Differences between Mathematics (few types) Watch

username4931928
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
Hi...

I'm at IGCSE level.
So I wanted to know that which Mathematics to take, the Mathematics (9-1) [0980] or Mathematics International [0607] ?

And next thing is, should I take Additional Mathematics [0606] as well? Is it necessary and why should a Student take it? What are the benefits and non-benefits for not taking it?

As I see at A Level there is very types of Maths to learn so if not taken Add Maths a problem? And universities do start from basic, and is it a problem to start any Engineering/degree class without add maths here? Possible not coping up with class or fail to have job?

Please explain me all in great details.

Thanks...
goatslayer2
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Ricon)
Hi...

I'm at IGCSE level.
So I wanted to know that which Mathematics to take, the Mathematics (9-1) [0980] or Mathematics International [0607] ?

And next thing is, should I take Additional Mathematics [0606] as well? Is it necessary and why should a Student take it? What are the benefits and non-benefits for not taking it?

As I see at A Level there is very types of Maths to learn so if not taken Add Maths a problem? And universities do start from basic, and is it a problem to start any Engineering/degree class without add maths here? Possible not coping up with class or fail to have job?

Please explain me all in great details.

Thanks...
Add math is just an additional qualification. It does count as an IGCSE however most people take it just for the knowledge and don't achieve high marks. It's not needed. However, it will help with some parts of A level maths. However, it is more beneficial for IB. And at A level they will offer u "Further Maths" which will help you a lot in university. I researched this a lot myself because I was worried I would be behind if I didn't take add math. You'll be okay with normal math and if you want to do Further Maths at A levels then you should cover some extra content during the summer to have a head start. But Add math will help you a lot, especially the understanding but for me, the extra stress wasn't worth it.
username4931928
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
(Original post by goatslayer2)
Add math is just an additional qualification. It does count as an IGCSE however most people take it just for the knowledge and don't achieve high marks. It's not needed. However, it will help with some parts of A level maths. However, it is more beneficial for IB. And at A level they will offer u "Further Maths" which will help you a lot in university. I researched this a lot myself because I was worried I would be behind if I didn't take add math. You'll be okay with normal math and if you want to do Further Maths at A levels then you should cover some extra content during the summer to have a head start. But Add math will help you a lot, especially the understanding but for me, the extra stress wasn't worth it.
Well I have learned and covered the Edexcel Pure Mathematics, I learend it from a teacher at my Home. So I have the idea of the topics and can do sums. So the main thing is that its very hard and not enough luck to achieve for me good grade it that so why waste time on that, so I am now at CAIE thus didn't take Add/Pure Maths. I think its a fine choice. And at A levels I will get prepared with Maths as I already know the Pure/Add maths topics no problem if i didn't give exam right?
So yeah A level will prepare me for best in for universities I believe.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of Bradford
    Undergraduate and Postgraduate Open day Postgraduate
    Thu, 24 Oct '19
  • Cardiff University
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 26 Oct '19
  • Brunel University London
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 26 Oct '19

Would you turn to a teacher if you were being bullied?

Yes (76)
23.75%
No (244)
76.25%

Watched Threads