Why do I hate asking for help? Is it social anxiety?

Watch
Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
I usually do things myself and am the eldest child. I'm at uni and often receive feedback that I could have gone to my supervisor earlier for help because it would hve meant I would not be stuck as often. Also group leaders often have to tell me that they dont mind if I ask for help. I'm not used to asking for help and dont know why I avoid it. I know I can get tasks done well alone but I guess help would reduce stress.
I dont know why I am wired to be like this and the fact that other people think I avoid them is worrying because it means others have noticed.
I also have anxiety so i dont know if it's just that... I avoid speaking to people especially new people I've just met like teachers etc because I feel awkward.
I dont really know what I'm trying to ask for by posting this but is anyone like this? Why am I like this? And how do I stop being like this?
I want to be a surgeon one day so I really will need to be more confident asking for help, I know I'm not great at everything but I also have anxiety. Just dont want it to impact my opportunities or come across as rude because I "avoid" people, because no one can see worry in my mind, they'll assume just rude
Kakeguru
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
I feel the exact same way. Anyone know how to help do pls do let us say 😓
Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
(Original post by Kakeguru)
I feel the exact same way. Anyone know how to help do pls do let us say 😓
Really??? I feel like its just me! I am normally confident ish and a medic so people think I'm just arrogant if I dont ask my supervisors for help. One also said it's hard to read me and i look like i don't care but i really do! I hope I dont come across as rude, I'm just used to doing things myself with no guidance or help, so when I hve it there I dont even recognise it. Also when I ask for help I cant do it confidently, and thank people too much till it's just weird, it will impact me professionally and I just dont want to be an awkward doctor who is left behind because loud people who can pretend to care appear to be interested more 😭😭😭😭 when did u realise u were like this?
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How would you feel if uni students needed to be double vaccinated to start in Autumn?

I'd feel reassured about my own health (33)
15.28%
I'd feel reassured my learning may be less disrupted by isolations/lockdowns (66)
30.56%
I'd feel less anxious about being around large groups (25)
11.57%
I don't mind if others are vaccinated or not (18)
8.33%
I'm concerned it may disadvantage some students (12)
5.56%
I think it's an unfair expectation (59)
27.31%
Something else (tell us in the thread) (3)
1.39%

Watched Threads