The Student Room Group

A*, A*....C( A level grades)- Any shot at LSE for law?!!!

Hi guys, I received my alevel grades and surprisingly got a C in English literature which was supposed to be my strongest subject. Some of you might know that many people were awarded the wrong grades for english lit. I planned to take a gap year to apply to the London unis. However, do I stand a chance?!😭😭😭

Scroll to see replies

Stop being lazy and resit the subject you got a C in.
Reply 2
I also have various extenuating circumstances. Throughout my two years doing my alevels. I had several stressful immigration applications and at one point had the threat of deportation looming over my head. My dad became unemployed due to it and we got kicked out of our house and I gad to live with various people who weren't family. If the schools were aware of this would it nake any difference?
Reply 3
Original post by dobiyere
I also have various extenuating circumstances. Throughout my two years doing my alevels. I had several stressful immigration applications and at one point had the threat of deportation looming over my head. My dad became unemployed due to it and we got kicked out of our house and I gad to live with various people who weren't family. If the schools were aware of this would it nake any difference?

It could, but still resit it for your best chance.
If you thought the exams went better than the grade you'd got, could you consider a remark?
Reply 5
Original post by MediocreSince01
If you thought the exams went better than the grade you'd got, could you consider a remark?

give remark a shot and if It goes south i.e. less than B than resit. If you get B or higher just take A*A*B and reapply this year without resitting
Original post by 13rby
give remark a shot and if It goes south i.e. less than B than resit. If you get B or higher just take A*A*B and reapply this year without resitting

My thoughts - often better to avoid resitting if you can.
Remark or resit
Hi guys, I received my alevel grades and surprisingly got a C in English literature which was supposed to be my strongest subject. Some of you might know that many people were awarded the wrong grades for english lit. I planned to take a gap year to apply to the London unis. However, do I stand a chance?!😭😭😭

Which exam board is this?
If it is Edexcel, you can get the papers back digitally for free and get your teachers to review them before sending off for a marking review.
I sat English literature and have a found 2 of my essays could potentially get more marks and am going in for a review for an A. It is definitely worth a look!

You are clearly a strong candidate. I would suggest looking at getting EngLit remarked.
Yes, go with the remark asap. Nevertheless, what are your potential career plans? More context would be useful...
Reply 11
Original post by reading & stuff
Stop being lazy and resit the subject you got a C in.

Looooool i plan on resitting if the appeal is unsuccesful😁😂
Looooool i plan on resitting if the appeal is unsuccesful😁😂

Good. A*A*B or A are excellent grades.
Reply 13
Original post by 13rby

Yeah thats what I am hoping will happen. Only problem is I got a remark but although my marks went up by 13, its still a C cause the initial C was a low one supposedly and my english teacher wants to appeal but that can take up to 3 months😭
Reply 14
Yeah thats what I am hoping will happen. Only problem is I got a remark but although my marks went up by 13, its still a C cause the initial C was a low one supposedly and my english teacher wants to appeal but that can take up to 3 months😭

Resit
Reply 15
Original post by OMGitsEmeboz
Yes, go with the remark asap. Nevertheless, what are your potential career plans? More context would be useful...

Sorry should have given more info. Unfortunately, I went for a remark and although my marks went up by 13, it was still a C. Waiting to get my scripts back to assess if an appeal is worth the time and money. Otherwise, I might have to resit. However, the London unis are not very sympathetic to resits. In the future, I would like to become a corporate solicitor in one of the magic circle law firms😁
Reply 16
Original post by Anonymouspsych
You are clearly a strong candidate. I would suggest looking at getting EngLit remarked.

Yeah, I got a remark but because my C was initially very low. On one paper, I somehow got 20 out of 75. My marks went up by 13 but im currently still 4 marks off a B. My teacher once I get my scripts back might decide to go for a further appeal but this can take up to 3 months
Reply 17
Original post by barror1
Which exam board is this?
If it is Edexcel, you can get the papers back digitally for free and get your teachers to review them before sending off for a marking review.
I sat English literature and have a found 2 of my essays could potentially get more marks and am going in for a review for an A. It is definitely worth a look!

It was Aqa. Went for a remark was unsuccesful. Thinking of resitting or just going for a further appeal as I really dont feel like I deserved that grade. I have never even gotten a B in English in the last two years😭
Yeah, I got a remark but because my C was initially very low. On one paper, I somehow got 20 out of 75. My marks went up by 13 but im currently still 4 marks off a B. My teacher once I get my scripts back might decide to go for a further appeal but this can take up to 3 months

Have you tried contacting the universities and see if they would allow those grades. If not, you always have the option to resit
It was Aqa. Went for a remark was unsuccesful. Thinking of resitting or just going for a further appeal as I really dont feel like I deserved that grade. I have never even gotten a B in English in the last two years😭

Honestly, I think it is worth running all of your finances and seeing whether an appeal or a resit is more worth it.
Also, keep in mind that there is emergency government funding in place to keep students in education for another year in there are any extenuating circumstances. Contact your school and see if you can attend English lessons/ resit under this policy :redface:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending