Degree we go again: a distance learning blog Watch

studentnurse18
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 5 months ago
Following as I've also done OU modules and gained a DipHE (enough credits for an ordinary degree actually). Looking to complete to BA at some point. I'm currently a student nurse.
claireestelle
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 months ago
Update 3:

So continuing the positivity, I managed to do everything I set out to do, i finished the pathogens section and the epidemiology section.
Fortunately, there were a few maths activities and my basic maths skills at least are still up to scratch so that didn't take me long.

I seem to have worked out that doing 30-45 minutes then doing a chore then going back to studying seems to work very well for me at weekends, I've been sat in the kitchen rather than my office where I look at a wall as we have mostly french doors and a window on the wall so lots of natural light to help keep my energy up.
So so far I haven't gotten behind on chores and still fit in time to relax (including baking a big batch of brownies), the washing just seems to keep growing though.

There's now two sections left of topic 1 to do, all to do in week 3;I've started on one of them which is on water and health which involved some chemistry (which I got an E at a level but fortunately it seems to be going a bit better for me this time round) I've pretty much finished question 3 of my TMA so that's 25 marks done out of 100, there are 5 questions and question 2 I can't do much of till october when the module starts.
I'm working next saturday morning so my plan is to get through week 3 and finish the topic one quiz by the end of next sunday, then the week after I'll probably try to get as much of the TMA done as possible, which would then put me at about 5 weeks ahead if i'm successful.
The_Lonely_Goatherd
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 5 months ago
Breaking things down and mixing things up by interspersing chores with uni stuff sounds like a really good idea

French windows sound lush! You lucky thing!

Oooh brownies :drool:

Sounds like you're doing great hun! :hugs:
claireestelle
Rep:
?
(Original post by The_Lonely_Goatherd)
Breaking things down and mixing things up by interspersing chores with uni stuff sounds like a really good idea

French windows sound lush! You lucky thing!

Oooh brownies :drool:

Sounds like you're doing great hun! :hugs:
thank you i can't make myself concentrate for hours at a time, i spent a long time try to make myself do it when i was younger so i don't do it anymore.
The_Lonely_Goatherd
Rep:
?
Report 5 months ago
(Original post by claireestelle)
thank you i can't make myself concentrate for hours at a time, i spent a long time try to make myself do it when i was younger so i don't do it anymore.
I find it hard to concentrate too. But it sounds like you know what works for you and what doesn't, and have developed good habits over the years :congrats: Which I can't say is true of me
CoolCavy
Rep:
?
Report 5 months ago
Proud of you Claire :heart: you're going to smash it :jumphug:
I AM GROOT 1
Rep:
?
Report 5 months ago
Best of luck :rave:
claireestelle
Rep:
?
(Original post by CoolCavy)
Proud of you Claire :heart: you're going to smash it :jumphug:
(Original post by I AM GROOT 1)
Best of luck :rave:
thank you both
ianm69
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 5 months ago
HI, just joined this blog today, and just finishing up the EMA for SDK100; its a brilliant course but I struggled after health complications (not course related but I wish I knew this sh**t beforehand ( :-) ).

Anyway, there is a maths guide in the OU, which you can access from your studenthome page, you'll see it on the left side. Read it - it will help you greatly on this course. Also, there is an online digital microscope you need to use and understand, but do teh practice session and read the pre-notes beforehand, it wil take teh stress out of it and bring understanding. Oh, and there is a brilliant girl who is blind also started on this course , and while it will be difficult - no-one else has any excuses...... Submit reply
claireestelle
Rep:
?
(Original post by ianm69)
HI, just joined this blog today, and just finishing up the EMA for SDK100; its a brilliant course but I struggled after health complications (not course related but I wish I knew this sh**t beforehand ( :-) ).

Anyway, there is a maths guide in the OU, which you can access from your studenthome page, you'll see it on the left side. Read it - it will help you greatly on this course. Also, there is an online digital microscope you need to use and understand, but do teh practice session and read the pre-notes beforehand, it wil take teh stress out of it and bring understanding. Oh, and there is a brilliant girl who is blind also started on this course , and while it will be difficult - no-one else has any excuses...... Submit reply
Hello, thank you for your advice.
My mum is a maths teacher and fortunately I inherited some of her skills so I m quite comfortable with it.
I think I m just getting to the digital microscope question for the TMA now.
claireestelle
Rep:
?
Update 4:
So I got some slightly bad news on sunday evening so I just didn't feel like studying on monday and decided not to force it when I wasn't in a great frame of mind.
On a more positive note I've already met my goal before saturday, turns out I can't do one of the questions of the TMA at all until the module officially starts so I've now done as much of that as I can and will have to dedicate a few hours finishing it next month.

Each module has topic quizzes to check your understanding and i got a decent percentage of that right so i m hoping that bodes well for my TMA, I'm quietly confident that I'll have gotten a decent amount of marks in the bag from the maths questions. The other topics in the module I'm not going to be as familiar with as previously so if I can get decent marks to start with it won't matter if i don't do as well.

So tonight, I've started a little bit of the nutrition topic and i'm now apparently about 25% through the module although that doesn't seem overly accurate.As i m working saturday morning, I m going to give myself the day off studying as a reward and to get through some housework.
DrawTheLine
Rep:
?
Report 5 months ago
Ooh I hadn't noticed this blog before :ahee: will be watching. Don't know much about the OU so will be interesting to learn about it more too

Spoiler:
Show
also here for the cat pics
claireestelle
Rep:
?
(Original post by DrawTheLine)
Ooh I hadn't noticed this blog before :ahee: will be watching. Don't know much about the OU so will be interesting to learn about it more too

Spoiler:
Show
also here for the cat pics
the cat pictures will mostly be desk based with the occasional studying on the sofa with her sat in the middle :P
DrawTheLine
Rep:
?
Report 5 months ago
(Original post by claireestelle)
the cat pictures will mostly be desk based with the occasional studying on the sofa with her sat in the middle :P
:emog:
The_Lonely_Goatherd
Rep:
?
Report 5 months ago
Sorry to hear you had some bad news - thinking of you :console:
claireestelle
Rep:
?
Sorry to hear you had some bad news - thinking of you :console:
Thank you, I m okay just have to wait to hear how bad it is and it just put me in a bad mood for that day.
claireestelle
Rep:
?
Update 5:
So instead of giving myself yesterday off, I took friday evening off instead. I've gotten through almost three sections of topic 2 which I'm very pleased about as there's chemistry involved and I fortunately remember quite a bit of it.

I'm now almost finished with week 5 of the module and I've had a look at TMA 2 which has an experiment, a line graph and 750 words to write so it ll take me a fair bit more time than what i've been able to do of TMA 1, and very likely more than the week which they allocate for you to prepare the assignment. I don't think i've ever written 750 words in a week before, in my previous studies i'd do 2000 word essays spread out over 4 weeks usually. But despite this I'm hopeful to try and keep 4 weeks ahead so i can comfortably start DE100 in january and then I might depending on what life holds for me in the next 5 years have my degree complete in 5 years instead of 6.

My plan up until friday is to try and get finish week 5 and do as much of week 6 as possible. I'm also trying finding being in the forums and a whatsapp group quite helpful so far which is great
claireestelle
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 months ago
Update 6:
So this week has gone really well, I've covered malnutrition, food groups and the digestive system and the basics of cell respiration which surprisingly I remember from my gcses 7/8 years ago.

I haven't needed to take a day off this week so gotten further than I planned to and just started on week 7, so my plan for january now is to perhaps take 2/3 weeks off from this module once I start the DE100 one as i'll have some time built in to be ahead and i don't have any prior psychology knowledge to work off. I've also been doing some balancing equations practice which after a couple of attempts also all starting coming back to me, I seem to remember much more than i thought i would do. I've also made a good dent in the topic quiz so it seems everything is sticking in.

The plan for the next week is to finish week 7 and try to get started on week 8 so that come the beginning of october I might be able to start TMA 2.
The_Lonely_Goatherd
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
Wow, sounds like you're on a roll! Well done hun :king1: :dance:
claireestelle
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 months ago
Wow, sounds like you're on a roll! Well done hun :king1: :dance:
Thank you I m finding other students get quite upset if you ever say you ve already started, thinking I might contact people who I know are instead.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

People at uni: do initiations (like heavy drinking) put you off joining sports societies?

Yes (197)
67.93%
No (93)
32.07%

Watched Threads