Degree we go again: a distance learning blog Watch

claireestelle
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 weeks ago
So you might be wondering the context of my title so for my first post here's a bit of life/ education history (it's a bit long so strap in);

I was diagnosed as dyspraxic at 10 and got next to no support apart from extra time which I was too ashamed to use but I got
12 GCSEs A*-C and one D in English lit
So I decided i wanted to do nursing or biochem after GCSEs so thought , let's do three sciences and business for A level;
and well after years of coping without much help
My as levels were AEEE so I dropped physics and then got put into all the resits, my grandma also died in the summer between year 11 and 12, grandad got diagnosed with lung cancer between year 12 and 13 so everything got a bit much.

I applied to nursing in year 13 and unsurprisingly got 1 offer, got BEE so missed my offer and got into an 2 year Fdsc which would get me into nursing, I got a merit (66% in second year of a degree basically after getting diagnosed with dyslexia in my first year too and finally getting all the support I could need and not being ashamed anymore).

I then did 6 months of nursing and realised after all that it wasn't a career for me so there I was 21 dropped out and didn't know what to do so got a job in pharmacy as at the time there was no funding left I could have and I couldn't afford part time fees.

So to now just over 3 years later I quit my pharmacy job after being unhappy for a while and got a better paying office job I love.

I ve gotten a part time loan for tution from sfe as I m doing a stem degree in health science with open uni and although I could have gotten a credit transfer it wouldn't have been much for what I want to do so decided to have a fresh start.

So I m doing a 60 credit module sdk100 health and science to start with as I work 40 hours a week and plan to start studying properly tommorow as the module site opens mostly early before an October start.

Gosh that's a long one, any questions or if you want adding to a tag list then let me know
Last edited by claireestelle; 3 weeks ago
emilynxlan
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
Best of luck! :woo:
claireestelle
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 weeks ago
(Original post by emilynxlan)
Best of luck! :woo:
Thank you
04MR17
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
Always up for this.
Ain't no blog like a claireestelle blog. :yeah:
brainzistheword
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
All the best with this! Can’t wait to read your updates and follow your progress
claireestelle
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 weeks ago
(Original post by 04MR17)
Always up for this.
Ain't no blog like a claireestelle blog. :yeah:
(Original post by brainzistheword)
All the best with this! Can’t wait to read your updates and follow your progress
thank you both Planning to my first update to be this evening then weekly on sundays but will see how it goes.
claireestelle
Rep:
?
update 1

I’ve spoilered todays update in two sections because it’s a very long one, you’ll learn through this GYG writing concisely is one of my weakness from my learning difficulties.
Bit of an intro:

Spoiler:
Show
So OU organises everything in a module into weeks which are broken down into sections each with an estimated amount of time to get through so you follow along step by step and as this is an online module, you tick things off as you go along. So today I made a good dent into week one. This module has eight topics which cover different health related topics; the first one is infectious diseases which I’ve always found interesting.

OU say you should spending roughly 16 hours a week on a module but that’s an estimate and as I’m starting a month ahead and doing as much of the week as I can in a week (as some activities I have to do aren’t open yet so I’ll have to go back to them), hopefully I won’t need to do exactly 16 hours each week. My plan is to do most of my studying on Saturday and Sunday but with some flexibility and the aim to do half an hour a day on work days. I also hope to do the online tutorials; as I go along as I probably won’t be getting time off for the day schools.

I say flexibility because with specific learning difficulties after spending all of secondary school trying to make myself study like other people do and do hours at a time and use specific study methods which weren’t suited to me, I learnt previously at university that that isn’t the way to work positively with my brain so I m always going to be kind to myself especially because if I’m ever ill or tired my “symptoms” get worse and it’s harder to study.

Onto what I actually did today:

Spoiler:
Show
Firstly I downloaded a chrome studyblocker because my concentration isn’t the best so I want more incentive to make sure I don’t end up on random sites when I m studying, it’s pretty simple to use so I can just set it for an hour so I can only use OU’s site and then put my phone in a different room.

I did make a start on section 1 of this topic on Thursday because it was mostly things I’ve studied before so I’d made some quick notes on that already. Today, I got to the new information in section 1 which was emerging infectious diseases which I made notes on and also completed section 2 on the history of a couple of infectious diseases.I do all my notes on onenote .

My goal to have TMA 1 done a month before the deadline which is the second week of October might not be completely possible as it’s not all open to do yet including a couple of activities in section one and two.

I did manage to do about 11 marks worth out of the 100 marks for the first assignment and I’ve written on my academic wall planner so I can tick off the weeks as I complete them and done a rough study plan for the rest of the week.

Doing a fair bit of trial and error these first few weeks to see what works best for me around my job, my main hobbies are tsr and baking so it’s not something I feel that’s tricky to fit round work and study. It might be still doing as much of the household chores that I might struggle to get the hang of.
MidnightSymphony
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
Good luck!
claireestelle
Rep:
?
(Original post by MidnightSymphony)
Good luck!
thank you
Snufkin
Report 2 weeks ago
Subbing! Good luck Claire, the OU is great!
claireestelle
Rep:
?
update 2:
So this week has gone very well, i've covered much more than i expected since sunday so thought i'd update you all today and then on sunday i ll update with how the weekend's gone.

So this week I've finished all of week 1 and gotten through one section of week 2, i've covered lots on different pathogens such as bacteria and parasites and topics like malaria surprisingly some of which I've gone through after eating dinner and been fine. I managed to do half an hour a day at least either before or after work, it does feel that I can get through a study week on the planner is less than 16 hours but it could get harder. I've managed to avoid distractions mostly except a couple of times someone wanted to remind me I need a break. As you can see I have a pretty small desk but i think i've convinced her to sit and still have space to type.

Name:  69547997_366583187355388_746259660125765632_n.jpg
Views: 13
Size:  65.3 KB
one thing i'm getting used to is making notes from the material as I barely ever did notes from anything that wasn't lecture slides in my previous study.

I've got viruses and prions left to cover which I will get through this weekend and then onto some epidemiology and i m not sure if i ll get much more done than that, but will see how it goes. Hoping I can get some more of the TMA done too.

I figured out the other day, that if I can stay at least a month ahead and they upload the rest of the TMAs early apart from if activities and the actual end of module assessment if i don't take the holidays and assignment weeks I could manage to be done with this module by the end of march.
I have until just after christmas to decide if I want also do DE100 which is a psychology module which starts in january which if i keep this up i think i could do.
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
You managed to make a cat sit! Tell me your secret :eek3:

Glad to hear you feel on top and organised with how things have gone! :woo:
claireestelle
Rep:
?
(Original post by 8472)
You managed to make a cat sit! Tell me your secret :eek3:

Glad to hear you feel on top and organised with how things have gone! :woo:
honestly i just keep stroking her for a bit and she realises that i m not moving from where i am so sits down.
The_Lonely_Goatherd
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
Well done, sounds like you're doing incredibly so far Also impressed about getting your cat to sit still :eek:

Keep going :woo:

:hugs:
claireestelle
Rep:
?
(Original post by The_Lonely_Goatherd)
Well done, sounds like you're doing incredibly so far Also impressed about getting your cat to sit still :eek:

Keep going :woo:

:hugs:
thank you she'll never sit on my lap but she'll sit on my back when i m in bed or nicely next to me on furniture.
The_Lonely_Goatherd
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
(Original post by claireestelle)
thank you she'll never sit on my lap but she'll sit on my back when i m in bed or nicely next to me on furniture.
Awwww :gah: :moon:

Btw, everytime I see your thread title, I start singing 'Mamma Mia!' by ABBA :teehee:
claireestelle
Rep:
?
(Original post by The_Lonely_Goatherd)
Awwww :gah: :moon:

Btw, everytime I see your thread title, I start singing 'Mamma Mia!' by ABBA :teehee:
that's how i got the title idea
The_Lonely_Goatherd
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
(Original post by claireestelle)
that's how i got the title idea
:adore:
Paracosm
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
Subbing for this good luck!
Slowbro93
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
In to watch :love:
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top

Are you attending a Global Climate Strike?

Yes, I'm striking (19)
7.88%
No, but I wanted to/I support the cause (135)
56.02%
No (87)
36.1%

Watched Threads