Azimbrook1
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
I HATE/ AM REALLY BAD at essay based subjects (english,sociology ect.) and Im well aware that psychology has essays in it. But the content may be really interesting (which is why Im considering it). Should I do psychology

note: I hated GCSE sociology due to the 12 mark essays
kawaii sashimi
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by Azimbrook1)
I HATE/ AM REALLY BAD at essay based subjects (english,sociology ect.) and Im well aware that psychology has essays in it. But the content may be really interesting (which is why Im considering it). Should I do psychology

note: I hated GCSE sociology due to the 12 mark essays
there's a hell of a lot worse than 12 mark essays in a-level psychology. I didn't do a-level psychology but did do a-level sociology ( we had 40 markers there , but with psych its usually less). you will learn how to write properly to answer the questions though and there are case studies to remember, some biology and research methods stuff too.

tbh, if you like the content enough, then you will be absolutely fine with the essay writing, as long as you put in effort and ask for help when you need it - a lot of my class dropped out in the first week after hearing of the essay writing (I hated it too) but those that loved the content enough stayed (they found it interesting), eventually built their way up to finding the essays manageable and not too bad, including me. for context - my class doing sociology and the psych students as well, all started off with getting u and d's in essays, and then eventually worked our ways up to A and B grade writing, so Ik it's possible. I would recommend talking to your future psychology teacher about your concerns - they'll give u the best idea on whether or not u should it. finally the last thing is that you know urself the best - do you think you'd love the subject enough to do improve in essay writing and will u be putting in the effort?

I hope you find the answer you're looking for! x
Azimbrook1
Rep:
?
(Original post by kawaii sashimi)
there's a hell of a lot worse than 12 mark essays in a-level psychology. I didn't do a-level psychology but did do a-level sociology ( we had 40 markers there , but with psych its usually less). you will learn how to write properly to answer the questions though and there are case studies to remember, some biology and research methods stuff too.

tbh, if you like the content enough, then you will be absolutely fine with the essay writing, as long as you put in effort and ask for help when you need it - a lot of my class dropped out in the first week after hearing of the essay writing (I hated it too) but those that loved the content enough stayed (they found it interesting), eventually built their way up to finding the essays manageable and not too bad, including me. for context - my class doing sociology and the psych students as well, all started off with getting u and d's in essays, and then eventually worked our ways up to A and B grade writing, so Ik it's possible. I would recommend talking to your future psychology teacher about your concerns - they'll give u the best idea on whether or not u should it. finally the last thing is that you know urself the best - do you think you'd love the subject enough to do improve in essay writing and will u be putting in the effort?

Are you sure its possible for someone like me? I got an 8 in maths and physics but a 5 in english lang and lit,also in sociology, I would ALWAYS run out of time, thats because theres no right or wrong answer,theres too much freedom.is psychology like that? the problem is that have aspergers syndrome (im v.high functioning) which means I find it really difficult to explain myself.

for refrence, im doing physics,maths and maybe psychology
Last edited by Azimbrook1; 1 year ago
Azimbrook1
Rep:
?
(Original post by kawaii sashimi)

BTW are you talking about new spec?
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Current uni students - are you thinking of dropping out of university?

Yes, I'm seriously considering dropping out (163)
14.54%
I'm not sure (51)
4.55%
No, I'm going to stick it out for now (330)
29.44%
I have already dropped out (33)
2.94%
I'm not a current university student (544)
48.53%

Watched Threads