The Student Room Group

No GCSEs or A Levels - Wanting to study medicine

Hey guys. Sorry if this is the wrong forum.

Bit of background: I am 21 years old, 22 this year. I failed my GCSE’s and didn’t gather enough ‘acceptable’ BTEC’s to apply to any medical school. During school/college time there were a few... let’s say ‘complications’ that in turn lead to bad grades.

I’ve always wanted to a doctor, and this year I have really been thinking about starting studying again to actually try and make that happen.

I was looking into the Open University for a degree as some medical schools allow for a graduate entry without other qualifications (minus the medial exams for entry, I cannot for the life of me remember the names of them haha). I was thinking of either psychology or they have a ‘Healthcare and Health Sciences’ degree which I think would be better suited, but I am unsure if it would be allowed because it doesn’t look like it is accredited.

I’ve also ready that is highly competitive, so I’m thinking a 3 year degree might be a waste of time. At this point, I am extremely dedicated, and ready to do what is necessary, even if that means re taking some A-Level or w/e. What are the best routes, if any, for me to take?

Thank you, hope to hear from you soon!
I will always trust to lend a hand to these kind of situations :hugs:
Reply 2
I think you’re screwed, maybe try taking a levels+ English and maths gcse
Original post by m_j_
I think you’re screwed, maybe try taking a levels+ English and maths gcse

Telling someone they're screwed isn't helpful in anyway. And like another guy said, there's a lot more than the core Maths and English GCSEs. Medicine is one of the most competitive study fields for any University I'd imagine.

Anyway, OP is a couple of years behind education than the typical medical student. It's not an easy task, no education is. But with hard work it's still possible for them providing they have the passion and ethic to study and get the grades for University.
Reply 4
The other thing to look at is that some med schools accept mature non-graduates and assess entry entirely individually, eg Liverpool (have a whole course for this), though for some you need to meet WA criteria.
https://www.liverpool.ac.uk/study/undergraduate/applying/mature-students/
So really, you need to just go through all med schools websites/entry requirements and see what they have to say about mature non-grads.
Your best bet is probably going to be 5+ GCSEs then an access to medicine course, but do check out any courses carefully as some have a better progression rate to medicine than others. I am not an expert on these courses and have no idea how up to date this is, but it may at least be a starting point:
https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/wiki/Access_to_Medicine

UCAS also lists these courses under 'medicine and dentistry'.

So it is going to be a lot of legwork, I would have thought, but you will almost certainly need GCSEs before you can go anywhere, so maybe look at starting with those whilst you are researching!
Good luck
Reply 5
I’m sure they there are unis where gcses barely matter, like Cambridge. I’ve also heard that you can do biochemistry (I think) and, I feel you’re doing well in that degree, you could transfer to medicine.
Reply 6
Thank you everyone for your replies. I have a lot of work ahead of me, no matter how I go about it.

I’m looking forward to the next few years, and after seeing that it still is possible to study medicine in my situation has made me feel a lot more confident in what the future holds!!
Original post by Foxesunite
Thank you everyone for your replies. I have a lot of work ahead of me, no matter how I go about it.

I’m looking forward to the next few years, and after seeing that it still is possible to study medicine in my situation has made me feel a lot more confident in what the future holds!!

Good luck! I would love to stay updated on your progress :smile:

Latest

Trending

Trending