Hey yall (this discussion is gcse related)y

Watch
username4929440
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
Hi in a few days time I’m going to be an official year 10 student 🤧😂 and before the summer holidays we have started doing our gcse subjects but I have always wanted to find out from your experiences how hard or easy these gcse subjects (which are shown below) are 🤷*♀️:

- English Lang & lit (aqa) -> compulsory
-maths (edexcel) I do foundation 💀💀 -> compulsory
-combined science (aqa) foundation too ( -> compulsory
-re (aqa) -> compulsory since I go to a catholic school
-art (aqa)
-history (aqa)
-food tech (aqa)

And if you want can you plz give me or anyone who is thinking of or are doing these subjects for gcse any tips to achieve high grades ✌️

Have a good day, God bless x

epicnm
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Hi, I’m going into Year 11 and do some of those subjects.
English Lit: For the texts that I’ve done, if your teacher is good at explaining the text then it is relatively okay. If you don’t understand the exit, ask your teacher or search it up online-there are so many summaries online for the novels you do.
English Lang: Make sure your analysing skills are up to date and you know a few English techniques. I recommend Mr Salles on YouTube if your struggling, but for the past couple of years (with the new GCSEs), the grade boundaries have been fairly low(I achieved a 9 in Language for my mock and I definitely am not that great at English).
Maths for Edexcel is living hell. I’m saying that because I took a year out of maths to do statistics GCSE at my school, meaning I forgot everything I’d done in Year 7,8 and 9, hence why I struggled at first. But practice, practice and practice. That got me an 8 in my mocks. I also did higher tier so for foundation it will be far easier than what I did.
RE is also compulsory for me. Make sure you understand it well. RE is an easy subject to get a 8/9 in, but that requires you to know the content. Make sure your learning both content and religious scriptures for the exam questions.
Unfortunately I don’t take food or art. If you need any more help, let me know!
username4929440
Rep:
?
(Original post by epicnm)
Hi, I’m going into Year 11 and do some of those subjects.
English Lit: For the texts that I’ve done, if your teacher is good at explaining the text then it is relatively okay. If you don’t understand the exit, ask your teacher or search it up online-there are so many summaries online for the novels you do.
English Lang: Make sure your analysing skills are up to date and you know a few English techniques. I recommend Mr Salles on YouTube if your struggling, but for the past couple of years (with the new GCSEs), the grade boundaries have been fairly low(I achieved a 9 in Language for my mock and I definitely am not that great at English).
Maths for Edexcel is living hell. I’m saying that because I took a year out of maths to do statistics GCSE at my school, meaning I forgot everything I’d done in Year 7,8 and 9, hence why I struggled at first. But practice, practice and practice. That got me an 8 in my mocks. I also did higher tier so for foundation it will be far easier than what I did.
RE is also compulsory for me. Make sure you understand it well. RE is an easy subject to get a 8/9 in, but that requires you to know the content. Make sure your learning both content and religious scriptures for the exam questions.
Unfortunately I don’t take food or art. If you need any more help, let me know!
Tysm 💕
bleh_bleh
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
I finished yr11 this year (got my grades last Thursday)

English lit- make sure to only pick relevant quotes that can have multiple interpretations. And make sure you can answer questions under timed conditions.

English lang- watch mr salles on YouTube. I only watched him like a week before my exams but his videos hamelped me so much. For question 5 on each paper try to use a range of punctuation and vocab but don’t overdo it so it looks like you’re forcing it

Maths- maths is all about practice papers and questions. Ask a teacher to explain if you don’t understand and make sure you remember the relevant formulas

Science- I did triple instead of combined but freesciencelessons on YouTube was a life saver and lots of past papers

RE- I did re but with Edexcel so I don’t know if the questions are structured the same but learn quotes (whether it’s from the Bible, Quran, etc) and just memorise facts basically

Art- didn’t do art but a lot of my friends did so just keep on top of your work because art is a lot of work but fab fun as it’s different from your other subjects

History- memorise facts and practise questions under timed conditions and get your teacher to mark them often

GCSEs aren’t that hard tbh but you have to memorise a lot. Just do your homework and complete past papers and you’ll be fine. Good luck!
username4929440
Rep:
?
(Original post by bleh_bleh)
I finished yr11 this year (got my grades last Thursday)

English lit- make sure to only pick relevant quotes that can have multiple interpretations. And make sure you can answer questions under timed conditions.

English lang- watch mr salles on YouTube. I only watched him like a week before my exams but his videos hamelped me so much. For question 5 on each paper try to use a range of punctuation and vocab but don’t overdo it so it looks like you’re forcing it

Maths- maths is all about practice papers and questions. Ask a teacher to explain if you don’t understand and make sure you remember the relevant formulas

Science- I did triple instead of combined but freesciencelessons on YouTube was a life saver and lots of past papers

RE- I did re but with Edexcel so I don’t know if the questions are structured the same but learn quotes (whether it’s from the Bible, Quran, etc) and just memorise facts basically

Art- didn’t do art but a lot of my friends did so just keep on top of your work because art is a lot of work but fab fun as it’s different from your other subjects

History- memorise facts and practise questions under timed conditions and get your teacher to mark them often

GCSEs aren’t that hard tbh but you have to memorise a lot. Just do your homework and complete past papers and you’ll be fine. Good luck!
Tysmm 💕
niamh2805
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by vsco.gurl)
Hi in a few days time I’m going to be an official year 10 student 🤧😂 and before the summer holidays we have started doing our gcse subjects but I have always wanted to find out from your experiences how hard or easy these gcse subjects (which are shown below) are 🤷*♀️:

- English Lang & lit (aqa) -> compulsory
-maths (edexcel) I do foundation 💀💀 -> compulsory
-combined science (aqa) foundation too ( -> compulsory
-re (aqa) -> compulsory since I go to a catholic school
-art (aqa)
-history (aqa)
-food tech (aqa)

And if you want can you plz give me or anyone who is thinking of or are doing these subjects for gcse any tips to achieve high grades ✌️

Have a good day, God bless x
i’m going into year 13 and got mostly 9s with two 8s and a 7 at gcse
lit & lang - easy if you can phrase things in the way they want
maths - i did higher and found it difficult but if you can apply knowledge you’ll come out with a good grade. do practice papers for the highest you can get
science - i did triple higher and again it was murder but memorising the textbook and regurgitating it got me three 9s so
re - again pretty easy, there’s not a lot you can do to stand out to the examiner apart from phrase things in a sophisticated way i guess

& i didn’t do the others

good luck for your exams x
username4929440
Rep:
?
(Original post by niamh2805)
i’m going into year 13 and got mostly 9s with two 8s and a 7 at gcse
lit & lang - easy if you can phrase things in the way they want
maths - i did higher and found it difficult but if you can apply knowledge you’ll come out with a good grade. do practice papers for the highest you can get
science - i did triple higher and again it was murder but memorising the textbook and regurgitating it got me three 9s so
re - again pretty easy, there’s not a lot you can do to stand out to the examiner apart from phrase things in a sophisticated way i guess

& i didn’t do the others

good luck for your exams x
Tysm xx
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you travelling in the Uni student travel window (3-9 Dec) to go home for Christmas?

Yes (94)
28.23%
No - I have already returned home (44)
13.21%
No - I plan on travelling outside these dates (62)
18.62%
No - I'm staying at my term time address over Christmas (33)
9.91%
No - I live at home during term anyway (100)
30.03%

Watched Threads