The Student Room Group

No more training contracts?

I've been looking at the new SQE scheme set by the SRA starting from 2021 and it seems that all you need is 2 years experience working as a paralegal or just a placement https://www.sra.org.uk/sra/policy/sqe/solicitor-persona/.

Does this mean no more needing to worry about attaining a training contract?
Reply 1
but isn't the main point of a TC to qualify as solicitor? Could you not just apply for soliciting positions after gaining the qualifications without the TC?
You still need 2 years of QWE. Practically, this means that firms are gonna hire you 2 years to train you and give you 2 years of QWE.

There is some flexibility; the training can come from several periods of training. You could do a 3-month WE x8 to meet the QWE requirements. I think this would make life harder, however.

Firms can currently write off part of the time you've spent as a paralegal or an adviser at CAB. The issue is they don't want to because they don't usually see such experience as equivalent to the experience you get on a TC. Hence, it is not clear how much difference the QWE route is going to make in practice.
Reply 3
I understand that part. TC will still be a thing as firms want to train you up before making you a full solicitor at their firm. I'm just asking that with the new SQE course the SRA is bringing out, no longer would you need a TC to be able to qualify as a solicitor. Is that correct?
Reply 4
Original post by Notoriety
You still need 2 years of QWE. Practically, this means that firms are gonna hire you 2 years to train you and give you 2 years of QWE.

There is some flexibility; the training can come from several periods of training. You could do a 3-month WE x8 to meet the QWE requirements. I think this would make life harder, however.

Firms can currently write off part of the time you've spent as a paralegal or an adviser at CAB. The issue is they don't want to because they don't usually see such experience as equivalent to the experience you get on a TC. Hence, it is not clear how much difference the QWE route is going to make in practice.

Does the work experience have to be at a firm? What if I work as a paralegal at a legal department in some company?
Original post by creedz98
Does the work experience have to be at a firm? What if I work as a paralegal at a legal department in some company?

It counts.

1. Current system. One firm is in charge of your training. They look after you for 2 years. But they can sign off 6 months of previous experience.

2. New system. You can have 4 providers train you. Each provider can sign off on the experience you've had with them.

The difference between the new and old: under the old, you could spend 6 months at CAB and then a firm could refuse to recognise this previous experience and hence refuse to sign off on it; under the new system, a solicitor at CAB can sign off the experience you've had there.
(edited 4 years ago)
I've rewritten the above post about 8 times -- and I hope you can understand it.
(edited 4 years ago)
I agree. People need to be careful not to be led up the garden path in thinking in a brave new world their paralegal work at 4 places over a few years which might well get them qualified but may not get them hired after they qualified.

However the short answer is yes you will be able to qualify that way and for some that is the bigger hurdle. Once qualified they might well get a low paid qualified job and keep changing jobs and doing better and better (if they are good) or even set up on their own after 5 years and do extremely well.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending