3130 in UCAT with 2 weeks of prep. AMA! Watch

TashHounslow
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 months ago
Hi everyone!

I took my ucat today and fortunately, I was very happy with my results. I managed to get 3130 with just two weeks prep, if anyone wants to know how I prepared, what techniques I used or how hard I found each section, please ask.

Results:
VR - 740
DM - 690
QR - 830
AR - 870
SJT - Band 1
mathsatheart249
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 5 months ago
Please divulge! I would love to hear any tips you have. My UCAT is on 21st September.
aspiringbiomedic
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 5 months ago
(Original post by TashHounslow)
Hi everyone!

I took my ucat today and fortunately, I was very happy with my results. I managed to get 3130 with just two weeks prep, if anyone wants to know how I prepared, what techniques I used or how hard I found each section, please ask.

Results:
VR - 740
DM - 690
QR - 830
AR - 870
SJT - Band 1
How did you prepare and what techniques?
How long did you study for e.g. months?
How frequently did you study?

TashHounslow
Rep:
?
(Original post by aspiringbiomedic)
How did you prepare and what techniques?
How long did you study for e.g. months?
How frequently did you study?

So I studied basically everyday for two weeks. Most days I did around 3-4 hours.

I mainly used medify and the UCAT study guide (written by the writer of themedicblog.co.uk). I do have the 1250 UCAT question book but I only really read through the explanations of each section. I definitely recommend medify as it is a really useful bank of questions that are really similar to the actual test. I mainly used the ucat study guide to learn techniques for the exam (I think most techniques can be found on the blog).

I'll post a schedule of my prep in this thread later if it's useful.

General tips for each section:

QR:
- Practice with the calculator, this saved me so much time in the exam, definitely use the number pad on your keyboard and become familiar with the memory functions. I think I am actually faster with he UCAT calculator than my usual one now XD.
- Only read what you need to, don't look at the rest of the info until you've read the actual question, then look at the data (definitely glance to see if there are any discounts on certain days or something like that so you aren't caught out).

VR:
- Find the best way of reading the text. For true/false questions, I read the question first and then scanned for keywords to find the info I needed. For the other questions, I read the first paragraph, the first and last sentence of middle paragraphs and then the last paragraph. (this helped me get an idea of where the info is in the text so I could answer more quickly)
- However, there are so many ways of approaching vr that it is best to find the way that works for you. There is help with this on the medic blog
- maybe try practicing skimming articles that you are interested to practice reading the passage quickly.

DM:
- I didn't use too many techniques here, but I made sure I was drawing out tables correctly. It is always best for the questions where you have to match info to people (names, colours ages etc) to look for the numerical category (ages) if there is one, and base your table on that as it is the most efficient way of getting the answer.
- For any questions with venn diagrams, I drew the diagram as a read the question so I could just look for the right diagram straight away in the answers

AR:
- PRACTICE, this was my second weakest section at the start because I had done nothing like this before. You could use the scans (shape, color, arrangement/angle, number, size) acronym at the start of your prep to help you.
- The best way to improve in this section is to keep practicing it, I think I have done over 500 of these questions by now and eventually, the patterns just start to jump out at you. However, this didn't happen for me until the last few days before the exam

SJT:
- Read the GMC guidelines over and over, if you have more time than I did, I would even recommend to study it as you can easily refer to it when you are unsure of an answer
- again practice is key in this section since you start to recognise what to do in similar situations.
TashHounslow
Rep:
?
Please let me know if this is helpful:
Here's a rough schedule of the two weeks:

Day 1 - Mock test: I was already vaguely familiar with the test from reading through the 1250q book. So I used this to work out which sections were my weakest. (Your weakest section isn't always the one with your lowest score, it's best to calculate the percentage difference between your score and the average scores for each year)
2 Work on weakest subsection. Mine was QR at the start (got around 550 on the mock because of timing). So I read through the tactics in the study guide and picked out any that looked useful to me. Then I worked through a bunch of medify questions, to get used to the questions.
3 Same for next weakest (mine was AR) I also threw in 2-3 questions from QR so I kept revising what I had learned.
4 Same for next weakest. + QR and AR questions
5 Same for next weakest. I did SJT on this day, in addition to answering questions and looking at tactics, I also read through the GMC's medical quidelines. ( I ended up reading this whenever I had a spare 5 minutes so I became very familiar with it). + QR, AR, VR
6 Same for next weakest. + QR, AR, VR, SJT
7-8 Now I started to focus on timing, so I did a bunch of questions in each subtest under timed conditions. I also kept reading through tactics I could use.
9 Mini mocks in each subsection, after finishing each I looked at what had gone wrong, and how I potentially could fix it. (For example, in QR I read questions too quickly and often left out key information or in AR I kept running out of time.
10 UCAT official mock 2: I used these results to focus on weak subtests, I was scoring low in VR so I did around 2 hours of timed VR practice. It's good look at each section and see if there is a particular type of question in a subtest that is difficult for you and focus on that.
11 Medify mock: Same as day 10.
12 Ucat official mock 3. Same as day 10.The only section i didn't really practice in this time was DM as I always scored around 700.
13 Mediify mock. Same as day 10.
14 UCAT. Did 2-3 questions on each subtest in the morning to warm up. But didn't do any work a few hours before the exam.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of Hertfordshire
    All Subjects Undergraduate
    Sat, 22 Feb '20
  • Ravensbourne University London
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 22 Feb '20
  • Sheffield Hallam University
    Get into Teaching in South Yorkshire Undergraduate
    Wed, 26 Feb '20

People at uni: do initiations (like heavy drinking) put you off joining sports societies?

Yes (388)
67.24%
No (189)
32.76%

Watched Threads