xox_wonderland
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 11 months ago
I'm pulling out my hair trying to figure out how best to revise the breadth and depth studies for my course. Any suggestions on how to break things down in a relatively single way?

And for anyone who has/is studying Tsarist and Revolutionary Russia and the Making of Modern Britian, if you have resources or checklists of topics you could share that'd be incredibly helpful too- thanks in advance!
Molly1611
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 11 months ago
(Original post by xox_wonderland)
I'm pulling out my hair trying to figure out how best to revise the breadth and depth studies for my course. Any suggestions on how to break things down in a relatively single way?

And for anyone who has/is studying Tsarist and Revolutionary Russia and the Making of Modern Britian, if you have resources or checklists of topics you could share that'd be incredibly helpful too- thanks in advance!
Hi, I did AQA History last year but on different topics. For my breadth course I did Tudors- I made timelines for each monarch and then broke it down into most important key dates that represent the overall theme of that monarch in each time period. For depth, there is less dates/events but you need to know specifics- so i just made mind maps for an event or time period and put specific info on it. The worst mistake I made was treating Tudors as if it were a depth course when in reality, I didn't need to know that much about the events- maybe a few numbers/stats to get top marks. For both papers, I rewrote notes from the textbook and my notes. I also went through every past exam paper and wrote the questions on flashcards (I also asked my teacher for more exam type questions too), folded them up and put them in a jar, randomly picked one out and wrote an essay/source answer in timed conditions. I made a jar for each topic, one for Tudors and one for International Relations. For me, exam practice was more important as I knew the facts, I just needed to write it in a sophisticated but precise way. Hope this helps!
xox_wonderland
Rep:
?
Hi,
That's so helpful, thank you! In terms of essays, did you have a certain essay structure or formula for structuring your paragraphs?

Thanks again!
Molly1611
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 11 months ago
(Original post by xox_wonderland)
Hi,
That's so helpful, thank you! In terms of essays, did you have a certain essay structure or formula for structuring your paragraphs?

Thanks again!
With essays, I factorised first. If the question was "Henry VIII's reign was a complete success. Assess the validity of this view.", you could do an easy 'yes' or 'no' answer. But to make it more intricate (and therefore higher graded) break it down into factors like; government, finance, dynasty, and say which parts of each factor were a success and which weren't. For example, Para 1: Government- good ministers, poor control. Para 2: Finance- inherited a year and a half income but spent it all. Obviously you would elaborate and use specific examples within those factors. In your conclusion, come to your own opinion, I used Clearly... However... Therefore... This worked for me as it got me to think. Honestly, I struggled with History but after a load of revision I got an A so hopefully this works for you too. Everyone is different though as my friend wrote in her own way and got an A* so rules in essays aren't for everyone, so don't stress as it took me ages to work out what worked for me. Oh, also, if the question is on a factor like government, break it down into the parts of government as your factors, like Star Chamber, Council.etc. I used to use events/dates as factors which was a massive mistake as I'd run out of things to say, use factors and then evidence within those factors. You only need 2/3 pieces of evidence in your paragraph.
xox_wonderland
Rep:
?
(Original post by Molly1611)
With essays, I factorised first. If the question was "Henry VIII's reign was a complete success. Assess the validity of this view.", you could do an easy 'yes' or 'no' answer. But to make it more intricate (and therefore higher graded) break it down into factors like; government, finance, dynasty, and say which parts of each factor were a success and which weren't. For example, Para 1: Government- good ministers, poor control. Para 2: Finance- inherited a year and a half income but spent it all. Obviously you would elaborate and use specific examples within those factors. In your conclusion, come to your own opinion, I used Clearly... However... Therefore... This worked for me as it got me to think. Honestly, I struggled with History but after a load of revision I got an A so hopefully this works for you too. Everyone is different though as my friend wrote in her own way and got an A* so rules in essays aren't for everyone, so don't stress as it took me ages to work out what worked for me. Oh, also, if the question is on a factor like government, break it down into the parts of government as your factors, like Star Chamber, Council.etc. I used to use events/dates as factors which was a massive mistake as I'd run out of things to say, use factors and then evidence within those factors. You only need 2/3 pieces of evidence in your paragraph.
Thank you so much- I'll try this on my next few essays, I was using events and dates like you said you used to as well. Also,congrats on the A, that's insane! Thanks again.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What are you most likely to do if you don't get the grades you were expecting?

Go through Clearing (252)
39.75%
Take autumn exams (188)
29.65%
Look for a job (21)
3.31%
Consider an apprenticeship (25)
3.94%
Take a year out (110)
17.35%
Something else (let us know in the thread!) (38)
5.99%

Watched Threads