Turn on thread page Beta

Whose the best solo artist ever??? watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lou p lou)
    i'm suprised no ones said elvis (even tho i personally can't stand him)

lou xxx
    Was going to say him because, after all he is elvis but I can't stand him either.

ReputationRep:
    No1s mentioned the Frank either!!! :eek:

ReputationRep:
    Nick Drake?
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer
    (Original post by Triple D)
    does he release solo material? :confused:
    I've only just read this thread again, and yes, Jon Bon Jovi does release solo material. How about Blaze of Glory on Young Guns 2, and his whole album inspired by the film? And Destination Anywhere.

ReputationRep:
    dare i even mention my idol?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by scruffypippin)
    Nick Drake?
    Hmm, he was good, but when ever i listen to any albums i can't help feeling that his death has helped his success alot.

(Original post by NDGAARONDI)
    Well he's had a decent career spanning 5 decades or something. You may not like him but he's achieved a lot.
    he has been succesfully commercial, buts its all about the music, and his music is not very good for my taste anywayz

ReputationRep:
    Jeff Buckley
    John Lennon
    Bob Dylan
    Damien Rice (I expect he'll have a good career).

ReputationRep:
    Morrissey and Cliff Richard.

Not typical for 22 year old I know. I am not saying I like Cliff Richard's music as such but he demands huge respect. He has sold 120 million records mostly in the UK, he has sold more records in the UK than anybody else by a huge margin. He is the only person to have a number one in every dacade since the 50's. He missed out the 2000's though by one week .

Remember when we wowed the crowd at Wimbeldon in 1995? It was raining and the match was canceled, Cliff was in the audience so he got up went to the commentators box and started singing totaly unplanned no backing music no nothing, and he sang very well.

Now on to Morrissey people say his misserable but those who have studied his lyrics know he is anything but. A lot of his longs are so sweet and cute love stories. Some of them a quite bitter but have stark realities that nobody else dare to talk about. He has wrote songs about murder, rape, morecombe, Geroge Bush (kind off) and there isn't a single swear word in any of them.

When you see him live you see how Morrissey gets so much fuss in the music press. MNE have named him the most influential solo artist. In a poll by the Manchester Evening News Morriissey won by a huge margin there was 20 people in the poll including the Alan Tourining, The Galaghar (sorry my spelling is awful tonight) brothers, Mick Twatnull etc.

He is a god like creature in Manchester but he is also extremely popular world wide. I am seeing him again in Dublin and that is sold out.

The most remarkable thing I find about Morrissey is though the fact he is celibate and the fact he was a geek who only has 8 freinds. People like Tony Wilson laughed at him in the early 80's little did they know he would end up fronting perhaps the most important band of the 1980's The Smiths.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by amazingtrade)
    Mick Twatnull etc.
    lol

Most people already mentioned did their best stuff whilst in bands already(Hendrix, Lennon) imo.

Bob Dylan most definitely though, the quality and volume of songs he wrote that have become classics and been covered by other people is awesome.

ReputationRep:
    Bob Dylan.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by scruffypippin)
    Nick Drake?
    pink, pink, pink, pink.
    pink moon.

^lovely, but the only one of his I know

so no mention of 2Pac yet?

Poll
Who is most responsible for your success at university
Useful resources

Articles:

TSR wiki music section

Quick link:

Unanswered music threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.