student27170102
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
Hi guys,

I didn't do very well in the UCAT, i got 570 average and band 2 so i don't think i can secure a place for dentistry.
Is it worth still applying to redbrick universities?
Also, is 650 considered a good score?

will appreciate any advice
Maybemedschool
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by student27170102)
Hi guys,

I didn't do very well in the UCAT, i got 570 average and band 2 so i don't think i can secure a place for dentistry.

Yes 650 is a good score, id say apply to some ucat universities which use it moderately to less and also maybe do the BMAT and see what you get there
M.O.M
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Hi guys,

Hi there, why not post it on the "official" UCAT (formerly UKCAT) 2020 entry discussion thread for the "gurus" to help.
student27170102
Rep:
?
thank you.

How can i post it on the UCAT thread? I could not find it in the forums
Sorry im new to student room and haven't fully figured it out lol
Ellouisek19
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
thank you.

How can i post it on the UCAT thread? I could not find it in the forums
Sorry im new to student room and haven't fully figured it out lol
*MEGATHREAD* - The "Which Medical School Should I Apply To?" Uberthread [part 2] that is what it is called, and that is what I used for help
metalmay
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
did you get 570 or 650????
student27170102
Rep:
?
570 and band 2
metalmay
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
570 and band 2
Do you know for sure where you're applying ? also are you sitting the Bmat finally?
student27170102
Rep:
?
I am applying to Sheffield, Leeds, Manchester and Nottingham. So yess i will be doing the bmat
metalmay
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
I am applying to Sheffield, Leeds, Manchester and Nottingham. So yess i will be doing the bmat
ah that's great, does manchester accept lower ucat scores? correct me if I'm. wrong but I thought you needed a bit above average to secure an interview /place.??
Last edited by metalmay; 1 month ago
student27170102
Rep:
?
you are right but i am nott sure where else to apply as they all want a high score😣
Bilaal asif
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
I was also thinking to apply to sheffield but they prefer high ukcat scorers . I got only 2430 so I’m looking for univeristies that have low ukcat preference like bristol, univeristy of keele, cardiff univeristy and Uclan ( which doesn’t require ukcat)
metalmay
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Bilaal asif)
I was also thinking to apply to sheffield but they prefer high ukcat scorers . I got only 2430 so I’m looking for univeristies that have low ukcat preference like bristol, univeristy of keele, cardiff univeristy and Uclan ( which doesn’t require ukcat)
Birmingham doesn't put too much emphasis as well
clockwork30
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
I got exactly the same results in UKCAT as you two years ago. I can understand how you must feel. I was quite upset. But really, the best thing to do is get out of that 'panic' mode and think logically.

Not all universities place equal importance on entrance tests. Look around in different uni websites. Check how much they consider ucat as part of the application process. Then apply to the ones where you can show your other strengths that might bag you an interview.

In my case, I applied to both Bristol and Cardiff; both universities did not place as much importance on UCAT in 2018 (however, now it may be different). Instead, Bristol focused more on the personal statement which I knew was one of my application strengths. I managed to get an interview in Bristol during November and one in Cardiff during December. Im now going into second year at Bristol so yay!

Also, even if you don't manage to get a lot of, or in some cases, no interviews, the UCAT is not the only factor to consider. The MOST important thing about this year is getting those A Level grades. Because without them, whether or not you have a place doesn't matter at all.

Also don't worry if you don't get any offers. Chances are, if all goes well on Results day, you can call up Clearing in unis like King's, St Georges etc. to try and get in!

Cheer up and keep working hard! You will get in
Soohiiii
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
you are right but i am nott sure where else to apply as they all want a high score😣
Are you still thinking of applying to Manchester
student27170102
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 weeks ago
yes i am. i am hoping to get into sheffield as i am on a programme with them that allows me to get in with ABB and low ucat
enya83
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
Just did my UCAT today...
I got a score of 2310 and Band 2 in Situational judgement...
At GCSES i got 3 A* 5A and 2B

I wanted to apply for dentistry and i got work experience and already wrote my personal statement and A level predictions are AAA.
WHAT DO I NOW? DO I STILL APPLY?
Please i need advice now.
e.g what unis a list please.
student27170102
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 weeks ago
well i am still applying and if i dont get it i will take a gap year and redo my ucat then apply again. if you really want to do it then go for it
Soohiiii
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
(Original post by enya83)
Just did my UCAT today...
I got a score of 2310 and Band 2 in Situational judgement...
At GCSES i got 3 A* 5A and 2B

I wanted to apply for dentistry and i got work experience and already wrote my personal statement and A level predictions are AAA.
WHAT DO I NOW? DO I STILL APPLY?
Please i need advice now.
e.g what unis a list please.
Which unis where you thinking?
killuaXzoldyck
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
Hey peeps I got
620 avg and band 1 in sjt
is that good?
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of Surrey
    Postgraduate Open Afternoon Postgraduate
    Wed, 23 Oct '19
  • University of Bristol
    Undergraduate Open Afternoon Undergraduate
    Wed, 23 Oct '19
  • University of Exeter
    Undergraduate Open Day - Penryn Campus Undergraduate
    Wed, 23 Oct '19

Would you turn to a teacher if you were being bullied?

Yes (14)
22.95%
No (47)
77.05%

Watched Threads