The Student Room Group

Taking a southerner up t'north- Barror1's first year GYG!

Scroll to see replies

Sounds like a really busy but exciting month! I remember my last ever shift at work, hated the job but the people I worked with were amazing and got me gifts! Hopefully you get some stuff too :tongue: have a blast in Amsterdam!! Definitely won't need the fan in the Yorkshire winter, that's for sure :rofl:
Original post by barror1
Frankenstein and 1984 are good shouts! Loved them both :love:
I will need to find a job in order to pay rent, but I just don't want to be working chain-store retail for another 3 years :laugh: I will probably have a good look for vacancies in independent shops and on campus in the next few days!

They are indeed :yep:

fair enough hope it goes well :hugs:
Original post by laurawatt
:woo:

:party:
Original post by Sinnoh
I wish my course had a reading list just to have something to do :bebored:
Enjoy Amsterdam!

Thanks! I am trying to keep myself busy until then, but it is not really working :burnout:
Original post by CoffeeAndPolitics
Haha we'll probably see each other way before then and yeah I need to pay you back for the viking hat you kindly got me. Since we're moving in the same day, there's a chance that you may see me around Vanbrugh College since I'll be arriving late and need to collect my keys from Vanbrugh reception and I'm not sure where I'll be having lunch with my parents - probably in the city centre. Gonna spend the 28th September (move-in day) mostly exploring the city with my parents and doing a massive shop in Morrisons lol. :tongue:

Remind me to update my CV at some point lol, I haven't updated it since Year 10! :colondollar:

Don't worry about paying back cash for the hat! If you do want to pay me though, I would appreciate a drink at the Raid instead :beer:
I won't be arriving until one of the later time slots (already got my ticket for move-in day) and then will be doing the same as you- the big Morrisons shop and a quick look around the city! All in time for freshers to start in the evening :woo:

Original post by nyxnko_
Ooh, this is all so exciting!! :excited:
Hope the remark goes well :redface: and good luck with the job searching!

Thanks! I am just about to do an update so bare with! :wink:
Original post by Protostar
Sounds like a really busy but exciting month! I remember my last ever shift at work, hated the job but the people I worked with were amazing and got me gifts! Hopefully you get some stuff too :tongue: have a blast in Amsterdam!! Definitely won't need the fan in the Yorkshire winter, that's for sure :rofl:

I honestly don't know how my last day will pan out! I know that I need to have a pretty difficult convo with my manager (long story) but hopefully it will be an enjoyable day!
Original post by I AM GROOT 1
They are indeed :yep:

fair enough hope it goes well :hugs:

Thanks! As always, I will update everything here :jumphug:
Original post by barror1
:party:

Thanks! I am trying to keep myself busy until then, but it is not really working :burnout:

Don't worry about paying back cash for the hat! If you do want to pay me though, I would appreciate a drink at the Raid instead :beer:
I won't be arriving until one of the later time slots (already got my ticket for move-in day) and then will be doing the same as you- the big Morrisons shop and a quick look around the city! All in time for freshers to start in the evening :woo:

Thanks! I am just about to do an update so bare with! :wink:

I honestly don't know how my last day will pan out! I know that I need to have a pretty difficult convo with my manager (long story) but hopefully it will be an enjoyable day!

Thanks! As always, I will update everything here :jumphug:

No worries :h:

Awesome :cube:
09/09/19
Goddamn, that was one quick turnaround on the marking review!
Hey everyone!
I just thought I would provide an ultra-quick update to my English lit marking review!
I was 4 marks off the B/A grade boundary, and sent off my papers 1 and 3 to get reviewed. That was on Wednesday.
Well, it is Monday and I have the results........

Spoiler

I had a look at the breakdown, and though I did not get a different mark in my first paper (it stayed at 36), they found 7 marks in my paper 3 (34 to 41).
7!!!!! How does that even happen? :eek:

So long story short, I am so happy that I got the review. Headed to school not too long ago and celebrated with my teachers!
It is just so nice to get closure on this whole situation. Now onto uni

Tags:

Spoiler

Get in! :biggrin:
congratulations!!! I've heard so many stories of 5+ marks being changed, marking really is incredibly shoddy.
Original post by barror1
09/09/19
Hey everyone!
I just thought I would provide an ultra-quick update to my English lit marking review!
I was 4 marks off the B/A grade boundary, and sent off my papers 1 and 3 to get reviewed. That was on Wednesday.

Spoiler

I had a look at the breakdown, and though I did not get a different mark in my first paper (it stayed at 36), they found 7 marks in my paper 3 (34 to 41).

So long story short, I am so happy that I got the review. Headed to school not too long ago and celebrated with my teachers!

Tags:

Spoiler

Great to hear :woo:
Original post by barror1

I'll get you a drink at the Raid instead then lol. :h:
I'm not due to arrive into York station until about 11:30 and I'll have to dash straight down to Vanbrugh Reception and then head to the Dinning Room to grab the rest of the freshers stuff with what's looking like one very large suitcase full of my stuff and my lovely parents haha. I'll probably head back to my accommodation first and start unpacking + make the bed before getting lunch and doing the big Morrisons shop. By the time that happens, I'd probably bump into you there. :biggrin:
Original post by barror1
09/09/19
Hey everyone!

Spoiler

Tags:

Spoiler

Congratulations on the successful marking review for English Literature! I wish I was fortunate with history as I was 7 off iirc and the other papers aren't worth reviewing since I'm way off the next grade to bump up the overall grade. :smile:
Original post by Sinnoh
Get in! :biggrin:

:party2:
Original post by RhynieChert
congratulations!!! I've heard so many stories of 5+ marks being changed, marking really is incredibly shoddy.

To be fair, humanities tend to have incorrect grades almost half of the time. I just never thought that they would find that many marks! :eek:
Original post by I AM GROOT 1
Great to hear :woo:

Honestly so chuffed. I hope that everything is going well for you! :hugs:
I'll get you a drink at the Raid instead then lol. :h:
I'm not due to arrive into York station until about 11:30 and I'll have to dash straight down to Vanbrugh Reception and then head to the Dinning Room to grab the rest of the freshers stuff with what's looking like one very large suitcase full of my stuff and my lovely parents haha. I'll probably head back to my accommodation first and start unpacking + make the bed before getting lunch and doing the big Morrisons shop. By the time that happens, I'd probably bump into you there. :biggrin:

Congratulations on the successful marking review for English Literature! I wish I was fortunate with history as I was 7 off iirc and the other papers aren't worth reviewing since I'm way off the next grade to bump up the overall grade. :smile:

Sounds like a plan!
I am not arriving at York until about 16:00, and then will probably just get my bedding sorted ready to unpack properly the next day. I've got a lot of stuff, but definitely not too much! I am more concerned about the space that my computer will take up in the car :afraid:
If I don't see you during the move-in process, we will definitely have to meet up during freshers!

And it is a shame about your history. I was really far off a B in Sociology too so I get how that feels :redface:
At least we both made it to a great uni!
Original post by barror1
:party2:

To be fair, humanities tend to have incorrect grades almost half of the time. I just never thought that they would find that many marks! :eek:

Honestly so chuffed. I hope that everything is going well for you! :hugs:

Sounds like a plan!
I am not arriving at York until about 16:00, and then will probably just get my bedding sorted ready to unpack properly the next day. I've got a lot of stuff, but definitely not too much! I am more concerned about the space that my computer will take up in the car :afraid:
If I don't see you during the move-in process, we will definitely have to meet up during freshers!

And it is a shame about your history. I was really far off a B in Sociology too so I get how that feels :redface:

:jumphug:
Original post by barror1
Sounds like a plan!

Ah 16:00, I'll probably be out exploring the city and/or doing a big Morrisons shop lmao. We'll defo meet up during the freshers week events so should see you around then. :smile:

Yeah history was frustrating because I knew I had struggled with Paper 3 and messed up in my 20 marker for Paper 2 but I wasn't expecting to get anything less than a Grade B (not trying to sound cocky). Unfortunately, that wasn't the case and I think I had completely bombed the 20 marker for Paper 2 and gave it my best attempt for Paper 3 (I somehow got a C in that horrible paper) and it worked out to a Grade C in the end. :redface:

I agree, we've both made it to a great uni and I cannot be much happier. :smile:
Ah 16:00, I'll probably be out exploring the city and/or doing a big Morrisons shop lmao. We'll defo meet up during the freshers week events so should see you around then. :smile:

Yeah history was frustrating because I knew I had struggled with Paper 3 and messed up in my 20 marker for Paper 2 but I wasn't expecting to get anything less than a Grade B (not trying to sound cocky). Unfortunately, that wasn't the case and I think I had completely bombed the 20 marker for Paper 2 and gave it my best attempt for Paper 3 (I somehow got a C in that horrible paper) and it worked out to a Grade C in the end. :redface:

I agree, we've both made it to a great uni and I cannot be much happier. :smile:

Ironically, the review now makes my paper 3 my strongest paper :laugh:
I honestly thought I would score more in sociology than literature but that is life. I also did not expect paper 2 to be my lowest scoring in sociology! Got 49/60 in my paper 3 which was so much higher than expected :rofl:
well done!! :woo:
That's brilliant!
Original post by nyxnko_
well done!! :woo:

Original post by DrawTheLine
That's brilliant!

Thanks guys! Really happy to finally get some closure about this grade :grouphugs:
YES GIRL! :woo:
Original post by Obolinda

Original post by RazzzBerries
YES GIRL! :woo:

Woo!!!!!
Now if you don't mind, I think I am going to get myself a drink with the money I got back from the review :laugh:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending