !
doodle_333
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago

Definitely not normal! That's 10+ minutes you're paying for but not practicing the things you particularly need to.

It's fine not to be confident after 30 hours and it's fine to hate driving but your instructor should reassure you and make you feel confident... not undermine or embarrass you. How are you going to improve or relax with that going on? Look for an ADI instructor with great reviews, an A rating and take a test lesson.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How are your mock exams going?

Love them - Feeling positive (10)
6.25%
They've been reasonable (67)
41.88%
Not feeling great... (44)
27.5%
They are TERRIBLE! (39)
24.38%

Watched Threads