How much of your student loan did you have left after paying rent Watch

Jessicafreya0
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
What is the whole concept of an overdraft can you explain please? Do I need a specific back account for this?
VegetableMarvell
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
(Original post by Jessicafreya0)
What is the whole concept of an overdraft can you explain please? Do I need a specific back account for this?
Just get a student account. And look for one with the best amount of free overdraft (basically borrowing money from the bank and not having to pay interest on it). I'm going with Nationwide, cause they've guaranteed up to £1,000 free overdraft this year, and the rest of them don't really 'guarantee'.

Also, I've got nothing left after accom. My accommodation actually goes over what I've got loan wise. So that sucks.
Jessicafreya0
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
Oh jeeez okay I’m gonna go for nationwide then this will be my first year VegetableMarvell
Last edited by Jessicafreya0; 2 weeks ago
Jessicafreya0
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
So I already have a NatWest bank account can I still open and get a student one with nationwide whilst keeping my NatWest open? VegetableMarvell
VegetableMarvell
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
Oh jeeez okay I’m gonna go for nationwide then this will be my first year VegetableMarvell
Yeah it's my first year too. Just ring up and ask for an appointment to discuss it at your local branch. If you've got an account already at different bank, it may have automatically upgraded to Student, rather than "Under 18". That's what happened with my TSB account.
Here's the link I used for student bank account info:

https://www.savethestudent.org/money...-accounts.html
DrawTheLine
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
For my most recent year at uni I had around half of my loan left
Jessicafreya0
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
VegetableMarvell okay thanks a bunch I might get one during the course I’m not sure I’ll figure it out. Also DrawTheLine how much was this?
DrawTheLine
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
VegetableMarvell okay thanks a bunch I might get one during the course I’m not sure I’ll figure it out. Also DrawTheLine how much was this?
Around 4.5k
Jessicafreya0
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
We’re you okay on this ? DrawTheLine
DrawTheLine
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
We’re you okay on this ? DrawTheLine
Yes it was more than enough. I also have a part time job too which bumped it up a bit. If you just monitor your spending, food shop with a plan and think before you buy then you'll be fine.
Jessicafreya0
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
How much did you spend on food a week if you don’t mind me asking? DrawTheLine thanks x
Jamie_1712
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
-£2300 yes that’s right, it doesn’t even cover accommodation 😬
Phoenixfeather99
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
I worked out today how much I’ll have left over if I keep to a monthly budget.... I’m -£695. I’m really hoping my mum will top up my maintenance loan to the full amount 😖 as that figure doesn’t include new clothes, nights out, printing allowance, textbooks etc.
Mustafa0605
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
Negative £2800. Not cool
DrawTheLine
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
How much did you spend on food a week if you don’t mind me asking? DrawTheLine thanks x
Around £15-20
Rhodesian
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
(Original post by Mustafa0605)
Negative £2800. Not cool
How will you be on -£2800 after accommodation?

Seems scary.
Mustafa0605
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
(Original post by Rhodesian)
How will you be on -£2800 after accommodation?

Seems scary.
Accommodation costs me £7k and because both my parents work, I get the minimum student maintenance loan
EJC001
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
I don't live in student accommodation, I'll be living with my parents but have to pay £1000 per term which means I am left with £1400 on the first term. Thankfully I don't have to buy a gaming laptop for my course again like last year. But I do have to pay for my breakfast and lunches
octo
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
I actually have the numbers for this because of my budget! Hope it helps people.

1st year: In halls, rent was 6418 and my student loan was 7506 -- so I had 1088 left over. This wasn't quite enough to survive -- I got a little financial help from my parents, and my living costs for the year worked out at just over 1300.

2nd year: off campus. Rent was 4840 not including deposit or bills, but my student loan was 8480, so I had a cool 3640 left over. DEFINITELY doable - my living expenses were around 1600.

And 3rd year: back in halls. My rent is 4500 and my student loan is 6830, so I'll have 2330 left over - which is more than doable imo.
Mustafa0605
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
(Original post by octo)
I actually have the numbers for this because of my budget! Hope it helps people.

1st year: In halls, rent was 6418 and my student loan was 7506 -- so I had 1088 left over. This wasn't quite enough to survive -- I got a little financial help from my parents, and my living costs for the year worked out at just over 1300.

2nd year: off campus. Rent was 4840 not including deposit or bills, but my student loan was 8480, so I had a cool 3640 left over. DEFINITELY doable - my living expenses were around 1600.

And 3rd year: back in halls. My rent is 4500 and my student loan is 6830, so I'll have 2330 left over - which is more than doable imo.
Why was first year accommodation much more expensive?
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Durham University
    Pre-Application Open Days Undergraduate
    Fri, 20 Sep '19
  • Loughborough University
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 20 Sep '19
  • University of Oxford
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 20 Sep '19

What's your favourite genre?