Alayna1234
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
basically I decided to take a year out and resit and decided I’ll leave cancelling my place at Royal Holloway after I sort everything out but I just went on ucas and my withdraw option is gone???

My course starts on 23rd Sep.

I don’t know what to do??? Someone I know says they’re on locked contract with their uni??? Wtf is that?????

Does this mean I can’t reject my uni?????

I got in through clearing btw
CoolCavy
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Royal Holloway, University of London

Have moved this to clearing applications and ucas for you
Alayna1234
Rep:
?
Thank you
Alayna1234
Rep:
?
Bump
HGS345
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by Alayna1234)
basically I decided to take a year out and resit and decided I’ll leave cancelling my place at Royal Holloway after I sort everything out but I just went on ucas and my withdraw option is gone???

My course starts on 23rd Sep.

I don’t know what to do??? Someone I know says they’re on locked contract with their uni??? Wtf is that?????

Does this mean I can’t reject my uni?????

I got in through clearing btw
Why have you decided you want to resit, does your future plans require you to need to resit? What degree do you want to do?
Alayna1234
Rep:
?
(Original post by HGS345)
Why have you decided you want to resit, does your future plans require you to need to resit? What degree do you want to do?
Got bad levels. Yes they they do. Want to do med in general but aiming for bioscience or pharmacy

Point is I know I’m gonna take a year out and resit.

I’m just stressed about this now, I think I can now only withdraw my application via the university.

It’s not like they can force me to go to uni lol
HGS345
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Got bad levels. Yes they they do. Want to do med in general but aiming for bioscience or pharmacy

Point is I know I’m gonna take a year out and resit.

I’m just stressed about this now, I think I can now only withdraw my application via the university.

It’s not like they can force me to go to uni lol
So if you got the grades for Medicine, would you apply for it? Meaning, are you aiming for bioscience or pharmacy because you don't think you'll get the grades for Medicine, or are you aiming for Graduate Entry Medicine?

If you don't mind me asking, what grades did you get and in what subjects? I ask so I can get a realistic understanding of where you're at with your goals.

I know it's easy to say, but don't stress. Getting stressed isn't going to make your situation better nor will it make it worse. What I suggest is that, if you really want to take a year out, then speak to the university as soon possible.
Alayna1234
Rep:
?
So if you got the grades for Medicine, would you apply for it? Meaning, are you aiming for bioscience or pharmacy because you don't think you'll get the grades for Medicine, or are you aiming for Graduate Entry Medicine?

If you don't mind me asking, what grades did you get and in what subjects? I ask so I can get a realistic understanding of where you're at with your goals.

I know it's easy to say, but don't stress. Getting stressed isn't going to make your situation better nor will it make it worse. What I suggest is that, if you really want to take a year out, then speak to the university as soon possible.
Resit policies are strict with med so I am aiming for grad med.

I did quite bad because of extenuating circumstances let’s just say.

Yh I’m gonna speak with my uni either tomorrow if they’re open or on Monday. They can’t force me to go to their uni right lol??????
Pankocrustedpen
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
The best thing you can probably do is call Royal Holloway!
HGS345
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Resit policies are strict with med so I am aiming for grad med.

I did quite bad because of extenuating circumstances let’s just say.

Yh I’m gonna speak with my uni either tomorrow if they’re open or on Monday. They can’t force me to go to their uni right lol??????
And have you contacted any medical schools to ask them whether or not your extenuating circumstances would allow you to resit? Also, have you checked the graduate entry requirements? GEM is tougher than the normal procedure.

What were you hoping to study at Royal Holloway?

They can't force you, but they can take £9,000 from you as if your seat is reserved for you, then someone else has lost out on a seat to study in. So best to speak to them as soon as possible.
Last edited by HGS345; 1 year ago
Alayna1234
Rep:
?
And have you contacted any medical schools to ask them whether or not your extenuating circumstances would allow you to resit? Also, have you checked the graduate entry requirements? GEM is tougher than the normal procedure.

They can't force you, but they can take £9,000 from you as if your seat is reserved for you, then someone else has lost out on a seat to study in. So best to speak to them as soon as possible.
They can’t take 9K from me???? They’re not allowed to take any payments until I attend
Alayna1234
Rep:
?

Im sorry but I don’t think you know much about this process if you think they’re just gonna take 9k from this......please if you don’t know enough about the situation don’t try to advise me or others, you’ll just lead others the wrong way.
HGS345
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
They can’t take 9K from me???? They’re not allowed to take any payments until I attend
Assuming they've already given you a seat (seeing as you can't reject them on UCAS), they can charge you based off that, if that makes sense? I'm not saying they definitely will, but I'm say they can. That's why you need to sort it out asap, as if they register you onto the system then you're basically 'attending'.
HGS345
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Im sorry but I don’t think you know much about this process if you think they’re just gonna take 9k from this......please if you don’t know enough about the situation don’t try to advise me or others, you’ll just lead others the wrong way.
Basically you have to register to get charged. Whether you register yourself or not, I don't know, as it depends on the university. But if your chosen university register you automatically, then it's the same thing as how I register. Once I've registered for the year, they will charge me for the year. If you have to register manually, and you don't, then they shouldn't charge you, but ask the university.
Alayna1234
Rep:
?
Assuming they've already given you a seat (seeing as you can't reject them on UCAS), they can charge you based off that, if that makes sense? I'm not saying they definitely will, but I'm say they can. That's why you need to sort it out asap, as if they register you onto the system then you're basically 'attending'.
No. They cant.

Firstly I can cancel my student finance loan so where are they gonna get this money from lol??

Also first scheduled payment is in October and that’s ONLY if my attendance is confirmed and sfe gets notice of that.

Considering I’m not going there, I won’t be showing up and cancelling my loan also next week, they can’t charge e 9k lmaoooo, maybe like £20 bc of the admission stuff but that’s it.

I’m sorry but clearly you don’t know enough about the system or how it works if this is the conclusion you’re coming up with. Like I said previously , I appreciate your efforts but if your advice is coming from flawed knowledge don’t spread it, it misleads others. You would’ve given other students here a heart attack if they had read ur comment and didn’t know the system properly.

Ps. Are you even getting loans? You lack knowledge when it comes to student finance loan? Are you a private student? Do you pay ur own tuition fees?
Last edited by Alayna1234; 1 year ago
Alayna1234
Rep:
?
Basically you have to register to get charged. Whether you register yourself or not, I don't know, as it depends on the university. But if your chosen university register you automatically, then it's the same thing as how I register. Once I've registered for the year, they will charge me for the year. If you have to register manually, and you don't, then they shouldn't charge you, but ask the university.
Fair enough if that’s second year but when ur enrolling into a course and it’s your first year, it doesn’t work like that.
HGS345
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Fair enough if that’s second year but when ur enrolling into a course and it’s your first year, it doesn’t work like that.
Students funded by Student Finance
All current students whose tuition fees are paid to the University by way of a Student Finance loan are calculated as follows (this includes postgraduate students who are entitled to Student Finance (e.g. PGCE students):

Withdrawal/suspension between 24/09/2018*– 13/01/2019 – 25% of the total fee will be charged
Withdrawal/suspension between 14/01/2019 – 28/04/2019 – 50% of the total fee will be charged
Withdrawal/suspension between 29/04/2019 – 07/06/2019 – 100% (ie the full tuition fee) will be charged

This is UoM policy, may differ for other universities.

Self financing students
For all self financing undergraduate & postgraduate students (except modular students) and irrespective of the rate of tuition fees being charged, tuition fees are charged on a daily basis up to and including the last date of attendance on the programme.

Refunds can only be made once the School/Faculty have issued an official last date of attendance and confirmed this on student’s record so it is visible by staff in the Student Services Centre. Once this has been done, the tuition fees will be recalculated and if the student has paid an amount greater than the new rate of tuition fees due, a refund will be made, by returning the funds to the same payee or account from which the payment was made.

It doesn't say anything about 1st year vs 2nd year.
Alayna1234
Rep:
?
Students funded by Student Finance
All current students whose tuition fees are paid to the University by way of a Student Finance loan are calculated as follows (this includes postgraduate students who are entitled to Student Finance (e.g. PGCE students):

Withdrawal/suspension between 24/09/2018*– 13/01/2019 – 25% of the total fee will be charged
Withdrawal/suspension between 14/01/2019 – 28/04/2019 – 50% of the total fee will be charged
Withdrawal/suspension between 29/04/2019 – 07/06/2019 – 100% (ie the full tuition fee) will be charged

Self financing students
For all self financing undergraduate & postgraduate students (except modular students) and irrespective of the rate of tuition fees being charged, tuition fees are charged on a daily basis up to and including the last date of attendance on the programme.

Refunds can only be made once the School/Faculty have issued an official last date of attendance and confirmed this on student’s record so it is visible by staff in the Student Services Centre. Once this has been done, the tuition fees will be recalculated and if the student has paid an amount greater than the new rate of tuition fees due, a refund will be made, by returning the funds to the same payee or account from which the payment was made.
All of this only counts when I actually ATTEND the university. (25% from 24/09/19 etc and even then it’s refundable)

From what I’ve seen I have 14 working days and it’s only been 11.

I havenr started the university at all. I’m still 4 weeks away from starting my course.

Also be aware that clearing is open until mid October so that means when I reject my place that place is still open for any students that call in for clearing.
Alayna1234
Rep:
?
[QUOTE=HGS345;85036890]Students funded by Student Finance

Self financing students
For all self financing undergraduate

Notice how it says between 24/09 and 13/01... this is assuming you have started the course and confirmed ur attendance
HGS345
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Notice how it says between 24/09 and 13/01.....it only applies when you start the course and confirm your attendance
I know, but this is UoM policy, and was just an example. Your university may differ so that's why you need to check their specific policies. Though I'm sure there's someone on TSR that knows about the different policies for different universities.

If you know your university can't take money from you if you don't register, then why are you getting so stressed out? Even if you can't cancel, just don't register and don't attend.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Poll: What factors affect your mental health most right now? Post-lockdown edition

Anxiousness about restrictions easing (48)
5.94%
Uncertainty around my education (92)
11.39%
Uncertainty around my future career prospects (83)
10.27%
Lack of purpose or motivation (103)
12.75%
Lack of support system (eg. teachers, counsellors, delays in care) (40)
4.95%
Impact lockdown had on physical health (45)
5.57%
Social worries (incl. loneliness/making friends) (89)
11.01%
Financial worries (54)
6.68%
Concern about myself or my loves ones getting/having been ill (37)
4.58%
Exposure to negative news/social media (51)
6.31%
Difficulty accessing real life entertainment (25)
3.09%
Lack of confidence in making big life decisions (77)
9.53%
Worry about missed opportunities during the pandemic (64)
7.92%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise