Struggling with self love

Watch
Art20
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
I’ve been quite down for a few months lately and I think it’s down to not loving myself and having really low self esteem. I constantly compare my looks to every model I see on Instagram or my friends or person I see on the street and I have no idea how to stop ! I don’t know what to do! How do I start loving myself and stop comparing myself to others???
Xenobee
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
One thing you could try would be spending less time on social media where people are posting curated versions of their life, with filters and other nonsense. Another thing you could try, which is hard but can be really helpful for some people, is every morning, look in the mirror and say something nice about yourself, this could take you a long time to say something nice about yourself but stay there until you do, and everyday try and think of more or different compliments
HGS345
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by Art20)
I’ve been quite down for a few months lately and I think it’s down to not loving myself and having really low self esteem. I constantly compare my looks to every model I see on Instagram or my friends or person I see on the street and I have no idea how to stop ! I don’t know what to do! How do I start loving myself and stop comparing myself to others???
Well you need to start with a reality check. 99% of those instagram models are fake. They spend hours putting on tons of make up, working with lighting, and photoshopping to creating the perfect picture. These people look average in real life. Many of these people, especially couples, will post pictures together and give the impression that they're having an amazing life together, when in reality, many of these relationships are crumbling, and in some instances, there is a lot of abuse going on.

Also, everyone has their own insecurities. If you were better looking, you would still find something to be insecure about. This is human nature. Just live your life the best you can and stop worrying about what others look like, it's not going to change your situation.

Focus on your good qualities and how you can use them to create meaning in your life. Fine something you're good at, and think about how society can benefit from it. That will help you build your self worth. Looks die, but your contributions to society live on forever.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Which of these would you use to help with making uni decisions?

Webinars (31)
13.84%
Virtual campus tours/open days (50)
22.32%
Live streaming events (21)
9.38%
Online AMAs/guest lectures (21)
9.38%
A uni comparison tool (51)
22.77%
An in-person event when available (50)
22.32%