Poll: Should this bill be made into law?
'As many as are of the opinion, aye' (25)
59.52%
'Of the contrary, no' (14)
33.33%
'Abstain' (3)
7.14%
This discussion is closed.
Andrew97
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
V1511 – Vagrancy Bill 2019, TSR Government

An Act to remove archaic laws that only serve to make lives of homeless people worse.

BE IT ENACTED by the Queen’s most Excellent Majesty, by and with the advice and consent of the Commons, in this present Parliament assembled, and by the authority of the same, as follows: —

PART I.
REPEAL OF VAGRANCY LEGISLATION

1. Vagrancy

(1) Removes The Vagrancy Act 1824 Sections 3-4.

(2) Removes The Licensing Act 1872 Section 12.

(3) Inserts into The Theft Act 1968 Section 5-

(6) Food items will not be considered to belong to a person if the original owner appears to have abandoned it.
(a) This shall not include waste on private property.

PART II.
COMMENCEMENT, SHORT TITLE AND EXTENT

2. Commencement

(1) This Act shall come into force on royal assent

3. Short Title

(1) This Act may be cited as the Vagrancy Act 2019

4. Devolution

(1) This Act extends to Great Britain and Northern Ireland

NotesCredit for this bill goes to the TSR Government of October 2017

1: Removes an archaic law that makes homelessness illegal. The original Act does this by making begging and sleeping in a public place illegal. In the last 10 years, this law has been used more and more to harass homeless people as down to looking homeless is often considered begging by the police who are under pressure to move homeless people along. Harassing begging would remain illegal under other Acts.

2: Removes the crime of being drunk in public. Note that drunk and disorderly would remain a crime under the Criminal Justice Act 1967. The charge of drunk in public is only now used to move people along who have had a drink and this is another law that is used predominantly against homeless people who are not being disorderly.

3. Changes the laws regarding theft so that food that has been abandoned (discarded, meaning that the original owner has no further use for the item) cannot be considered property.

Changes for second reading:
Waste on private property will still be considered to belong to the person or business owning the property. This would prevent homeless people from eating food from bins kept in/on peoples' homes and on sites maintained by supermarkets etc.
04MR17
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Mr Speaker, thank you for both of tonight's updates.
Andrew97
Rep:
?
(Original post by 04MR17)
Mr Speaker, thank you for both of tonight's updates.
haha. No idea why that sent twice. I should probably have paid attention to what I was doing rather than listening to a 12 year old BBC radio 4 Sitcom.
04MR17
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by Andrew97)
haha. No idea why that sent twice. I should probably have paid attention to what I was doing rather than listening to a 12 year old BBC radio 4 Sitcom.
That's okay, you clearly have taste.

An easy aye from me. And pleased to see a positive change made for division.
CatusStarbright
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
It's going to be a no I'm afraid. There is no need to add this pointless legislation pertaining to theft.
Andrew97
Rep:
?
The ayes to the right, 25
the Noes to the left, 14
Abstains, 3

The Ayes have it, the Ayes have it. Unlock!!
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Current uni students - are you thinking of dropping out of university?

Yes, I'm seriously considering dropping out (170)
14.74%
I'm not sure (53)
4.6%
No, I'm going to stick it out for now (339)
29.4%
I have already dropped out (34)
2.95%
I'm not a current university student (557)
48.31%

Watched Threads