The law is being upheld in Hong Kong. This is apparently really alarming news. Watch

AngeryPenguin
Badges: 18
Report Thread starter 2 weeks ago
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-china-49520025
josh75
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
You know what im usually not infavour of British colonialism, but I think in this instance we shouldn't have given this colony back. We should have just done a gaum and kept it, China literally has work camps ffs.
Napp
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
(Original post by josh75)
You know what im usually not infavour of British colonialism, but I think in this instance we shouldn't have given this colony back. We should have just done a gaum and kept it, China literally has work camps ffs.
They also have a military that could, even then, squash Britains like a bug...
and re-education camps
josh75
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
(Original post by Napp)
and re-education camps
they wouldnt risk it we are too close to the US, and even then wouldnt be squashed like a bug, no of soldiers =/= military power its just a factor in calculating it.
retajalshafeii
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
(Original post by Napp)
and re-education camps
Keep in mind Britain has a crap ton of allies all over the world that would go hAYwire on China’s ass if it attacked Britain.
Jang Gwangnam
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
Not sure what course this protest will take, but I know one thing for certain is that China won't hold back. They are already hitting the minority Uighur Muslims and tried an attempt at hitting Homosexuals (which turned out against them due to online Weibo social outcry). Unlike the aforementioned matters, Hong Kong is more of a source of income & prosperity for the government, so they will definitely hit harder.

Plus Hong Kong is inevitably a part of Chinese land and therefore will have to bend to Chinese rule eventually. Right now China should make more of an attempt at synchronising the chinese culture through the youth - or in other words brainwash the youth into becoming nationalistic - in order to gain success imo.

@me if I'm wrong but that's my two cents on the matter.
Napp
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
(Original post by retajalshafeii)
Keep in mind Britain has a crap ton of allies all over the world that would go hAYwire on China’s ass if it attacked Britain.
Possibly but this wouldn’t have been attacking Britain so much as Britain violating a treaty obligation which, under international law, would have enabled China to use force.
Never mind the fact I seriously doubt many countries would come to the aid of Britain for refusing to give up a colony
Napp
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
they wouldnt risk it we are too close to the US, and even then wouldnt be squashed like a bug, no of soldiers =/= military power its just a factor in calculating it.
Want a bet? The US might have offered tacit assistance to the uk but they wouldn’t have risked war with China because of a **** up by Britain - especially as they were trying to engage China at that point
Let me put it this way, Britain has limited projection power and Hong king is a stones through away from the mainland, there wouldn’t have been a hope in hell of defending it.
A mixture of China’s exploding economy, sheer force of numbers, home field advantage and of course the fact our military was a shell at that point would have made that fight completely unwinnable - just like the night of The US and her allies couldn’t beat China in Korea or in Vietnam Hong king would have been little different. Numbers tend to help a lot
999tigger
Badges: 19
Report 2 weeks ago
Yes you would say that as a Chinese government schill.
Down with democracy, up with communism, down with civil liberties.

Always good to know there are people like you willing to re educate people. Will you be driving one of the tanks as well?
Underscore__
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
I could be wrong, but I would bet you are opposed to the detention and deportation of illegal immigrants in the US. I would hope you’re opposed to the imprisonment of women who are raped.
Last edited by Underscore__; 2 weeks ago
Baron of Sealand
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
The law is being upheld?

How about the law that says the police must show their number? That they should show their ID when asked?

How about the international law that says medical staff are not to be attacked? That medical help shouldn't be delayed?

How about the Basic Law which guarantees the right to protest? How come the police is banning them?

And what laws say the police could arrest people for carrying asthma medication? Laser pens? Which one says the police could torture detainees?
Rakas21
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
What is happening in Hong Kong is a terrible shame. After creating a territory that Friedman considered the greatest example of capitalism in action and having left it as a market democracy we have seen the erosion of that political liberty with Hong Kong no longer being a truly free territory (China approves the parties that can run) and now a further encroachment, a few laws at a time.

It really is incredibly difficult to find a solution here (though I am saddened that folk like yourself support the Chinese government) because China is too powerful to realistically contest.

In my personal opinion I would be minded to offer anybody born in Hong Kong pre-handover and aged less than 50 British citizenship (and their children to a maximum of three). They would have to be spread between 2020 and 2030 and sacrifice their Hong Kong citizenship but it means that if they seek to live in a market democracy they can and it also satisfies our responsibility to them. Once we reach 2030 we would then withdraw any further responsibility which realistically we could never enforce anyway.
Unfortunately Napp is correct. The geographical position of Hong Kong is not like Taiwan for example where China would need to deploy its navy. In Hong Kong they can literally drive their tanks to the city.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top

What's your favourite genre?

Rock (190)
24.05%
Pop (192)
24.3%
Jazz (30)