LDS Will See You Now- A First Year Medical Student GYG Watch

L.D.S.
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago

:party: :hi: Hey guys!! :hi: :party:

I finally got myself a morning off from doing stuff, so I thought I'd sort out this year's GYG blog. I'm planning to put a lot more effort into it this year, with (hopefully?) more interesting updates please hold me accountable if my commitment to this blog starts to slip

The Backstory

Spoiler:
Show

After I finished A Levels first time round I achieved ABD in Psychology, Biology and Chemistry respectively. Needless to say these grades weren't good enough for medicine and I was absolutely gutted and at a loss of what to do with myself

Fast forward a year, I resat my Biology and Chemistry exams and had (mostly) been working full-time as a care assistant. I also had an offer for medical school, which I didn't have the first time. I got AAA this year and got into Sheffield medical school, and am still pretty overwhelmed about that :lol:

In a few weeks I'll be moving up to Sheffield :afraid: and will embark on my journey to become a doctor. I know it's a long way off but the current specialties that interest me the most are Neurology and Emergency Medicine, but I'm open and interested in a lot of other ones :yep:

I won't post any of my other stats here but if you're interested feel free to ask

Also, you can find my previous GYG blog here

The Plan

Spoiler:
Show

I guess the main plan is for me to pass medical school without having to resit any years or getting kicked off the course :rofl: seriously though, this year has taught me the value of working hard to get what you want, and I don't want to waste this opportunity. I'm really determined to do well and be the best person I can be, and I'm sure with everyone's amazing support I can

I want to join different societies and learn new things too. I've been doing a little bit of Spanish recently so might continue with that? :dontknow: I want to take up a new sport as well but haven't decided yet suggestions welcome

Other Stuff

Spoiler:
Show

Just some random stuff:
-I'm going to see Lana next February!!! I'm so excited :nutcase:
-Planning to start driving lessons once I've settled into uni- watch out Sheffield
-The care home I work at have managed to make an exception for me to come back as bank staff in-between my semesters! I'm glad I'm not leaving just yet, unsure how long I'll be able to keep it up though
-I like to draw as a hobby and used to play the guitar and piano. I'd like to do more of this again and maybe create my own music :confused: ... will update this soon

LDS's Official Handovers

Spoiler:
Show

Decided to call my 'official' updates my handovers :laugh: I know, amazing idea Will update this with a list of links to each post when they start.

Official Handover #1- 18/9/19

Official Handover #2- 29/09/19

LDS's Favourite Patients

And that's a wrap! Don't know if I'll be updating this much until I move up as all I'm doing is working my notice at work and doing stuff to get ready for university. Either way I hope you'll follow me on my crazy, long and hopefully fun journey to be a doctor. Love you guys! :heart:

LDS

PS special thank you to Oxford Mum and I AM GROOT 1 for helping with name suggestions for the GYG
Last edited by L.D.S.; 2 weeks ago
nyxnko_
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Best of luck with this year! :rave: Would love to stay tagged!
L.D.S.
Rep:
?
(Original post by nyxnko_)
Best of luck with this year! :rave: Would love to stay tagged!
Thank you! Thanks for your support
squeakysquirrel
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by L.D.S.)

I finally got myself a morning off from doing stuff, so I thought I'd sort out this year's GYG blog. I'm planning to put a lot more effort into it this year, with (hopefully?) more interesting updates please hold me accountable if my commitment to this blog starts to slip

The Backstory

Spoiler:
Show

After I finished A Levels first time round I achieved ABD in Psychology, Biology and Chemistry respectively. Needless to say these grades weren't good enough for medicine and I was absolutely gutted and at a loss of what to do with myself

Fast forward a year, I resat my Biology and Chemistry exams and had (mostly) been working full-time as a care assistant. I also had an offer for medical school, which I didn't have the first time. I got AAA this year and got into Sheffield medical school, and am still pretty overwhelmed about that :lol:

In a few weeks I'll be moving up to Sheffield :afraid: and will embark on my journey to become a doctor. I know it's a long way off but the current specialties that interest me the most are Neurology and Emergency Medicine, but I'm open and interested in a lot of other ones :yep:

I won't post any of my other stats here but if you're interested feel free to ask

The Plan

Spoiler:
Show

I guess the main plan is for me to pass medical school without having to resit any years or getting kicked off the course :rofl: seriously though, this year has taught me the value of working hard to get what you want, and I don't want to waste this opportunity. I'm really determined to do well and be the best person I can be, and I'm sure with everyone's amazing support I can

I want to join different societies and learn new things too. I've been doing a little bit of Spanish recently so might continue with that? :dontknow: I want to take up a new sport as well but haven't decided yet suggestions welcome

Other Stuff

Spoiler:
Show

Just some random stuff:
-Planning to start driving lessons once I've settled into uni- watch out Sheffield
-The care home I work at have managed to make an exception for me to come back as bank staff in-between my semesters! I'm glad I'm not leaving just yet, unsure how long I'll be able to keep it up though
-I like to draw as a hobby and used to play the guitar and piano. I'd like to do more of this again and maybe create my own music :confused: ... will update this soon

LDS's Official Handovers

Spoiler:
Show

Decided to call my 'official' updates my handovers :laugh: I know, amazing idea Will update this with a list of links to each post when they start.

LDS's Favourite Patients

Spoiler:
Show

You know who you are! I'm tagging the same people as my last GYG, if you want to be added/removed from the list just let me know

FutureMissMRCS

CheeseIsVeg

amaraub

Aniqa-987

Revision guide

Inspiringvisons

nyxnko_

I AM GROOT 1

JoshDarnIt

sknudson

Ailurophile03

entertainmyfaith

Oxford Mum

ecolier

RazzzBerries

And that's a wrap! Don't know if I'll be updating this much until I move up as all I'm doing is working my notice at work and doing stuff to get ready for university. Either way I hope you'll follow me on my crazy, long and hopefully fun journey to be a doctor. Love you guys! :heart:

LDS

PS special thank you to Oxford Mum and I AM GROOT 1 for helping with name suggestions for the GYG
Good luck. Enjoy it. The training will be long. At times you will wonder why you are doing it. Sometimes patients will frustrate you. But there will be times when it is the most wonderful job. The gratitude of patients and their relatives. Remember you are part of a team and if you are lost... be it for words or ideas... just ask. Lastly listen to the nurses. Some of them know more than you will ever realise. They can be your friends when you are in need. Good luck.
Oxford Mum
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago

The Backstory

Spoiler:
Show

Also, you can find my previous GYG blog here

The Plan

Spoiler:
Show

Other Stuff

Spoiler:
Show

Just some random stuff:

LDS's Official Handovers

Spoiler:
Show

LDS's Favourite Patients

Spoiler:
Show

You know who you are! I'm tagging the same people as my last GYG, if you want to be added/removed from the list just let me know

FutureMissMRCS

CheeseIsVeg

amaraub

Aniqa-987

Revision guide

Inspiringvisons

nyxnko_

I AM GROOT 1

JoshDarnIt

sknudson

Ailurophile03

entertainmyfaith

Oxford Mum

ecolier

RazzzBerries

LDS

L.D.S. and you are our favourite doctor... you will not fail with those amazing study skills.

My son's fave subject is neurology, so we may end up speaking about that subject again.

Driving in Sheffield - I walk to and from home along Ecclesall Road, so will have to make sure you don't run me over!

Seriously you will be a great doctor. Can't wait till we start hearing how you get on at med school.
Obolinda
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Heyyy. Love the title 😂
jadarose
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
can you add me to the taglist pls? good luck!
L.D.S.
Rep:
?
(Original post by squeakysquirrel)
Good luck. Enjoy it. The training will be long. At times you will wonder why you are doing it. Sometimes patients will frustrate you. But there will be times when it is the most wonderful job. The gratitude of patients and their relatives. Remember you are part of a team and if you are lost... be it for words or ideas... just ask. Lastly listen to the nurses. Some of them know more than you will ever realise. They can be your friends when you are in need. Good luck.
Thank you for the advice Totally agree with the nurses part! I've already seen from my job how often the nurses know more about how the patient is feeling than the doctor's do and they provide really good insight. Thanks again
L.D.S.
Rep:
?
(Original post by Oxford Mum)
L.D.S. and you are our favourite doctor... you will not fail with those amazing study skills.

My son's fave subject is neurology, so we may end up speaking about that subject again.

Driving in Sheffield - I walk to and from home along Ecclesall Road, so will have to make sure you don't run me over!

Seriously you will be a great doctor. Can't wait till we start hearing how you get on at med school.
PRSOM

interesting, for my intercalated year I'm thinking of doing neuroscience.

That's not too far from where my accommodation is so yes, you'll have to be on high alert :rofl:

Ahh thank you :blushing: I can't wait to get started!
L.D.S.
Rep:
?
(Original post by Obolinda)
Heyyy. Love the title 😂
:hi: thank you :lol: shall I add you to the tag list?
L.D.S.
Rep:
?
(Original post by jadarose)
can you add me to the taglist pls? good luck!
Sure! Thanks
Oxford Mum
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
By the way, there is a great neuroscience centre in Sheffield called sitran. My son worked there in two summer holidays. Maybe that’s something you can also apply to in future
RazzzBerries
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Genius title :rofl:

Can't wait for this broski, keep me taggled! :cube:
L.D.S.
Rep:
?
By the way, there is a great neuroscience centre in Sheffield called sitran. My son worked there in two summer holidays. Maybe that’s something you can also apply to in future
I’ve seen that, think I brought that up in my interview actually! It looks very promising
L.D.S.
Rep:
?
(Original post by RazzzBerries)
Genius title :rofl:

Can't wait for this broski, keep me taggled! :cube:
PRSOM

:lol: Thanks Razzz, will do :hugs:
Oxford Mum
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
I’ve seen that, think I brought that up in my interview actually! It looks very promising
The person who runs it, Dame Pamela, is in charge of the whole Sheffield med school.
L.D.S.
Rep:
?
The person who runs it, Dame Pamela, is in charge of the whole Sheffield med school.
:eek: hopefully the neuro modules will be good then
MidgetFever
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Good luck! You'll love Sheffield, it's a lovely little city
DGeorge13
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Hi. Last year I read through your blogs and the thing that struck me was your sheer determination to succeed despite the obstacles. I’m so glad you made it and am sure you’ll be great. Can you add me to the tag list?
L.D.S.
Rep:
?
(Original post by MidgetFever)
Good luck! You'll love Sheffield, it's a lovely little city
Thanks it looks great, really looking forward to exploring the Peak District too
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you made up your mind on your five uni choices?

Yes I know where I'm applying (101)
67.79%
No I haven't decided yet (28)
18.79%
Yes but I might change my mind (20)
13.42%

Watched Threads