lcrabt21
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
I was doing some (last minute) summer holiday homework in the form of tests to prepare for my chemistry class next year and I stumbled upon a question which I have really been struggling over and I was wondering if there was anyone that could help?
The question is:
“Would you classify germanium as a metal or a non-metal? Give your reasons.”
As I delved deeper into research I learnt it’s actually a metalloid displaying properties of both metals and non-metals but could not find anything to actually write that would be suitable without writing paragraphs. This is a gcse practice question so I do not believe I am supposed to write about metalloids and over complicate it, so would anyone be able to help me with a 3 mark answer to this question?
MexicanKeith
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by lcrabt21)
I was doing some (last minute) summer holiday homework in the form of tests to prepare for my chemistry class next year and I stumbled upon a question which I have really been struggling over and I was wondering if there was anyone that could help?
The question is:
“Would you classify germanium as a metal or a non-metal? Give your reasons.”
As I delved deeper into research I learnt it’s actually a metalloid displaying properties of both metals and non-metals but could not find anything to actually write that would be suitable without writing paragraphs. This is a gcse practice question so I do not believe I am supposed to write about metalloids and over complicate it, so would anyone be able to help me with a 3 mark answer to this question?
There is no straight forward 'three mark answer'
If I were asked is germanium a metal or a non-metal I would answer: no, neither, sometimes its chemistry is more like that of Tin (ie metallic) and sometimes more like that of silicion (ie non metallic).
A bit of a trick question, in reality you could choose metal or non metal and select properties to back up your choice
DraconisAudiat
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
It's like "Is a mushroom a plant or an animal" the correct answer is "No, it is neither a plant nor an animal"

It's a metalloid, it has properties similar to both and somewhere in between.
What they really want you to do is describe it's properties, state which ones are metal-like and why, state which ones are non-metal-like and why, then conclude that it's neither a metal nor a non-metal it's a metalloid.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What support do you need with your UCAS application?

I need help researching unis (21)
14.69%
I need help researching courses (8)
5.59%
I need help with filling out the application form (7)
4.9%
I need help with my personal statement (58)
40.56%
I need help with understanding how to make my application stand out (36)
25.17%
I need help with something else (let us know in the thread!) (3)
2.1%
I'm feeling confident about my application and don't need any help at the moment (10)
6.99%

Watched Threads