annabel701
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
I`m going into year eleven, and this year I took my real English Literature GCSE, and got a 7 when I had got 9s in all my mocks, it is my dream to take english lit at A level, degree, then teach it, should I retake it this year with all my other GCSE exams. Also, the sixth form I am hoping to go to is quite competitive / needs good grades to get in to soooo....???
username4863238
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
depending on your other subjects, most good schools only require an A(7) to do the alevel... aim for 9's in your other subjects that you can get 9's in
999tigger
Badges: 19
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by annabel701)
I`m going into year eleven, and this year I took my real English Literature GCSE, and got a 7 when I had got 9s in all my mocks, it is my dream to take english lit at A level, degree, then teach it, should I retake it this year with all my other GCSE exams. Also, the sixth form I am hoping to go to is quite competitive / needs good grades to get in to soooo....???
Talk to teacher in most cases a 6 is enough to do A level and then just aim for an A*.
Up to you whether you want to resit.
Check with target school if 6 uis enough. If you took it early then you must have gotten through a lot of work.
annabel701
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 week ago
(Original post by 999tigger)
Talk to teacher in most cases a 6 is enough to do A level and then just aim for an A*.
Up to you whether you want to resit.
Check with target school if 6 uis enough. If you took it early then you must have gotten through a lot of work.
thank you for your help, talked with school and they don't want me retaking, having the papers sent back to look at then we can decide if it will be worth a remark - let me know if your interested in what happens!
999tigger
Badges: 19
Report 1 week ago
thank you for your help, talked with school and they don't want me retaking, having the papers sent back to look at then we can decide if it will be worth a remark - let me know if your interested in what happens!
This is a month ago. Thats a lot of threads. A level will matter more. I was just telling you the options.
By all means retake if you need to for some sort of pride or feeling you underperformed massive injustice thing and can do so with minimal effort. Current GCSEs are more important and then A levels way more so. Seven will be fine as it lets you do A level.
Last edited by 999tigger; 1 week ago
Quick-use
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Definitely don't resit it. 7 is a great grade and GCSEs hardly matter in comparison to your A level and degree grades.
Cleisthenes
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Don’t worry a 7 is still a very good grade. It is very unlikely any sixth form college or uni will pay much attention. A levels are way more important, and it sounds like it’s your passion so you should do well at A level.
I know how painful it is to do worse than expected in the subject you love. I am in a similar situation to yours, but with ancient history. It’s a subject I’ve always loved and got top grades in. I even got an offer from oxford to read classical archeology and ancient history. Then I screwed up one of my A level ancient history papers and got a B, which meant I missed the oxford offer. But the key thing is that your grades in a subject you love, and even the uni you study it at, don’t matter if you love the subject that much.
Final note: it is possible to be too passionate about a subject for A level: two of the main reasons I got a B was because a) I spent too much time on a question that I thought was really interesting, and b) I put in facts from outside the syllabus which the examiner marked wrong (they weren’t wrong). So tailor everything to what the exam board is looking for, even if it seems like you’re not exploring an issue well enough: quite often they want the bare minimum, and going too much above that can harm your grade.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of Surrey
    Postgraduate Open Afternoon Postgraduate
    Wed, 23 Oct '19
  • University of Bristol
    Undergraduate Open Afternoon Undergraduate
    Wed, 23 Oct '19
  • University of Exeter
    Undergraduate Open Day - Penryn Campus Undergraduate
    Wed, 23 Oct '19

Would you turn to a teacher if you were being bullied?

Yes (38)
26.39%
No (106)
73.61%

Watched Threads