loneill2
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 7 months ago
Hi there,

I've recently been accepted to study the GDL at both the University of Law (moorgate) and at Northumrbia University - this may seem surprising to some, but I am torn in regards to my decision on where to go.

A little background info...
I studied my undergratuate degree at Newcastle University and so I know the city very well and going back for another year does not phase me. However, I am orginally from London.

I've weighed up the pros and cons to both universities and what it seems to boil down to is the travelling distance (i.e. it would take me an hour to get to moorgate, whereas in Newcastle where I would be staying it would only take me 20 mins to get to Northumbria University).

I know the University of Law is considered a much better university in regards to its connections etc and so I guess my question is: Does it really matter where you do the GDL? and if I do decide to go to Northumbria, will I be missing out on opportunities in London?
harrysbar
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 7 months ago
(Original post by loneill2)
Hi there,

I've recently been accepted to study the GDL at both the University of Law (moorgate) and at Northumrbia University - this may seem surprising to some, but I am torn in regards to my decision on where to go.

A little background info...
I studied my undergratuate degree at Newcastle University and so I know the city very well and going back for another year does not phase me. However, I am orginally from London.

I've weighed up the pros and cons to both universities and what it seems to boil down to is the travelling distance (i.e. it would take me an hour to get to moorgate, whereas in Newcastle where I would be staying it would only take me 20 mins to get to Northumbria University).

I know the University of Law is considered a much better university in regards to its connections etc and so I guess my question is: Does it really matter where you do the GDL? and if I do decide to go to Northumbria, will I be missing out on opportunities in London?
It doesn't matter where you do your GDL, no. Law firms don't mind where you do it if you are paying for it yourself.

My daughter did hers at the University of Law in Bloomsbury and I can tell you that they gave her no careers support at all when it came to applying to vac schemes/training contracts so really, you won't be missing out on anything by going to Nortumbria instead.
17Student17
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 7 months ago
I would go with London (and know both places - from Newcastle and am a lawyer in London). You will be better able to access interviews for jobs in London, volunteering in law centres etc may get you more commercial experience and your family are in London.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What factors affect your mental health the most right now? (select all that apply)

Lack of purpose or routine (121)
15.69%
Uncertainty around my education (125)
16.21%
Uncertainty around my future career prospects (72)
9.34%
Isolating with family (51)
6.61%
Lack of support system (eg. Teachers, counsellors) (30)
3.89%
Lack of exercise/ability to be outside (66)
8.56%
Loneliness (81)
10.51%
Financial worries (32)
4.15%
Concern about myself or my loved ones getting ill (70)
9.08%
Exposure to negative news/social media (50)
6.49%
Lack of real life entertainment (eg. cinema, gigs, restaurants) (73)
9.47%

Watched Threads