Taking a southerner up t'north- Barror1's first year GYG!

Watch
barror1
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
Hey everyone! :hi:
Welcome to my Grow Your Grades for the first year of university
For anyone who doesn't know me, I'm Barror! I am a first-year student at the University of York (Vanbrugh College) studying a combined degree in English Literature and Linguistics.
Though I did not get the A-level grades I wanted, university is a completely new environment and I hope to improve on myself in ways you really can't without moving away from home and becoming independent. I hope that you will join me while I cultivate my skills and maybe bring back the passion that a third year of Sixth Form totally crushed :laugh:

For now though, I hope you enjoy some juicy information!
A-levels:
Spoiler:
Show
English Language (sat 2018)- A
English Literature- A (I got it reviewed and marked up from a B! :heart:)
Sociology- C (oops!)
Psychology (AS)- C

My Daily Commute
Spoiler:
Show
I am from Bournemouth and am really excited for the 10-12 hour commute every day!
Name:  map-34294_1-32213_1.jpg
Views: 165
Size:  29.8 KB
Spoiler:
Show
:lol:

First-year Literature units:
Spoiler:
Show
Key Concepts: An Introduction to Genre, Theory, and Critical Writing!- The anthology for this unit is the same size as the BIBLE so I hope it is worth it!

Approaches to Literature I: Writing Modernity- So excited for this one. It seems to have a very heavy focus on society which I always enjoy! Plus I get to read Frankenstein again, so it's a win-win really :yay:

Approaches to Literature II: Other Worlds- Medieval literature :love: This module takes us all the way from Beowulf to Blazing World! It is such a huge timeframe to cover but it actually a pretty fun module :woo:

First-year Linguistics units:

Spoiler:
Show
Introduction to Phonetics & Phonology- Proper back-to-basics stuff. Hopefully, it will be a nice couple of weeks reminding myself of the long-dead A-level Language content :rofl:

Introduction to Syntax- I have not looked too much into this unit yet, but I really hope we get to explore syntactical variation in European languages. That would be awesome!

Introduction to Sociolinguistics- Ah the optional unit. I was a huge fan of sociolinguistics at A-level so this seemed like the natural choice. Glad to be back on the bandwagon!

Societies/Clubs:

Spoiler:
Show
So fair to say that this is slightly different from the *4* societies I listed in my start of year update. I... kinda joined 7? :laugh:
-Literature
-Linguistics (also social sec)
-The Yorker (student media)
-Musical Theatre
-Technical Theatre
-Panto
-Trampolining (also training to be a coach!)

Everything else!:
I won't put this bit in a spoiler because there is a lot here that people may like to know!
- Since the first year of university is a pass/fail affair, I will be using it to get as many training, work, and intern positions as I can without risking my degree classification. It just seems like a really good opportunity!
- I have absolutely no idea what I want to do after uni :giggle: I will be doing a bunch of academic stuff while involving myself in musical theatre in case I want to do acting as a career! That being said, I have my heart set on doing a masters at another university if that is what I am so inclined to do by the time I reach my third year.
-There are a few new features I will be playing around with for the blog this year, so keep an eye out!
- The wonderful CoffeeAndPolitics will be a fellow first year at Vanbrugh with me, so expect us to mention each other on our blogs a lot!
-If you want a tag, just comment below and I will add you to the list here in the OP :woo:
Tags:
Last edited by barror1; 7 months ago
CoffeeAndPolitics
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Just popping in here to wish you the very best of luck in your studies. :ahee: Yeah, we'll be mentioning each other a lot over on our GYG blogs and I can't wait to see you again in person.
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by barror1)
Musical Theatre- They are doing Chicago for the February production. You're damn right that I'm auditioning!
:gah: :gah: :gah:

Excited for you!
barror1
Rep:
?
(Original post by CoffeeAndPolitics)
Just popping in here to wish you the very best of luck in your studies. :ahee: Yeah, we'll be mentioning each other a lot over on our GYG blogs and I can't wait to see you again in person.
It will be great to see you again! Very excited for the Viking Raid (I will do a freshers update soon with all of this in soon )
Less than a month until move-in day :woo:
barror1
Rep:
?
(Original post by 8472)
:gah: :gah: :gah:

Excited for you!
Very excited to belt the Cell Block Tango. I don't even care if I sing in it :laugh:
CoffeeAndPolitics
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
It will be great to see you again! Very excited for the Viking Raid (I will do a freshers update soon with all of this in soon )
Less than a month until move-in day :woo:
The Viking Raid will be absolutely amazing and I can't wait to try on the viking helmet you kindly got for me (I'll obviously include this in the Freshers update soon). Last than 4 weeks before move-in and I still have some stuff to buy and I need to get packing soon.
barror1
Rep:
?
The Viking Raid will be absolutely amazing and I can't wait to try on the viking helmet you kindly got for me (I'll obviously include this in the Freshers update soon). Last than 4 weeks before move-in and I still have some stuff to buy and I need to get packing soon.
Oh I have like no cutlery or plates! I'll probably do an update surrounding my IKEA haul but I am going to be as minimalist as possible for move in! Can only fit so much into a tiny car :eek:
Obolinda
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Hello good luck
CoffeeAndPolitics
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Oh I have like no cutlery or plates! I'll probably do an update surrounding my IKEA haul but I am going to be as minimalist as possible for move in! Can only fit so much into a tiny car :eek:
Yh I currently have no cutlery or crockery, i.e. plates etc. and I'm planning to do a mini IKEA haul (nothing ridiculously silly that some studytubers later come to regret when going into their 2nd year ... oh I bought so much **** ). I also want to be as minimalist as possible as I only intend to take two medium/large suitcases with me on the train with my parents. Just need to find a way to pack the crockery if I'm to buy those before I get to York and without damaging them! :eek:
barror1
Rep:
?
(Original post by Obolinda)
Hello good luck
Tysm! :jumphug:
I hope that GCSEs treat you well! Do you want me to tag you?
Obolinda
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Tysm! :jumphug:
I hope that GCSEs treat you well! Do you want me to tag you?
:yep:
barror1
Rep:
?
(Original post by CoffeeAndPolitics)Yh I currently have no cutlery or crockery, i.e. plates etc. and I'm planning to do a mini IKEA haul (nothing ridiculously silly that some studytubers later come to regret when going into their 2nd year ... oh I bought so much **** ). I also want to be as minimalist as possible as I only intend to take two medium/large suitcases with me on the train with my parents. Just need to find a way to pack the crockery if I'm to buy those before I get to York and without damaging them! :eek:
My parents have made me a little basket with a few useful kitchen bits in, but yeah I am planning to just buy some plates, bowls and cutlery and then see what everyone else brings for cooking! I'll probably pick some more bits up on my first big shop with the folks. My biggest fear is overpacking, so I am planning to keep a shelf free in my room for all the stuff I will pick up at uni.
Hopefully it will all work out!
barror1
Rep:
?
(Original post by Obolinda)
:yep:
All done!
Sinnoh
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Put me in the tag list, gimme the notifications!
barror1
Rep:
?
(Original post by Sinnoh)
Put me in the tag list, gimme the notifications!
Sorteddddd :pika:
CoffeeAndPolitics
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
My parents have made me a little basket with a few useful kitchen bits in, but yeah I am planning to just buy some plates, bowls and cutlery and then see what everyone else brings for cooking! I'll probably pick some more bits up on my first big shop with the folks. My biggest fear is overpacking, so I am planning to keep a shelf free in my room for all the stuff I will pick up at uni.
Hopefully it will all work out!
The quote thing broke so I didn't get tagged. I got the bedding stuff already, just need to bring it from home and buy the other stuff I'll need including some plates, bowls and cutlery (they sell packs of 16 for some reason :mad:). Yeah I want to avoid overpacking as that would be a nightmare. I also want to get an iPad Air with the Apple Pencil but we'll see what happens lol. Things should work out fine.
barror1
Rep:
?
The quote thing broke so I didn't get tagged. I got the bedding stuff already, just need to bring it from home and buy the other stuff I'll need including some plates, bowls and cutlery (they sell packs of 16 for some reason :mad:). Yeah I want to avoid overpacking as that would be a nightmare. I also want to get an iPad Air with the Apple Pencil but we'll see what happens lol. Things should work out fine.
PRSOM! Now if you don't mind me, I am going to do some course reading! :work:
laurawatt
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
:excited: yayay barror! :hugs:
barror1
Rep:
?
(Original post by laurawatt)
:excited: yayay barror! :hugs:
It's good to be back! Are you running a GYG this year? I would love to be tagged in it if you are! :hugs:
I AM GROOT 1
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Best of luck :rave:

may I be tagged in this journey ?

Spoiler:
Show
what board were you with for English literature?
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you confident you could find support for your mental health if you needed it in COVID-19?

Yes (103)
22.49%
No (355)
77.51%

Watched Threads