saira14
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 weeks ago
I tried to enrol at a college today for the Level 2 BTEC in Applied science but the college said they couldn't offer me anything because they thought it was setting me up to fail. Last year I studied Level 2 BTEC Business at a different college and got PP which wasn't enough for me to progress onto Level 3 Business and because of funding reasons that meant I couldn't go back to that college. However during my time at that college I managed to get my English GCSE to 4. This college rejected me because I needed a 4 in GCSE Maths but only at a 2- the man said in science there is a lot of math up to GCSE PASS equivalent and he thinks I would find it difficult. Furthermore I have no background in science- I had a hard time at high school and could not access my GCSES except for English and maths. No pass in GCSE Maths and no previous science knowledge they rejected me. But nationally the requirements for science level 2 is a 3 in English and maths, and eventhough I have not got a 3 in maths I have got my functional skills in it. also, I started afresh in business having no previous knowledge of the subject yet still managed to complete the course. I know it wasn't the best grade but I did manage to pass it to level 2 standard. science is my passion and I feel like I have hit a dead end.
TMWEe
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
I would not advise you to do science because it only gets harder at level 3 and it will be overwhelming especially if you were not so good at it at GCSE level. This is from personal experience and I got a C in GCSE science and I passed maths and English. I then took a Btw. In applied science level 3 at my previous sixth form and I failed the entry test but the teachers did not kick me out the course. I ended up failing all of the units that I did and left the course having wasted a whole year. I’m now at another sixth form. Now with your situation I would suggest you retake maths and get a grade 4 which is a requirement for most unis and jobs. You seemed to have struggled with Level 2 business as well so I’m not sure you can progress to level 3 unless you retake it. So focus on passing maths then maybe get a trade or an apprenticeship. But do not take science as you don’t have the capability/ grades to get through it.
saira14
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 weeks ago
(Original post by TMWEe)
I would not advise you to do science because it only gets harder at level 3 and it will be overwhelming especially if you were not so good at it at GCSE level. This is from personal experience and I got a C in GCSE science and I passed maths and English. I then took a Btw. In applied science level 3 at my previous sixth form and I failed the entry test but the teachers did not kick me out the course. I ended up failing all of the units that I did and left the course having wasted a whole year. I’m now at another sixth form. Now with your situation I would suggest you retake maths and get a grade 4 which is a requirement for most unis and jobs. You seemed to have struggled with Level 2 business as well so I’m not sure you can progress to level 3 unless you retake it. So focus on passing maths then maybe get a trade or an apprenticeship. But do not take science as you don’t have the capability/ grades to get through it.
Hi thanks so much for your reply. I have a few questions and would be really grateful if you could answer.

When you did the L3 Btec in science which of the sciences included a lot of math. I'M aware physics is the most math based but was wondering if there is any in the other two.
How much maths is in physics? Is every lesson mathematical based or some?
After reading what you have written I think you are right, and Science is maybe not the subject for me however I am asking for future incase maybe next year I take it after passing maths.
TMWEe
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
Physics contained a lot of maths and biology contained a little bit. Chemistry also contains quite a bit of maths as you have to balance equations and do calculations. So if you are not comfortable with your maths than you would struggle to pass this course. Honestly though if I were you I would consider getting an apprenticeship and maybe start from an Intermediate level as you do not seem to be naturally academic. I think you would benefit from vocational based learning which also allows you to earn a living wage alongside your studies. Most employers do pay a lot more than minimum wage. You can search vacancies at the gov.co.uk site for apprenticeships.
TMWEe
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
And not every lesson is mathematical based but most of it is
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top